Hornby 42xx& 72xx - first glimpses

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Here it is folks

and they look really good; I've not done any detail checking but the running numbers look to be ok for the BR period at least and the 42XX has definitely got the correct rear buffer beam spacer arrangement, main thing I'm not sure about is the deflector on the top of the bunker which is really only checkable from pics but at least it's missing on the GWR liveried version. So overall it looks as if Hornby have brushed up on the detail which is excellent ... Dear Santa...

Yes, at a quick look it does appear that they have been doing their homework. Front upper lamp irons in the right place, even if the photos demonstrate their fragility on the GWR 42XX, and the correct tall (if a little wonky) safety valve bonnet. They still have the exaggerated exposure of the safety valve nuts on the BR 5205, as on the 28XX, though it doesn't appear on the BR 42XX. There again, many tall bonnets lasted into BR days on both types, so there's room for even more variety. The cab side shutters will limit backdating before the shirtbutton livery, though, as they were fitted between 1931-6.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Did they have them, Mike? I don't recall seeing any photos with them fitted on these or 72XX, and the RCTS is silent on this.

Nick

I definitely haven't found any evidence of them in pics of 72XX.

At least one 42XX in preservation has got one but 'the usual caveat' re preserved locos applies of course and in a quick search I can't find any evidence of one on a 2-8-0T in traffic in BR days. I have found a pic of 4266 in BR days - no shield, and 4283 was outshopped, in shirtbutton livery of course, without one in 1937. I wonder if the small casing behind the whistles made it difficult to fit the normal pattern of shields so they were never fitted? Anyway a simple photo check - when I have time - will add further info but I think it will turn out to be a nil return judging on evidence so far.

BTW I see on the Hornby facebook page (as per above link) they are still giving 7229 as the running number for the (late) BR 72XX which means it will have an incorrect rivet pattern on the bunker so it is very definitely an etched plates job (with careful checking & dating of running number to avoid the ones that had the back ends renewed in the 1950s)

Looking good, might have to wait until the 72xx is done in early crest though.

Odd that they have not planned one in the initial batch. Perhaps they have not been able to find a photo of one in the that livery that matches their rivet pattern.

Still, easily fixed with a dab of T-cut and a transfer.

• RMweb Gold

Would like to see 52xx with raised foot plate under steam pipe but cant have it all, superb looking loco

It would be nice to see a further variant but as - apart from the slightly different re-cylindered engines - there were so few of them (only the final 10, the batch built in 1940, ever ran in traffic allthough they lasted into the 1960s) I can see the sense in Hornby choosing the largest group of engines (60) from the 5205 Class as apart from maximum commonality of tooling with the most of the 42XX series they cover a long period from 1924 into the 1960s albeit with detail differences over the years. The only problem we face with the large group is that when we are renumbering them we have to avoid choosing one which had the cylinders renewed together with acquiring the stepped footplate.

Interestingly of course the 5205 which has now emerged from Hornby differs from the original catalogue illustration which suggests (to me at any rate) that Hornby have been doing a bit of further research as they have gone along and that they might well have been reading a certain thread on RMweb. And the change has probably saved them a bit of development time as well in what was always going to be a very tight schedule. Anywa the result so far looks like too very nice

• RMweb Gold

No images yet of the progress made on the 72xx variant and whether the detail is right for the numbers portrayed.

Going by the EP pics (they show on the recent link posted by SACM) it is basically correct for 7202 in both early and BR condition (7202 doesn't have a bunker top fender now and presumably didn't have one when withdrawn?) which means it is wrong for the number they are still giving for the BR version (7229) as it was rebuilt from a straight footplate 2-8-0T. So as numbered in GW version it should be alright for you, as currently proposed to be numbered for the BR version I shall have no option but to buy a new set of numberplates.

• RMweb Premium

Agree with your comments Stationmaster, re-toling for 10 raised footplate locos would be difficult, and as I will probably wait for a 72xx it really is no problem

• RMweb Gold

Please excuse my ignorance, but does anyone know if any of the variants 'provided assistance' over the Devon banks out of Newton Abbot? Here's hoping so!

My understanding is that the duties of the 72xx's at NA were pulling the coal trains up from Kingswear.I hope I'm proved wrong.

The late David Jenkinson ran his 'funny trains' of LNWR and mid 1930s origin 'out of hours' so as not to conflict with his 1929-31 period, but at least they were all of LMS and constituents. While I can excuse a GCR 'Director' as working an Ian Allan special, a 'Dukedog', GWR 2-8-2T, and Beyer-Garratt will defintely be in the fully hour category. :sarcastic:

Archived