Modelling Spam Cans (Bulleid Pacifics)

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

34009 Lyme Regis is the latest in the fleet although I have had the donor for some time. This is fitted with Fox Transfers plates aswell as their cab sidenumbers for this loco.

It still requires weathering then a couple of coats of Dullcote.

post-1557-0-89957600-1406451065_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Just to prove I don't just do Malachite green models I did rename,renumber and weather a Rebuilt light pacific to 34013 Okehampton. I also modified the drawbar to reduce the gap between loco and tender which makes a big difference to the look in my opinion.

post-243-0-02100700-1406452275.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Graham

The sound fitted ones do appear to by slightly closer as they are semi permanently coupled with screws.

However I do want to close couple all the rest.

What modifications did you do to get them closer?

ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

That's interesting and good to hear that Hornby have changed the drawbar arrangement.

I removed the drawbar (you will need to unsolder the pick up wires) and drilled a new hole for the loco mounting screw leaving as little metal between the new hole and the original hole as I dared and then trimmed back the length to the new hole. To ensure that she could navigate medium radius curves I removed just a small amount of metal on the loco chassis block to allow the drawbar to swing slightly more than originally. The drawbar was then refitted and the pick up wires soldered back on. Probably just as quick to do than explain!

• RMweb Gold

I have a few Bullied of my own. A quick question then.

I have 34003 Plymouth and find the running a bit in different. Running is very uneven, almost as if something is binding but I can't see why.

Anyone else had this?

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes the valve gear gets squashed in a bit. The other issue might be a split gear. My Sir Keith Park ran very badly till I found it had a split idler gear just under the motor worm gear and got a replacement from Peters Spares.

I have a few Bullied of my own. A quick question then.

I have 34003 Plymouth and find the running a bit in different. Running is very uneven, almost as if something is binding but I can't see why.

Anyone else had this?

Rob

Sometimes the valve gear gets squashed in a bit. The other issue might be a split gear. My Sir Keith Park ran very badly till I found it had a split idler gear just under the motor worm gear and got a replacement from Peters Spares.

Hi Rob and all,

I had the same problem with my model of Plymouth.

Very frustrating to say the least, I must have stripped down the loco and valve gear/motion 2 or 3 times before someone told me about the idler gear. Once I knew what to look for I could see that it was indeed a split idler gear.

At low speed it wasnt noticeable but as you increased speed the running got worse due to the split in the gear opening up under load.

Others with more knowledge may be able to comment but I understand this was a common problem/qc issue with this particular model.

I also ordered a new one from Peters Spares (just a satisfied customer) and have had no problem since.

Good luck,

Regards Glenn

A few more Bullied light pacifics photographed today on Appledore

34 107 BLANDFORD FORUM

attachicon.gifIMG_7057.JPG

34 007 WADEBRIDGE

This is fitted with sound.

attachicon.gifIMG_7060.JPG

34069 HAWKINGE

One of only four to keep the high sided raves to the end.

attachicon.gifIMG_7061.JPG

Hi

A bit late to this thread, but, what were the other 3 locos to keep the high raves please?

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob and all,

I had the same problem with my model of Plymouth.

Very frustrating to say the least, I must have stripped down the loco and valve gear/motion 2 or 3 times before someone told me about the idler gear. Once I knew what to look for I could see that it was indeed a split idler gear.

At low speed it wasnt noticeable but as you increased speed the running got worse due to the split in the gear opening up under load.

Others with more knowledge may be able to comment but I understand this was a common problem/qc issue with this particular model.

I also ordered a new one from Peters Spares (just a satisfied customer) and have had no problem since.

Good luck,

Regards Glenn

I went to use my Plymouth today but it had a split gear. it now has a replacement in it. Must get some more.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi

A bit late to this thread, but, what were the other 3 locos to keep the high raves please?

Ian

I thought there were five?:

34069 Hawkinge (4500 gal raved tender)

34072 257 Squadron (4500 gal raved tender)

34074 46 Squadron (4500 gal raved tender)

34075 264 Squadron (4500 gal raved tender)

34078 222 Squadron (5500 gal raved tender)

• RMweb Gold

For some reason I thought that there were just four but stand to be corrected.

Yesterday's batch of bullieds that I took to Tinkers Park proved to be a bit of a let down.

Only Wincanton and Swanage ran fine.

222 Squadron would not run at all but the decoder may have been set to only run on DCC being a sound fitted one.

Chard ran fine at speed but violently jerked at low speed so might have a split gear.

Plymouth definitely had a split gear. That was changed last night and some more have just been ordered from Peters Spares.

Will have to find some time to go through the remaining light Pacific's to check them.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

Of my thirteen Bulleid light pacifcs (nine rebuilds) have had issues with three of them (34003 Plymouth, 34045 Ottery St Mary, and 34053 Sir Keith Park). Burst valve gear on one and split gears on the other two. Sent to Hornby for repairs (eyesight going downhill) and though I paid the outgoing postage the locos were repaired and returned foc.. So a big thumbs up to Hornby for that. It is a model that does it for me given that I saw so many around Bournemouth in my yoof.

• Like 3

Although I don't have any Spam Cans yet, I am looking at doing Tangmere in the near future, in preserved condition.

Which begs the question, has anyone else? As I know Tangmere is an oddity, being the only Southern built locomotive with a wide cab, and has a second series MN tender (#3130) with modifications plus the air pump and a few other things, so I'd be interested to see if anyone has had a crack at this.

I am also looking at doing Clan Line, again with preservation modifications (or 1970s condition. Not quite sure yet!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Although I don't have any Spam Cans yet, I am looking at doing Tangmere in the near future, in preserved condition.

Which begs the question, has anyone else? As I know Tangmere is an oddity, being the only Southern built locomotive with a wide cab, and has a second series MN tender (#3130) with modifications plus the air pump and a few other things, so I'd be interested to see if anyone has had a crack at this.

I am also looking at doing Clan Line, again with preservation modifications (or 1970s condition. Not quite sure yet!)

Has Tangmere's cab been widened in preservation? It was originally built with a narrow one.

Hi Ian

Just to prove I don't just do Malachite green models I did rename,renumber and weather a Rebuilt light pacific to 34013 Okehampton. I also modified the drawbar to reduce the gap between loco and tender which makes a big difference to the look in my opinion.

attachicon.gif34013_1.jpg

Graham,

Fox nameplates/plaques/scrolls and HMRS cabside transfers, if I'm not mistaken? Nice work under the running plate too, just enough weathering to capture the in-service look of the real thing about a month or two out of the shops.

The shortened drawbar works well too, but lack of air-smoothed casing and various other 'standard' fittings ruins these machines for me ... original is best!

Glenn

• RMweb Gold

Has Tangmere's cab been widened in preservation? It was originally built with a narrow one.

Hi Chris

I must admit it was nothing I had spotted before, but she was definitely withdrawn with a narrow cab so it must have been widened in preservation as has already been said above. 

Graham,

Fox nameplates/plaques/scrolls and HMRS cabside transfers, if I'm not mistaken? Nice work under the running plate too, just enough weathering to capture the in-service look of the real thing about a month or two out of the shops.

The shortened drawbar works well too, but lack of air-smoothed casing and various other 'standard' fittings ruins these machines for me ... original is best!

Glenn

Hi Glenn

You are correct on all counts.....thanks also for your kind comments.

• RMweb Gold

Ian

34067 has only been paired with the ex MN tender in preservation.

She was paired with 4500 gallon tender no 3318 when first introduced, then 4500 gal tender no 3297 on 05/09/86 which was cut down 10/05/58 I do not have the date but believe gained 4500 gal tender no 3267 that was cut down in 4/61 and withdrawn with Tangmere in 11/63.

I hope that helps.