London Underground battery-electric locomotives

Tommy

How much work does the basic battery loco need to make it into a 1965 built machine?

Not a tremendous amount - as Phil's kit does have 13 louvre panels. However, on one side, the middle five will need to be blanked out/plated over. Additionally, the locos now have drop down buckeye couplers, wedgelock auto couplers and 1985-pattern rectangular telescopic buffers rather than the older fold-back type. Each cab front also needs a pair of WIPAC light cluster boxes. The CP30M compressor in its angle-iron frame also needs to be replaced by two [one on each side] 3HC43-like compressors. Without counting, there may well be a variation in the size/number of underframe grids as well - Phils has 8, more modern ones have 5.

So IMHO, easily do-able.

• 2 weeks later...

4. A 4mm model [with accurate underframe detail] of the 1985 batch of battery locos [prototypes now all scrapped].

They finally got around to scrapping them? I know there were some in the undergrowth behind West Ruislip depot even after some reports of the scrapping had been made.

• 3 years later...

Regarding the 3HC43 compressor, Phil Radley does have 4 and 7mm versions of this available as a 3D pattern. Probably best to give him a ring as it doesn't appear on the website. The 7mm versions were produced for the 7mm version of the 1985 battery loco which is temporarily in the long grass whilst the 7mm R49 DM and NDM are slowly being shunted out of the weeds onto the mainline.

Hi All,

I would like to know if anyone has any scale drawings of a typical LUL Battery Car? I would like to build a pair in 3mm scale(TT) for a new layout I am planning to build. I have seen quite a few pictures on the net but little dimensional detail.

Hope someone can help

Tommy

Tommy,

as requested, please find attached copy of drawing for 1969 Battery loco; sorry about the quality.

Gazzaday1969 Battery Loco.pdf

Archived