Hornby 42xx& 72xx - first glimpses

Andy Y

Margate have just sent over the first images of the first engineering shots of the forthcoming 42xx and 72xx.

Click for full images.

42xx

42xx.jpg

42xx (2).jpg

42xx (3).jpg

42xx (4).jpg

42xx (5).jpg

42xx (6).jpg

42xx (9).jpg

42xx (7).jpg

72xx

72xx (5).jpg

72xx (6).jpg

72xx (7).jpg

72xx (8).jpg

72xx.jpg

72xx (2).jpg

42xx (8).jpg

Well, they certainly look the part on first glance but it's interesting to note that Hornby have modelled the little porthole windows on the cab front. I would be surprised if they were present on any 7200 tank and would guess they would have been plated over pretty early in the life of the 4200s.

Great models - lots to look forward too. I hardly like to mention my reservation, which is the way the safety valves are so much higher than the bonnet. That is not typical of the real thing, and this is an aspect of the model that I hope gets sorted before production.

• RMweb Gold

Andy you are a bad bad man. First you tempt us with the Thompsons, now this! I had been hoping to get away with not needing a 72xx then I discovered 3 were based at Oxford for the era I'm modelling Chilterns. Now you put these pictures up and my wallet is groaning again......

Now, that looks good. Well done Hornby...

Someone's been busy with their rivet-counter

I'm not going near it, though. Too much Brass and Copper to polish.

You don't get that on Southern electrics

I might be straying slightly off topic here but, looking at these examples and taking into account the already mentioned minor niggles in what otherwise looks to be a fine model, wouldn't it be nice if Hornby were to offer these additionally in 'undecorated' form in the same way that the large US manufacturers do with their RTR diesel locomotives. Much easier job to change safety valve bonnets, remove mould parting lines, plate over the little round cab windows, get rid of the moulded on smokebox numberplate and actually produce something a little bit different to the version(s) that everyone else has. Additionally, as has already been mentioned elsewhere, these locomotives had a formidable wheelbase and it'll be interesting to see how Hornby are able to make them compatible with train set curves without compromising fidelity too much.

Undecorated models is a very very limited market in this country plus there will be stock that will be slowly moving from shops to make the idea non commercially suitable since shop needs a high turnover to stay in business in boom times and bad. A shop would stock one or two undec models expand that across the country you looking at under 5% of the total batch run from the factory. In USA where the market scales work more favorably to undec models since there is a larger market and greater need for such items.

Undecorated models is a very very limited market in this country

Interesting. But has the water ever been tested? If they're as good as they look then I'd buy one (or two, or three).

I have no idea about such things, but what is the minimum order a retailer has to place to get a limited edition run ordered? I suspect the logistics of getting several dozen off the production line before they visit the paintshop shouldn't be beyond the abilities of a 21st century manufacturing facility.

Retailer would be looking at 512 and above that is a lot of slow moving stock to store. The taking models of the production line before the paint shop can be quite complex depending on the manufacture processes and how the factory is setup. For example on most production lines any faults are found are left until the product has left the line at the last station so it can be dealt with,

Archived