Matt varnish on card buildings

Nickt

Is it really the case that cheap hair spray works just as effectively on cardboard models to prevent fading as expensive matt artists' varnish? What is the experience of other builders on here?

Look forward to hearing and learning.

• 4 weeks later...

At ExpoEM yesterday the loco painter was recommending Ronseal matt or satin polyurethane (DIY stuff) on locos and stock. Anyone got anything for that about card for buildings? Am going to try (lots cheaper than artists matt) but wondering about anyone else's experience.

Guest Moria

Greetings. Not sure really, I use cheap hairspray as glue in scenic work so my first thought would be no so as not to attract dust which would get stuck to the model :)

I know that I print the models using a laser printer, then spray those sheets with a photographic UV fixative and then when the model is complete, give it a dusting with Testors Dullcote just to finish off and seal in any weathering powders used. Using these methods, I have had some cardboard bits and pieces around for 6 or 7 years now with no noticable colour shading, although I also have the layout in a basement where it gets mostly artificial light, so I may be well over the top anyway.

Regards

Graham

Hullo Nickt,

If you put the words- sealing fixative artists spray card -into a Google RMWeb site search you'll be surprised how many different threads there are on this subject,

Good luck,

Doug

Archived