Modelling Spam Cans (Bulleid Pacifics)

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Forester, thanks very much , all questions answered - brilliant !

I need the Town Crest and the red nameplates !!

Thank you.

The recent Hornby model of Bude has both but also features the cut-down tender and revised lining-out she acquired in August 1961.

John

The recent Hornby model of Bude has both but also features the cut-down tender and revised lining-out she acquired in August 1961.

John

Thanks for that John, I  unfortunately still prefer a kit built loco,  although I fully agree the quality of RTR has improved greatly.

So it  will probably be a  PDK or Westward kit  that will eventually hopefully turn into an acceptable model of Bude !

Cheers,  Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks, has anyone any knowledge of between what dates 34061 '73 Squadron' carried red nameplates please? Many thanks in advance. Lee

Not sure when they first went red, though there were works visits in late 1958 and early 1960 which offer possible dates.

She still had them when she went into Eastleigh for accident repairs and General overhaul (including tender surgery) in September 1962.

I think I have a book with a later colour pic and will post again if I find it.

EDIT The photo caption says June 1963 but the picture shows the loco still with accident damage and high-sided tender so it's wrong (should probably read June 1962)

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Anyone know if it is possible to purchase the 'Extended Smoke Deflectors'  that Bude and others ran with,

any small manufacturer produce these  in 4mm ??

Cheers Ian

IIRC Jackson Evans used to do them in etched brass. Their nameplate range passed to someone else (can't remember who) but I don't know if the other things went with them. ( EDIT: It was Modelmaster Decals but they only appear to have taken the nameplate range). 

Given that they seem to produce a kit for almost any Bulleid you could possibly want, it might be worth trying PDK Models.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Hi, 

Just thought this maybe of interest to some, I personally think it is absolutely gorgeous, but then I am biased ......attachicon.gifIans_Merchant_0011.jpg

Very nice, but at first glance I thought the nameplates said "SPAM SHOVELL"..... just a joke before Bulleid's devotees descend upon one of their own!

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

My latest Bulleid, is 34011 'Tavistock'. Its just had another run in after weathering to make sure that the pick ups are all working.

post-1557-0-16504600-1494767273_thumb.jpg

Next on the work bench is rebuilt '603 Squadron'

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

This is a Merchant Navy I made up a long, long time ago, using two Airfix/Dapol BoB bodies to create a longer and slightly wider MN body (although the cabs are still really the narrow type). It was/is mounted on a cheap second-hand Wrenn chassis that someone had modified earlier without the Walschaerts bits of the valve gear (ideal for my purposes). The smoke deflectors were the Airfix kit ones extended and deepened with plastic card.

I painted it in an approximation of BR's express blue with LNER white/black/white lining.

The tender is the Hornby Dublo/Wrenn one with some brass sheet panel beaten into approximately the right shape.

It was certainly not an accurate model but I think I captured the look reasonably well at the time.

Etched plates for 35015, Rotterdam Lloyd completed the illusion.

I still have this model but it is a display shelf only model nowadays.

Merchant%20Navy%2035015%20Blue%20-%202_z

Merchant%20Navy%2035015%20Blue%20-%201_z

Edited by SRman
  • Like 4

Two questions about WC/BoB Spam Cans:

Is there an easy way to re-model to the original full cab design for 1945-47 locomotives?  I have a cut-off date for my UK Railway modeling of Midnight December 31, 1947.

Is there a ready to run replacement  for the Hornby chassis or drive so I can eliminate the constant binding and bending of the side rods and main rod? I now have two "on shed" inoperable.

Edited by autocoach

• 2 weeks later...

More on Bude:

Nameplates Red from 11/45 until repainted BR green in 7/50.

Then black until late 1950s (date uncertain, pure guess around '59)

Red certainly by 1960 until withdrawal 3/67.

Hi,

Firstly thanks for all the excellent info.

Would appreciate same detail of info for  34011 - Tavistock   and 34019  Bideford,   including dates when they started to run with cut down tenders ?

Many thanks, Ian

Sorry for the late reply. I use a method suggested elsewhere but cannot remember by whom.

I believe that I can lay claim to this dodge - pinned joints are always best wherever possible.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Two questions about WC/BoB Spam Cans:

Is there an easy way to re-model to the original full cab design for 1945-47 locomotives?  I have a cut-off date for my UK Railway modeling of Midnight December 31, 1947.

Is there a ready to run replacement  for the Hornby chassis or drive so I can eliminate the constant binding and bending of the side rods and main rod? I now have two "on shed" inoperable.

'Original' cabside castings are available from the Southern Railways Group : sales@srg.org.uk .....

......... but does anyone know how the windows were arranged on the first two modified-cab locos : apparently two parts but were they equally divided or 'little and large' so to speak ?

'Original' cabside castings are available from the Southern Railways Group : sales@srg.org.uk .....

......... but does anyone know how the windows were arranged on the first two modified-cab locos : apparently two parts but were they equally divided or 'little and large' so to speak ?

Thanks for the reply. Have you used the Southern Railways Group casting?  I would like to see a sample installation if possible. Is it available to non-members as I am a bit offshore?

As for my second question (not yours), I guess I may have to try the Comet replacement chassis. 

Thanks for the reply. Have you used the Southern Railways Group casting?  I would like to see a sample installation if possible. Is it available to non-members as I am a bit offshore?

As for my second question (not yours), I guess I may have to try the Comet replacement chassis. 

The cab conversion IS available to non-members ...... but members get a 10% discount !

I've not encounterd any rod binding & bending on my locos ........ is this a topic you've aired earlier in the thread ( I've not read the whole thing ! ) or elsewhere ?

• RMweb Gold

See here for my conversation using the casting  (as well as my own scratch built version) https://grahammuz.com/2012/04/28/talking-stock-7-bulleid-light-pacific-original-style-cabs/

See here for my conversation using the casting  (as well as my own scratch built version) https://grahammuz.com/2012/04/28/talking-stock-7-bulleid-light-pacific-original-style-cabs/

Thanks Graham.

I missed the Southern Group conversion cab in my earlier readings of your blog post.  I would have preferred a ready made heavier brass etching for the cabs. But to my knowledge that is currently unavailable. 

I have had the Hornby side rods hang up on both of my WC Pacifics and in one case cause one of the plastic drivers to go out of quarter. I acquired both in 2011 and one was a used eBay acquisition.

The Pacifics are not a main priority in my Padstow roster where O2's, BWT's, Class N's and T9's are used most often when I replicate the 1947 summer weekday operational schedule for Padstow. And it has been a couple of years since I have done even that. 

Edited by autocoach

I've not encounterd any rod binding & bending on my locos ........ is this a topic you've aired earlier in the thread ( I've not read the whole thing ! ) or elsewhere ?

I have mentioned the rod problems briefly earlier in this BOB/WC topic. But also on my End of the line Padstow topic and I think somewhere in the Hornby topics a while ago.  As I have said above, the WC Pacifics are not an operational priority for me in Padstow operating sessions. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello again, thanks for all the help in the past.....

I have a couple of questions regarding 34107  Blandford Forum  ......

Firstly am I right in assuming that this was the only West Country that was not rebuilt and had a 9ft , 5500 gallon cutdown tender ?   Or were there others ? 

Also does anybody know the dates that the Nameplates were changed from Black to Red etc ...

I am hoping to create Blandford Forum in her final days, so need all the help I can get !

Many thanks.

Photo of rebuilt Merchant Navy 35030 attached .....

post-6510-0-61536300-1547384419.jpg