Modelling Spam Cans (Bulleid Pacifics)

roundhouse

If I may join the club...

20200906_120657.jpg.c3ea2569af1c7a5e216f3d779787c630.jpg

603 Squadron dropping down the 1 in 50 from my high level terminus. The odd position of the tender is because I am awaiting a suitable 8 pin chip.  Any recommendations? I'm not after a sound one at this point. 

I hope to get some more models of Ron Jarvis' finest.  With a gang of green coaches, they just look righteous...

It's only taken me 37 years to replace my beloved and sadly broken Wrenn Barnstaple...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

If I may join the club...

603 Squadron dropping down the 1 in 50 from my high level terminus. The odd position of the tender is because I am awaiting a suitable 8 pin chip.  Any recommendations? I'm not after a sound one at this point. 

I have no particular favourites but if Zimo do an 8 pin in their £20 decoder  range then that would be my preference these days. Mine have anything form the basic Hornby decoder through Digitrax, Lenz and TC, basically anything that I had in my decoders box, mainly from other locos that have had a sound decoder fitted. The most recent decoders where older Loksound 3.5 removed from USA locos, reblown by Howes then fitted into  a couple of Bulleid light pacifics as the larger 100ohm speakers on those older decoders fit fine in the tenders.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have installed the Zimo MX600R 8-pin decoder on my collection of light pacifics. They run nicely though the big bugbear with these locos for me, apart from the occasional split gear, are the narrow back-to-backs which can cause shorting issues on Peco Code 75 Bullhead Unifrog points. 

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Latest one to join my small fleet of these beautiful locomotives   .....

34006  Bude   built from a Westward kit, with Markits and RT models detailing parts ....

Next hope to model 34004 Yeovil in similar condition, with high Raved Tender .

Help appreciated on sourcing a Westward kit .... 

Cheers, Ian

Bude.34006.2.jpg

Bude.34006.3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I want to produce 34103 Calstock in early 60s condition (used on the S&D then).  This loco was unrebuilt and had a wide cab but narrow cut down tender because its wide tender went to a rebuild.  I dont think Hornby produce this combination, so I need to do a bit of swapping.  I've got a 34091 Weymouth (wide cab and wide cut down tender)  so need to find a rebuild (all wide cabs)  fitted with a narrow cut down tender so I can do a tender swop.  I know Hornby have made this combination but which one do I have to find ?     

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Combe Martin said:

I want to produce 34103 Calstock in early 60s condition (used on the S&D then).  This loco was unrebuilt and had a wide cab but narrow cut down tender because its wide tender went to a rebuild.  I dont think Hornby produce this combination, so I need to do a bit of swapping.  I've got a 34091 Weymouth (wide cab and wide cut down tender)  so need to find a rebuild (all wide cabs)  fitted with a narrow cut down tender so I can do a tender swop.  I know Hornby have made this combination but which one do I have to find ?     

The easiest to find will probably be 34058 Sir Frederick Pile (R2709). In the past, I attempted to test run a non-rebuilt (don't remember which) with the tender from a Rebuilt (Plymouth) and got a dead short because the tenders were wired to opposite polarities. You may therefore need to swap the bodies over rather than just exchanging the complete tenders.

Beware newer ones (e.g. Trevone / 603 Squadron) because the tender chassis and coupling have been changed to accommodate DCC and sound and the body mounts are in different places.

If you aren't bothered by having to deal with that, Royal Observer Corps was initially issued (incorrectly) with a 4500g tender and Hornby sent out 5500g replacement bodies, so you may be able to find one of the smaller bodies on its own.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1

If the polarity of the tender is the opposite to the loco surely it's a straight forward job to unsolder a couple of wires from somewhere in the tender and then re-solder them the opposite way round, or am I over simplyfying  things ?.  Though as this would have to be done to both tenders (with the tops off) I agree simply swapping the bodies is even easier as long as the body mounts are the same.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Combe Martin said:

If the polarity of the tender is the opposite to the loco surely it's a straight forward job to unsolder a couple of wires from somewhere in the tender and then re-solder them the opposite way round, or am I over simplyfying  things ?.  Though as this would have to be done to both tenders (with the tops off) I agree simply swapping the bodies is even easier as long as the body mounts are the same.

If you use an older rebuilt (i.e. one that predates the introduction of the 4-way plug between loco and tender), the mountings will match your Weymouth so it's just a case of swapping the tender bodies over. You'd have to remove them to resolder the pick-ups anyway.

The down side is that your desired Calstock (and my planned 34106 Lydford) didn't carry crests so there's a need to make good where they come off the donor loco. Consequently, mine will be achieved by a full repaint of a malachite 92 Squadron that I bought for spares but have since got running. Unless I am very fortunate, I'll also have to repaint the 4500g tender (ex-Wilton, and mint) that I acquired for a very reasonable £30 at an exhibition a couple of years ago. The left-over chassis is destined for an old Wrenn 5250g body to make 34031 Torrington.

John

• RMweb Gold

My most recent renumbering project. This loco was obtained second hand and had a few mechanical issues but easily fixed. The plates came from Fox Transfers and numerous parts from RT. I have seen a photo of 34072 in a very dirty condition so the loco now reflects this. The loco has been fitted with a Zimo decoder and has now run many hours on the High Line test circuit.

20210409_170611-picsay.jpg

• Like 8

On 19/04/2021 at 11:58, Dunsignalling said:

The down side is that your desired Calstock (and my planned 34106 Lydford) didn't carry crests so there's a need to make good where they come off the donor loco. Consequently, mine will be achieved by a full repaint of a malachite 92 Squadron that I bought for spares but have since got running. Unless I am very fortunate, I'll also have to repaint the 4500g tender (ex-Wilton, and mint) that I acquired for a very reasonable £30 at an exhibition a couple of years ago. The left-over chassis is destined for an old Wrenn 5250g body to make 34031 Torrington.

John

So what other wide cab/wide tender un-rebuilt Bullieds in BR green that had no crests have Hornby produced ? so that I could swap in a narrow tender and avoid a full re-spray .  

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Combe Martin said:

So what other wide cab/wide tender un-rebuilt Bullieds in BR green that had no crests have Hornby produced ? so that I could swap in a narrow tender and avoid a full re-spray .  

None, unfortunately, and they've only done three wide-cab non-rebuilts* with them AFAIK! I've been hoping they'd eventually do one but no show so far.

Just one (the highly collectible City of Wells) has a 4500g tender, albeit with high sides. I think that, if they ever do another, it'll likely come with a cut-down small tender anyway because of that. Also, only 34091 / 9 / 102 / 7 ended up with cut-down big ones, and the two they haven't done would be what we'd want!

John

* EDIT: Excluding any with Battle of Britain names.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,   I am hoping someone maybe able to answer a couple of questions, concerning Dorchester 34042 ?

I want to model the loco in her original guise  circa1958.

My two questions are ....

What colour would the Nameplate be ,   Red or Black ? 

What  background colour would the Shield have ,   Cream or Blue ?

Thanks in advance, 

Ian 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 21/05/2021 at 11:58, Staffordshire said:

Hello,   I am hoping someone maybe able to answer a couple of questions, concerning Dorchester 34042 ?

I want to model the loco in her original guise  circa1958.

My two questions are ....

What colour would the Nameplate be ,   Red or Black ? 

What  background colour would the Shield have ,   Cream or Blue ?

Thanks in advance, 

Ian 

Hi there. Did you eventually find the answers?

Its one that I have yet to model and would be in its last condition as rebuilt.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby featured an air-smoothed 34042 "Dorchester" in their R2908 "Fireworks at Chilcompton" train pack, inspired by a Barry Freeman painting.

FWIW, theirs has red nameplates and pale blue backgrounds to the shields.

34042 went into works for rebuilding towards the end of 1958 and the model looks appropriate for the period immediately preceding that. 

As a Bournemouth engine, mainly used on the Somerset & Dorset route, I had thought published photos would be plentiful. However, colour coverage of that line seems to be pretty scanty before 1961, by which time 34042 had been rebuilt.

Hopefully Mr Freeman and/or Hornby had better luck looking than I have. 

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

A question to the collected wisdom on here, to do with 34090, "Sir Eustace Missenden".

There is a picture by Graham Muz on page 1 of this thread, in the SR malachite livery but with BR early emblem and also numerals on the cabside, and I wondered if this was a Hornby one?

A week or two back, I picked up one of these on ebay. Interesting I thought as the tender emblem on malachite appears quite rare. However my example has plain black wheels, rather than the green that a Google of Hornby R2692 suggests they should be, and as Graham's are, albeit heavily weathered. So I suspect someone has done a chassis change somewhere.

I don't particularly mind, as I think it's highly unlikely green wheels at the time would have looked anything but a mess in service, it being very unlikely that anyone would have cleaned them. However, I would be interested to know if the real loco did at some stage have green wheels, and if so how long they lasted. Research in various books has turned up a blank.

Many thanks.

John.

Further to my last post, I think I've worked out what happened to the chassis.

It appears that I now have a later period chassis without the springing on the rear driving axle and also a chip. So someone must have done a swap to make DCC installation simpler.

I'd still love to know the reality of the colour of the wheels on the loco, if anyone can help please?

John.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

A question to the collected wisdom on here, to do with 34090, "Sir Eustace Missenden".

There is a picture by Graham Muz on page 1 of this thread, in the SR malachite livery but with BR early emblem and also numerals on the cabside, and I wondered if this was a Hornby one?

A week or two back, I picked up one of these on ebay. Interesting I thought as the tender emblem on malachite appears quite rare. However my example has plain black wheels, rather than the green that a Google of Hornby R2692 suggests they should be, and as Graham's are, albeit heavily weathered. So I suspect someone has done a chassis change somewhere.

I don't particularly mind, as I think it's highly unlikely green wheels at the time would have looked anything but a mess in service, it being very unlikely that anyone would have cleaned them. However, I would be interested to know if the real loco did at some stage have green wheels, and if so how long they lasted. Research in various books has turned up a blank.

Many thanks.

John.

1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

Further to my last post, I think I've worked out what happened to the chassis.

It appears that I now have a later period chassis without the springing on the rear driving axle and also a chip. So someone must have done a swap to make DCC installation simpler.

I'd still love to know the reality of the colour of the wheels on the loco, if anyone can help please?

John.

Hi John, 

Yes mine is the Hornby model and it should indeed have lined green wheels, the only light pacific to be so treated and kept them (although probably hard to see after a while in service) until she was repainted in BR Green in March 1952 .  Malachite with with the BR emblem was unusual (hand painted in the case of 34090) and only carried on malachite by only three other members of the class. 

It should also be noted that the background colour for the Hornby nameplates on 34090 is incorrect as red and should be light blue as per those on the BoB locos. I have changed mine for etched plates from Fox Transfers but haven't yet photographed her so corrected.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby wheels appear to be kosher. Bear in mind the loco was to be named at Waterloo by Sir Eustace himself, and Derry, page 24 says "34090, for its naming ceremony, was in malachite green with '....the wheels in malachite green instead of black with yellow tyres and the hubs outlined with a narrow yellow line'. Tender wheels remained black with the tyres painted yellow to match the engine lining."

I have one and think it looks delightful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst back in this topic, I though I would add a few pics of a couple of Hornby Merchant Navy conversions forward dated to 1947. 

21c3_13.jpg.7eb0051dd40a2e40d7c591fb74c7c81e.jpg21c3_10.jpg.3501a4f8c3358212392a2acec05ad820.jpgGRM_21c7_1.jpg.058d40d65737f4811ec4eb7a9f14ff98.jpg 

Details on the conversion can be read here https://southern-railway.com/2021/07/14/workbench-witterings-11-forward-dating-Hornby-bulleid-merchant-navy-21c3-to-1947-condition/

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Hi John, 

Yes mine is the Hornby model and it should indeed have lined green wheels, the only light pacific to be so treated and kept them (although probably hard to see after a while in service) until she was repainted in BR Green in March 1952 .  Malachite with with the BR emblem was unusual (hand painted in the case of 34090) and only carried on malachite by only three other members of the class. 

It should also be noted that the background colour for the Hornby nameplates on 34090 is incorrected red and should be light blue as per those on the BoB locos. I have changed mine for etched plates from Fox Transfers but haven't yet photographed her so corrected.

41 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The Hornby wheels appear to be kosher. Bear in mind the loco was to be named at Waterloo by Sir Eustace himself, and Derry, page 24 says "34090, for its naming ceremony, was in malachite green with '....the wheels in malachite green instead of black with yellow tyres and the hubs outlined with a narrow yellow line'. Tender wheels remained black with the tyres painted yellow to match the engine lining."

I have one and think it looks delightful. 

Thanks to you both for your very helpful answers.

I must have missed the bit in Derry - I assume this is the Irwell Book of the WC's and BB's. Must try harder!!

John.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone had any experience with the brake rigging on the current merchant class? I managed to pop off 2 mounting pins just getting it out of the package. Will any super glue work or is it engineering plastic?

Edited by Cofga

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 27/09/2021 at 23:49, Cofga said:

Anyone had any experience with the brake rigging on the current merchant class? I managed to pop off 2 mounting pins just getting it out of the package. Will any super glue work or is it engineering plastic?

I have used Superglue 'Gel' ok in the past, others do suggest drilling rigging and mounting point to fix with a track pin.

5 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

I have used Superglue 'Gel' ok in the past, others do suggest drilling rigging and mounting point to fix with a track pin.

Agreed.

Take a Peco thin track pin; trim off the fixing lugs on the brake pull-rod and drill the rod to be a press fit onto the pin; pass the pin through the hole in the bottom of the brake hanger from behind - ie. with the pin head adjacent to the wheel; then press the pin through the brake pull-rod so that most of the pin protrudes away from the wheel; and trim off the surplus pin with cutters.

This takes less time to do than to type!

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3