Hornby 42xx& 72xx - first glimpses

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Hattons have e-mailed me today, to let me know my order has been processed. As they were not due to take payment until the stock was in, I'm assuming that I will have a shirt-button model sometime soon.

Dust off those wagons!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

If the Hornby web site is anything to go by, all DCC-ready versions except the BR 5205 are available.

Nick

Sorry I meant at any retailers like todays 42xx  at Kernow/Hattons etc.

It looks like I've been stitched up again by Hattons, you chaps are getting notifications, I haven't heard a thing. My order has been split twice in the last week. As I mentioned earlier I have already lost the Autocoach.  I preordered on the 3/1/12 and it looks like some of you chaps have ordered later. Starting to get annoyed!!!

Didcot

It looks like I've been stitched up again by Hattons, you chaps are getting notifications, I haven't heard a thing. My order has been split twice in the last week. As I mentioned earlier I have already lost the Autocoach.  I preordered on the 3/1/12 and it looks like some of you chaps have ordered later. Starting to get annoyed!!!

Didcot

I ordered a 42xx, 52xx and 72xx all dcc ready GWR at Hattons in March 2012 expecting my order to be fulfilled by Christmas. I too saw the 42xx appear then disappear from their new stock page. I used the Chat feature to find out why my pre order has been overlooked. They confirmed my order is still there on their system but they only had a small delivery which has now all gone and they have no dates when they will be getting their next deliveries. I too feel short changed, not sure by whom but i am glad i enjoy building kits as i might consider giving future Hornby releases a wide berth.

Ken

I just heard from my "preferred supplier" (Hattons), one of the 3 big tanks I ordered has been dispatched, so at least something 2-4-n like is on its way...

I am looking forward to receiving it, but it really has been a sorry saga for Hornby. And the limited stocks means that if I were to get my single example, find it to be the veritable dog's danglies and want to buy a couple more, well I'd really be S.O.L...

Certainly not one of Hornby' finest examples of supply chain management, I would hazard...

• RMweb Gold

All  a bit of a  lottery yet again it would appear and presumably Mr K will explain to us that they are only arriving from China a few at a time (which does seem odd after all the problems and delays.  I have a 42XX, 5205, and 72Xx on order with one retailer - all orders placed in January 2012 - and he hasn't got a clue when I'll get them in view of the limited number he knows are enroute to him so far.  I also have a couple of 2-8-0Ts on order with another retailer and one of those was being packed today, they have not yet got the other one.

It really does seem odd that at a time when Hornby need the revenue (I presume they do - they might not of course?) and when retailer orders were placed over a year ago the locos are only appearing in apparently small numbers at a time.  Does it also mean that Hornby's distribution at this end simply isn't up to the job or are we again going to be told that 'as only small numbers were available we decided the fairest thing to do was put them on our website'?

Not very encouraging for end purchasers who have been, in the majority of cases, prepared to tolerate delays and even less fair on retailers who placed orders on our behalf in plenty of time for production quantities to be established.  I can of course wait for my toy trains but having ordered them what seems a long time ago I really would like to know that they're on my retailers' shelves waiting collection or in the post to me rather than potentially being given some sort of hard luck story - just not good enough I'm afraid.

• RMweb Premium

All  a bit of a  lottery yet again it would appear and presumably Mr K will explain to us that they are only arriving from China a few at a time...............

............ and even less fair on retailers who placed orders on our behalf in plenty of time for production quantities to be established.  I can of course wait for my toy trains but having ordered them what seems a long time ago I really would like to know that they're on my retailers' shelves waiting collection or in the post to me rather than potentially being given some sort of hard luck story - just not good enough I'm afraid.

I agree and have also had enough of the whole sorry saga. I had been emailing Simon Kohler, who was always very charming with his replies, but clearly someone is not able to deliver. We will probably never find out who.

I will wait for the next readily available batch and maybe buy ONE.

In the meantime, I might start kit building - will a Metro tank be easy as a first loco?

I had been emailing Simon Kohler, who was always very charming with his replies, but clearly someone is not able to deliver.

It's not marketing's job to deliver product. If there is any 'comfort' to be taken, we do know that Hornby will be restructuring their executive and senior management team.

I remain hopeful that, with changes, they will return to being a company focused on delivering quality model railway products and turn around what have been very difficult times for their model railway operation.

• RMweb Premium

In the meantime, I might start kit building - will a Metro tank be easy as a first loco?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Western-Precision-Castings-Cotswold-GWR-BR-42-72XX-kit-with-chassis-kit-/181113005230?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a2b2d24ae

I've noticed that kits for the 42/72xx range are going cheaper on that auction site since the Hornby

ones were announced .

What used to get well in excess of the £100 pound mark now go for well under . One advantage of

building from a kit is that you can get it 100% accurate if that is one of your requirements . And a whitemetal

one has plenty of weight to it .

I think the Cotswold one makes a better model than the K's .

Although I do plan to purchase a Hornby 72xx (when I can eventually try one out in my local model shop first - hate buying on line for this reason alone), I also have an untouched Cotswold body only kit on the shelf. I am working on the thought that within a year or so Comet may develop a replacement chassis that I can modify for the Cotswold.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

I am working on the thought that within a year or so Comet may develop a replacement chassis that I can modify for the Cotswold.

That would certainly be nice , my kit built 72xx ( not done by me but bought of a friend ) would benifit

from a new chassis as the solid one is showing signs of to much bearing play .

The K's 42xx I did build now has a set of frames the same as can be seen in the auction photo , the only

thing K's about it now is the body though .

I'm keen to see how Hornby have built their chassis to get it round tighter curves , both my kit jobs just manage

30'' radius .

If anyones interested, I had a GWR 52XX on pre-order at Modellers Mecca, which I had a phone call today to say was in stock

I can't take it now, so if anyone wants to give Lucy a ring....it might still be available

• RMweb Premium

All  a bit of a  lottery yet again it would appear and presumably Mr K will explain to us that they are only arriving from China a few at a time (which does seem odd after all the problems and delays.  I have a 42XX, 5205, and 72Xx on order with one retailer -

Same here. Delivery dates still weeks/months away.

Why bother if this is the best Hornby can do to satisfy their customers (and there definitely are customers out there) What a shambles.

Retailers must be cursing Hornby knowing they can sell product but Hornby seemingly cannot supply it.

Keith

At least you get the chance to open yours - mine is in the post to the office and I'm not in there until Wednesday next week!!

Enjoy!

Just got into the office and sure enough, my 7229 is here!!

I ordered mine from Peter's Spares on the 21st March, at which time he had 2x of them left unallocated. It shipped on Thursday 28th and arrived yesterday.

I guess I just got lucky with where I placed my order and my timing!

• RMweb Gold

I think the Cotswold one makes a better model than the K's

I've had a PDK kit for a 2-8-0T in the 'pile' for a couple of years, and I still intend to build it (P4). What with all the hoo-ha regarding the supply of these Hornby models, I've given up thinking about ordering a R-T-R one, but I would like a 2-8-2T, although I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever find an unallocated one in a local (ish) shop, where I can inspect it and test run it before parting with cash...

No - the buffers are not sprung and as commented elsewhere, the dart on the smokebox door is moulded.

If I get the chance later today, I'll take a few pics and post them.

• RMweb Premium

My red and yellow box containing a green 52xx variant arrived this morning , it looks good just sat in the box .

It will shortly be transferred to the layout for testing and a photo shoot , results will be publised here

when done ,

Watch this space .   :locomotive:

My model of BR Black 4266 arrived this morning from Kernow MRC, and the blurb re new arrivals enclosed with it lists only R3123 (42XX GWR 4283), R3124 (42XX BR Black 4266) and R3128 (72XX BR Black 7229) as being received into stock on March 30th.

Both BR Black models already showing as "more ordered from supplier" on the Kernow website, so I assume only "token" numbers of each were supplied by Hornby.

Bought BR black 72xx from Hereford Models this morning - very nice, if a little lighter than I was expecting. What's the story with the two small holes on the top of the boiler between the chimney and the safety valve cover? They look like locating holes for a handrail, but the real ones didn't seem to have a handrail there, and one photo looks like there really were holes in the boiler cladding. I know Hornby are having a difficult time, partly of their own making, but I do hope they keep going, as models like these are way beyond what I thought would ever appear in the RTR market.

Archived