Jump to content

Modelling Spam Cans (Bulleid Pacifics)


roundhouse
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

 

I have used Superglue 'Gel' ok in the past, others do suggest drilling rigging and mounting point to fix with a track pin.

I ended up drilling them out and installing brass wire pins then attached the brake rods using Loctite super glue gel. So far they are holding. I also downloaded the Merchant Navy and Battle of Britain/West Country sound packages from the LokSound website and cannot tell the difference among them even though some are original and some are rebuilt. So I assume they just used the same recording for all versions of the Bulleid Pacifics.

Edited by Cofga
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 08/10/2021 at 12:31, Wickham Green too said:

If they ARE the same sounds they shouldn't be marketing them as different.

Technically they are not marketing them as they are a free download. Three versions are available: (1) WC, (2) WC Un-R, (3) MN. Since they specify Un-R for one project I assume the other two represent rebuilt versions but I cannot hear any differences with the exception of platform announcements. You can listen online to the sound clips http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/7?type=steam&order=date&country=gb maybe you can tell the differences.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cofga said:

Technically they are not marketing them as they are a free download. Three versions are available: (1) WC, (2) WC Un-R, (3) MN. Since they specify Un-R for one project I assume the other two represent rebuilt versions but I cannot hear any differences with the exception of platform announcements. You can listen online to the sound clips http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/7?type=steam&order=date&country=gb maybe you can tell the differences.

TBH, most of the time, it's difficult to tell the prototypes apart aurally without a lot of practice. 

 

I used to be able to do it with a "better than random" degree of success, but that was back when one could readily listen to all three types "live" on the same day under similar working conditions. 

 

Old videos should be disregarded; almost all are dubbed, with many using sound from entirely different classes, often without even the correct number of cylinders being involved! New ones (and perhaps the odd older clip that has been re-done) often include the sound of preservation-era air-brake pumps.   

 

For me, at least, such identification would be mostly luck these days, and there's clearly not (yet) an extant loco from which to create an authentic sound file for a non-rebuilt MN, anyway.....

 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

A couple of days progress backdating a Hornby MN to be 21c11 General Steam Navigation in her 1947 condition. 
The modification so far involves a new original flat fronted style cab, moving the safety valves to original forward location, replacement brass smoke deflectors (temporarily fitted prior to removal for painting) and the unique to No.11 front 'bulbous' fairings. 
A few more things to add such as lamp irons and electric lamps and she will then be ready for repainting into malachite. ADAED3A1-4AA5-448E-B3EA-A4F4D87DB150.jpeg.353bc4f676259534176ccbbe00978831.jpeg1E0C79CF-D41F-4D2E-AD90-03B8479513D4.jpeg.04acbed169351207140972a4c4116639.jpeg9A93F4DB-B61E-43D3-9165-1CC127C71C73.jpeg.bf77f74eb880c5ad7d69db04e1185334.jpeg681957A6-7672-4FAC-B23B-EB2B5A4B1565.jpeg.baf1de5a4cc4e491f0e9166c536be3db.jpegA5C6C7BA-5582-4A67-ADEF-B0F06F764159.jpeg.4f4a91717a2cf729b5cf642b3686b1ab.jpeg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Just to give this thread a bit of a bump, like a lot of people I have been going through my 'to do' boxes and finally plucked up courage to have a go at some Kemiilway  etched chassis kits that I have had salted away for about 40 years. I had some spare Hornby loco bodies and tenders acquired over time plus some Markits drivers so outlay was minimal. The Kemilway chassis is equalised (similar I believe to the subsequent Comet version) and providing it is assembled carefully results in a free running chassis. What did cause me a lot of aggro was the cylinders/slidebar assemblies which are made up from a series of individual etches - simple in theory but difficult to solder without all becoming solid! I did not use the prototypical brake rod sets behind the driving wheels as I felt they would hardly be seen and would be likely to cause shorting (outside pull rods were insulated with sellotape. The Hornby bodysides received a lining of sheet lead to increase weight and cylinder drain pipe assemblies and steps were obtained from the new Hornby Merchant Navy accessory spares. It runs very well but does not slip like the prototype!

 

DSCF3319.JPG.b1484734786c32fb989fd10fef12187b.JPG

 

I had 4 chassis kits (obtained from Albert Goodall himself) and have so far built 34015 Exmouth and 34063 229 Squadron, the last one under construction will be 34020 Seaton; I would have preferred 34065 Hurricane but the donor body is a 'Bude' and the badge marks are too prominent.     

  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful... I have a long term light Pacific project and dug out a kemilway chassis kit I brought back in 1976.... found 2.1/5 Airfix kits as well.

 

My Project will end up as a miniture railway Westcountry in 7/8ths scale as a 10.1/4" loco... 

 

Still unsure whether I'll use the chassis kit might just hunt up a Hornby WC instead... early days at the mo will build an Airfix kit first as a trial run before I go ahead to far

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

My latest little project to back date a Hornby Model Railways Merchant Navy as 21c11 General Steam Navigation as she was post 11/01/1947 is nearly complete.
She has a scratch built original style flat fronted cab, repositioned safety valves, Stones generator replaced and moved to correct position, etched defectors and scratch made, unique to GSN, bulbous front cylinder fairings. 
For details on the project to restore the real 21c11/35011 back to original condition see https://35011gsn.co.uk

F60D605C-AC95-45A7-9994-8BE836254A14.jpeg.56ba7ac342ffc6b30768c61362c35cc0.jpegB4FC5271-E7B4-4147-AFDD-984B9A4E0739.jpeg.8d719d35a15f3157eedb5878f994493a.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Any ideas when Hornby might be doing another release of the WCC/BOB class models? With the apparent scarcity the prices on eBay have gotten ridiculous unless you are happy with the old ones oversized wheel flanges. Also about when did they start using 5 pole skew wound motors in them? 

 

I am about ready to go back for a black Aberdeen Commonwealth to add to my blue East Asiatic and Green Channel Packet. They are the best running steam locos I have bought in a long time and are a lot cheaper than any of the recent WCC/BOB class models I have seen lately.

Edited by Cofga
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Cofga said:

Any ideas when Hornby might be doing another release of the WCC/BOB class models? With the apparent scarcity the prices on eBay have gotten ridiculous unless you are happy with the old ones oversized wheel flanges. Also about when did they start using 5 pole skew wound motors in them? 

 

I am about ready to go back for a black Aberdeen Commonwealth to add to my blue East Asiatic and Green Channel Packet. They are the best running steam locos I have bought in a long time and are a lot cheaper than any of the recent WCC/BOB class models I have seen lately.

There may be one in the announcements on the 10th.

 

More likely to be a rebuilt, I think (simply because the last one wasn't) but you can never tell. With the recent price hike on top of what they wanted for Winston Churchill, expect the RRP to be nudging £250. 

 

There are still a fair number of the those models still obtainable, but that may be because it had been done twice before (a NRM edition from 2005 or thereabouts and more recently in the Funeral Train pack). Apart from die-hard collectors, those of us who have either of those, presumably weren't interested.

 

Objectively (ha, ha. Me, objective?), I have enough Light Pacifics (30+) to be going on with unless they come up with something different, like a wide-cab air-smoothed loco paired with a cut-down 4500g tender or they were at last to tool up a 5250g BR-rebodied one to go behind a rebuilt.

 

If it were just to be a new name/number (unless its one of a few personal favourites that I haven't already obtained by renaming) it probably wouldn't tempt me. Mind you, if it were the only new Southern loco in a sea of LNER/ER, I might yet be persuaded.... 

 

The can motors came in with the all-new non-rebuilts about twenty years ago; the first were Blackmoor Vale, Wilton, Tangmere and 91 Squadron IIRC. Look out for four-digit catalogue numbers, anything with only three is derived from the old Tri-ang one.

 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Objectively (ha, ha. Me, objective?), I have enough Light Pacifics (30+) to be going on with unless they come up with something different, like a wide-cab air-smoothed loco paired with a cut-down 4500g tender or they were at last to tool up a 5250g BR-rebodied one to go behind a rebuilt.

 

John

 

Me too, yes please, both of these please.

 

How about 34103 Calstock (flat top),  and 34046 Braunton (rebuilt) both of which were used on the Somerset & Dorset in the 60's

 

Peter..

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Combe Martin said:

 

Me too, yes please, both of these please.

 

How about 34103 Calstock (flat top),  and 34046 Braunton (rebuilt) both of which were used on the Somerset & Dorset in the 60's

 

Peter..

 

 

Those two, and for me, also 34031 Torrington (rebuilt) and 34106 Lydford.

 

Ah, well, that's seen off nearly a grand of my slush fund...:)

 

John

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

There may be one in the announcements on the 10th.

 

More likely to be a rebuilt, I think (simply because the last one wasn't) but you can never tell. With the recent price hike on top of what they wanted for Winston Churchill, expect the RRP to be nudging £250. 

 

There are still a fair number of the those models still obtainable, but that may be because it had been done twice before (a NRM edition from 2005 or thereabouts and more recently in the Funeral Train pack). Apart from die-hard collectors, those of us who have either of those, presumably weren't interested.

 

Objectively (ha, ha. Me, objective?), I have enough Light Pacifics (30+) to be going on with unless they come up with something different, like a wide-cab air-smoothed loco paired with a cut-down 4500g tender or they were at last to tool up a 5250g BR-rebodied one to go behind a rebuilt.

 

If it were just to be a new name/number (unless its one of a few personal favourites that I haven't already obtained by renaming) it probably wouldn't tempt me. Mind you, if it were the only new Southern loco in a sea of LNER/ER, I might yet be persuaded.... 

 

The can motors came in with the all-new non-rebuilts about twenty years ago; the first were Blackmoor Vale, Wilton, Tangmere and 91 Squadron IIRC. Look out for four-digit catalogue numbers, anything with only three is derived from the old Tri-ang one.

 

John

Thanks for those details. It sounds as though I might as well shell out the huge sum on eBay and live with it but I will hold off a few days until the Hornby 2022 announcement. I can always strip a paint job and redo as I have in the past—Larry

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A 1945 as built version (original cab) would be the only reason for me to acquire a new light pacific. Hornby or anyone?

 

Would that Accurail would try and crash into the old Southern locomotive market.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 05/01/2022 at 19:33, autocoach said:

A 1945 as built version (original cab) would be the only reason for me to acquire a new light pacific. Hornby or anyone?

 

 

I thought Hornby had already done the original cab version ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Combe Martin said:

 

I thought Hornby had already done the original cab version ? 

Only on the Merchant Navy, they originally intended to do it on the Light Pacific when first introduced, but in the event, it wasn't catered for in the tooling.

 

An opportunity for a "retool plus" for the model's twenty-first birthday?

 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hornby announced today,

“Bolstering its 2022 new tooling steam locomotive announcements, its existing tooling will be put to good use, reappearing in new guises thanks to additional liveries.

Its LMS 0-6-0 4F will appear as No. 43924 (R30221) with an RRP of £139.99, its LB&SCR 0-6-0 ‘Terrier’ will be released in all-over departmental black as D.S.680 (R30122) with an RRP of £120.99, and its BR M7 0-4-4T is to appear in Malachite with British Railways in Gill Sans yellow lettering as 30244 (R30140). This locomotive and 30038 were painted in the livery soon after Nationalisation, hence gaining a distinct appearance. The model will carry an RRP of £193.99.

Joining these locomotives and remaining in the Southern Region is SR ‘Merchant Navy’ 4-6-2 21C1 Channel Packet, re-introduced in Southern Malachite green with yellow stripes (R3434) with an RRP of £223.99, plus Battle of Britain Class 4-6-2 34072 257 Squadron (R30129) and West Country Class 4-6-2 34046 Braunton (R30114), each with an RRP of £266.49.”

Here 

Looking forward to seeing Braunton.

Shame no new smoke gen. As on the other noted models.

Off the top of my head I don’t think either 257 or Braunton visited the North Cornwall Line so I may be keeping my wallet in my pocket!

cheers

Ade

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

 

Looking forward to seeing Braunton.

Shame no new smoke gen. As on the other noted models.

Off the top of my head I don’t think either 257 or Braunton visited the North Cornwall Line so I may be keeping my wallet in my pocket!

cheers

Ade

Depends on when you model the North Cornwall.

 

Braunton was allocated to Exmouth Junction from new to May 1951 but in the livery portrayed for just the last nine months of that. It could well have got down west in that time, but it's a fairly small window.

 

257 Squadron was at 72A from 1958-64  so probably got to Padstow, but not wearing Malachite green!

 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Depends on when you model the North Cornwall.

 

Braunton was allocated to Exmouth Junction from new to May 1951 but in the livery portrayed for just the last nine months of that. It could well have got down west in that time, but it's a fairly small window.

 

257 Squadron was at 72A from 1958-64  so probably got to Padstow, but not wearing Malachite green!

 

John

1958 to 1964 would cover it.

Indeed you are correct PACE Portrait of the Atlantic Coast Express - Stephen Austin 
34072 at Wadebridge. 1 Jul 1961 PACE p8

as per Linky shame there’s not a name column there to aid folk like me, I have to cross reference it.

But given what Chris says about the age of the things design I’ll stick with gambling on the auction site!

Cheers for the info.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

£266.49?! For a 21 year old tooling of a Bulleid...

 

Except the physical tooling is likely to now be less than 21 years old due to factory changes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Jim104 said:

Isn't the cab side lining for a cut down tender, this one is high sided?

 

Well spotted!

 

I lost interest when I saw it was Braunton and hadn't magnified the image enough to notice that.

 

The lining isn't the right shape either, it should be further in from the edges of the cab side-panel, with more-rounded corners. On closer inspection, the numbers look a bit on the big side, too.

 

All that said, it's a cut-and-paste image taken based on a previous cut-and-paste image and unlikely to precisely reflect what the model will look like.

 

John

  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...