Modelling Spam Cans (Bulleid Pacifics)

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

I picked up a Blackmoor Vale on eBay the other day, from a dealer, unboxed BIN £55. Very original - all the wheel sets were far too narrow, so it must have been disappointing owners for more than a decade! Now runs rather better as the wheels have been given a good talking-to. This sort of price/condition makes these tempting for those wishing to rename/renumber. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I picked up a Blackmoor Vale on eBay the other day, from a dealer, unboxed BIN £55. Very original - all the wheel sets were far too narrow, so it must have been disappointing owners for more than a decade! Now runs rather better as the wheels have been given a good talking-to. This sort of price/condition makes these tempting for those wishing to rename/renumber. 

I had the Southern  Railway liveried 'Blackmoor Vale' that had the short smoke deflectors which I replaced. It got a repaint and became ' Wadebridge' with cut down tender. It also now has the alterations to the roof to bring it up to an early 60'3 version.

One of the first things that I check is the back to back as most do require tweaking.

I keep saying that I mustn't get any more but when I see them for a good price I get a little bit closer to all 110 of them.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I had the Southern  Railway liveried 'Blackmoor Vale' that had the short smoke deflectors which I replaced. It got a repaint and became ' Wadebridge' with cut down tender. It also now has the alterations to the roof to bring it up to an early 60'3 version.

One of the first things that I check is the back to back as most do require tweaking.

I keep saying that I mustn't get any more but when I see them for a good price I get a little bit closer to all 110 of them.

What did you do to alter the roof roundhouse?  I may need to do this?

Cheers

Pete

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Early China models from Hornby like this one had a 14.2mm back-to-back that was subsequently changed to 14.5mm. I have 34067 Tangmere that also had 14.2mm wheelsets and it would intermittently short out DCC on code 75 slips. Now fixed by easing out to the wider measurement. Needed all wheels doing, including the tender etc. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PeteN92 said:

What did you do to alter the roof roundhouse?  I may need to do this?

Cheers

Pete

The safety valves require filling in and using RT Models casting a hole cut in the updated location. Also I have used styrene strips to form the modified chimney area. The one currently on the workbench has the safety valves repositioned but yet to do the chimney area.

20190920_085753.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

The safety valves require filling in and using RT Models casting a hole cut in the updated location. Also I have used styrene strips to form the modified chimney area. The one currently on the workbench has the safety valves repositioned but yet to do the chimney area.

20190920_085753.jpg

Anyone got thoughts on how to do the opposite ? - I've a couple of ( undecorated ) Wrenn bodies with two-valve recesses and want to back-date them to three-valve style.

• 1 month later...

I have a couple of questions, that I would like answered or my thoughts confirmed regarding details for 34005 Barnstaple

in original form .... 

I am wanting to finish 34005 as running in circa 1956 ...

Questions I have,   What colour background to the Nameplate ?

Tender details .... 4500 gallon in original condition, ie high sided ?

Extended Smoke deflectors ?

Livery,  BR Green with Early Emblem ?

34005 Barnstaple at Nine Elms 0356

Many thanks, 

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I am away from my reference book, but am sure the extended deflectors were in place until rebuilding, as they were on Yeovil. I suspect that the boiler pressure would have been reduced before 1956, though, and that means the safety valves would be in rear of the whistle. BR green and early emblem would seem very likely in 1956. Unable to help with the other details. 

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rebodying my 35050 tender (4500 to 5500g).

Are there any differences in the chassis between the two types as modelled by Hornby. SLL Website suggests some differences in brake arrangements, but does Hornby have two different sets of parts? If so what might need changing and what part number?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Rebodying my 35050 tender (4500 to 5500g).

Are there any differences in the chassis between the two types as modelled by Hornby. SLL Website suggests some differences in brake arrangements, but does Hornby have two different sets of parts? If so what might need changing and what part number?

Any differences in brake-gear between SR-built 4500g and BR-built 5500g tenders are (AFAIK) confined to the vac cylinder/cross-shaft area, which Hornby leaves more-or-less alone to make room for the coupling.

So long as you have the tender body specifically provided by Hornby to replace the incorrect 4500g one initially supplied with the 34050 model, it's a straight swap.

Hornby completely retooled the tenders when they fitted all the DCC gubbins back there. If your body comes from an earlier model (one without the wires between loco and tender) you will need to modify the mountings to fit the new-style chassis.  

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Any differences in brake-gear between SR-built 4500g and BR-built 5500g tenders are (AFAIK) confined to the vac cylinder/cross-shaft area, which Hornby leaves more-or-less alone to make room for the coupling.

So long as you have the tender body specifically provided by Hornby to replace the incorrect 4500g one initially supplied with the 34050 model, it's a straight swap.

Hornby completely retooled the tenders when they fitted all the DCC gubbins back there. If your body comes from an earlier model (one without the wires between loco and tender) you will need to modify the mountings to fit the new-style chassis.  

John  

Thanks John, that what I assumed.

The replacement body is that produced by Hornby so the same screw holes.

I'm planning on refitting the redundent 4500g body to a spare chassis (revised screw location, but using a Q1 keeper plate as that is all that was available in stock!). Will then end up with a spare Bulleid tender lying around!

On 11/11/2019 at 16:56, Staffordshire said:

I have a couple of questions, that I would like answered or my thoughts confirmed regarding details for 34005 Barnstaple

in original form .... 

I am wanting to finish 34005 as running in circa 1956 ...

Questions I have,   What colour background to the Nameplate ?

Tender details .... 4500 gallon in original condition, ie high sided ?

Extended Smoke deflectors ?

Livery,  BR Green with Early Emblem ?

34005 Barnstaple at Nine Elms 0356

Many thanks, 

Ian

Nameplate colour: Black, in the photo compare it with the red ground of the plaque; Barnstaple's is a grey castle on a red background

All other details as seen in the photograph: extended deflectors, original condition tender, early crest.

Glenn

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

#OnThisDay 1874: Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was born at Blenheim Palace. The Southern Railway named 21C151 after him.

5E628E0A-E130-4633-B191-0D6BE4AE2B32.jpeg.dbd2c4feef2be43e5f26d982575b7ced.jpeg

I was looking at your photo of 21C151 and noticed that the centre yellow stripe continues across the flat front part of the cab which I thought was odd, until I looked at my renumbered 21C165 and 21C166 models that are on my workbench and they have the same feature (mine are ex-21C159 from a Hornby set, I suspect your model was too?)  ... I am sure it is incorrect but I will check.

Nice job, I like the nod to the extended deflector with the slight change of hue in the malachite. Just remember to replace 'the pipe' under the cab, you know the one that always breaks off!

Glenn

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Glenn 

Yes I have used A few of Hornby’s 21C159 split from sets as the basis of renumberings. 

Well spotted regarding the intended effect of the extended smoke deflector from the original short version to the later standard length.
I have used an often published photograph of 21C151 in this condition as the basis for this model, and yes the short yellow strip on the front face of the cab is correct (but was often obscured by dirt). 

17 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Hi Glenn 

Yes I have used A few of Hornby’s 21C159 split from sets as the basis of renumberings. 

Well spotted regarding the intended effect of the extended smoke deflector from the original short version to the later standard length.
I have used an often published photograph of 21C151 in this condition as the basis for this model, and yes the short yellow strip on the front face of the cab is correct (but was often obscured by dirt). 

Graham,

I had a look at 'The Book of ... ' this morning and was pleased to see that Hornby got it right regarding the yellow lining, there are plenty of photos of new light pacifics with this feature, something I had been blissfully unaware of until now.

21C165 and 66 are renumbered, but little else has been done to them, I think I will add the Fox etched roundel to the smokebox as it adds relief. 21C165 has had the original glazing unit removed as she would have had two glass panels in this condition, I will post some photos on here once the pair are completed.

Glenn

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The last few weeks of lockdown have been spent running various locos including numerous light Pacifics.

Currently rebuilt 34058 'Sir Frederick Pile' & 34077 '603Squadron' have had a good run on the High Line plus gave has further weathering. The photos taken just after Dullcote had been applied in the spray booth. The spray booth has been very handy since fitting the extractor vent through the shed wall a few weeks ago and has been used for various weathering commissions, the latest being around 120 O scale crates and oil drums.

More Bulleid light Pacifics to get similar treatment in the next few weeks.

20200622_130616.jpg

20200622_130311.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Has anyone fitted the  cab available from RT Models and can give me some advice, I have a WC en-route and have ordered said cab!

I wonder if @Graham_Muz has yet ? RT himself does have a little guide on his small traders page, when he first talked about releasing it. Will be keeping a close eye as I plan on doing the same at some point.

Pete

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had a go at adding the Bulleid original Square cab to my 21C155 'Fighter Pilot' donor body

50303179266_d0ae91bc6d_h.jpg

I'm also in the throes of adding the cast ashpan, and some of the other detailing bits from the RT/ex-Albert Goodall range. I've only done the building of the cab and some initial fettling, more is needed, plus a good clean before the cab is araldited in place.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

9 hours ago, Jack P said:

I had a go at adding the Bulleid original Square cab to my 21C155 'Fighter Pilot' donor body

50303179266_d0ae91bc6d_h.jpg

I'm also in the throes of adding the cast ashpan, and some of the other detailing bits from the RT/ex-Albert Goodall range. I've only done the building of the cab and some initial fettling, more is needed, plus a good clean before the cab is araldited in place.

I was interested to see this as I have an order from RT models on its way.

This includes the early cab etch, plus regular deflectors to enable me to convert a cheapo "Blackmore Vale", probably into 34015, as the original cab stayed on that one for several years.

John.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

I was interested to see this as I have an order from RT models on its way.

This includes the early cab etch, plus regular deflectors to enable me to convert a cheapo "Blackmore Vale", probably into 34015, as the original cab stayed on that one for several years.

John.

34015 emerged from overhaul with the revised cab in March 1957, having kept the original type at least three years later than any other West Country. 

My modelling period has "spread" almost back that far [!] , so I'll be adding one of these etches to the order for other RT Bulleid bits I'm currently compiling. 

John

• Friendly/supportive 1