Bowser PCC StreetCars

tetsudofan

• RMweb Gold

Last Friday morning a package containing 4 Bowser PCC streetcars arrived courtesy of Model Junction. Took some pictures on Friday afternoon and then tried to post here....but no luck then. Great that the forum is back today. Many thanks Andy.

Had ordered 5 models from Model Junction but only four arrived - those from Minneapolis, Cleveland, SEPTA and Detroit. The Toronto version is still awaited:

post-586-0-40770000-1335195469.jpg

....and for a close-up version here's a pic of the Minneapolis version:

post-586-0-43556200-1335195493.jpg

Dcc and sound-fitted versions with Tsunami sound decoders were ordered.

Apart from the normal-type sound - motor, gong, interior lights and door opening/closing functions there are two automatic stop-start sequences. Press Function 7 and your hear the Passenger Stop Request signal after which the brake lights illuminate as the car decelerates and stops followed by the door opening sound. Press Function 7 again and the brake lights go out, the sound of the doors closing is heard followed by the sound of the mandatory two gongs after which the car begins acceleration to the original speed. Magic. Function 9 operates in the same way but has no sounds at all connected with it.

The dcc/sound-fitted versions are somewhat expensive but when I popped into the London Transport Museum on Saturday found that they had some of the analogue (non dcc/sound) Con-Cor PCCs on sale at £30.00 more than I paid for each of the Bowser dcc/sound versions.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

How were the real things turned at the end of the line?

They are, unlike normal UK trams single-ended so did they use turntables, loops or triangles, or maybe all three ways?

A turntable on a street line could be interesting!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

All the lines I've seen used loops. Most of Totonto's loops were small, off-street affairs,  but some ran around 4 streets. Some places used loops in car houses or yards.

Most PCCs were single-ended. The Double-ended ones I can think of were Pacific Electric (Los Angeles) and Dallas (sold to Boston). San Francisco mounted a pole on the front for backing up.

I note that there are 3 different roof styles modelled.  I don't like the trolley poles that much -- they seem to be mounted too high.  Bowser used to have a lovely one on their old (ex-Pennsylvnia Scale Models) cast metal kits that I bought in the 60s.

• RMweb Gold

HSB,

The poles don't work electrically, at least, not in the dcc version - nothing is mentioned in the instructions. The pole comes in it's own little plastic bag (now thrown away!!). I think the pole is quite neatly modelled:

post-586-0-48649400-1335627536.jpg

The base of the pole is dropped into the hole in the roof and secured in the down position:

post-586-0-09649800-1335627556.jpg

The springs on the base of the pole are quite strong and will, I think, need some taught overhead wiring to keep them in place:

post-586-0-35773600-1335627583.jpg

Forgot to mention in my first post that the SEPTA version also has an "Advance Light" on the front end of the roof as well as an orange flashing "Emergency Beacon" just behind. The light and beacon are separately controlled by Function 3 anr Function 4 respectively:

post-586-0-12518000-1335627620.jpg

Keith

• 1 year later...

Had another visit to Model Junction yesterday where my friends Stewart and Farah showed me a Bowser PCC car in orange Boston Elevated Railway livery complte with Tsunami sound truly superb -so I just had to purchase it.

Once I have finished the extension to Croxley WRD, I will start my small American Trolley/LRV layout provisonally called Ocean Beach which I intend to exhibit!

Nigel

Most PCCs were single-ended. The Double-ended ones I can think of were Pacific Electric (Los Angeles) and Dallas (sold to Boston). San Francisco mounted a pole on the front for backing up.

Double-ended PCCs were owned by PE, Dallas Railway & Terminal Co., Illinois Terminal RR, Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Co, and the Municipal Railway in San Francisco. Muni had two groups of double-enders, the pre-WW2 "Magic Carpet" cars, and the postwar "Torpedoes", both built by St Louis.

I'm rather biased towards double-ended PCCs, as I get to run one now and again. (That's me on the left.)

6896487707_da1f380fed_b.jpg

All the best,

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

The Historic E & F lines in SF both single and double ended PCC cars in operation on a daily basis. I will be doing my pilgramage to SF in the near future. Any requests for photos of specific cars are most welcome.

Nigel

The Pacific Electric liveried car please, I missed it when we were there.

Looking forward to seeing your layout progress.

Had another visit to Model Junction yesterday where my friends Stewart and Farah showed me a Bowser PCC car in orange Boston Elevated Railway livery complte with Tsunami sound truly superb -so I just had to purchase it.

Model Junction did have the Con-Cor "Diesel" versions at half price, but I've just checked their website and they're back at £115.

• 1 month later...

For those interested following dull steamers post on Double ended PCC cars here is a summary of some of the models done of these cars.

Brass HO scale models have been made of the Pacific Electric cars by Suydam. I have also seen brass examples of the Muni type D torpedo cars like 1014 in dull steamers photo. (I happen to be the Motorman standing in front of 1014 in the picture!) Brass Illinois Terminal cars have also been done in the past.

Resin body kits are available for the PE cars from F & C and Imperial Hobby Productions have done kits for the SF type D cars and the Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Co Red Arrow cars.

If anyone is interested I can post some pics of both brass and resin Pacific Electric cars as I have both of these in my collection

I have prints of 1061 etc around SF (along with several hundred of mainline trains/freight etc in America and Canada), Id be willing to send them (they are printed 6x8 or 7x5s) to anyone who wants them for the price of the postage, as I'm helping someone clear their house and as they still have the negatives they don't want the prints anymore. my email is tc.83a@blueyonder.co.uk 

Antony

• 2 years later...

HSB,

The poles don't work electrically, at least, not in the dcc version - nothing is mentioned in the instructions. The pole comes in it's own little plastic bag (now thrown away!!). I think the pole is quite neatly modelled:

attachicon.gifBowserPCC-03.jpg

The base of the pole is dropped into the hole in the roof and secured in the down position:

attachicon.gifBowserPCC-04.jpg

The springs on the base of the pole are quite strong and will, I think, need some taught overhead wiring to keep them in place:

attachicon.gifBowserPCC-05.jpg

Forgot to mention in my first post that the SEPTA version also has an "Advance Light" on the front end of the roof as well as an orange flashing "Emergency Beacon" just behind. The light and beacon are separately controlled by Function 3 anr Function 4 respectively:

attachicon.gifBowserPCC-06.jpg

Keith

Hey,

Where can I get such poles as a spare accessory? I'm in dire need of quite a few of them actually. 8-10 to be precise...

Archived