British Rail or Ex BR Loco's & Coaching Stock used on the Met Line?

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

Had London Transport bought the three Class 25's, they were planned to be overhauled and painted lined maroon livery, very similar to what the panniers were painted.  What they were planned to be renumbered, is not known.

Julian Sprott

Hows about this???

post-8704-0-55142700-1357080259.jpg

sorry about the rough lining, I did it on the quick! It's even got an adapter for shunting tube stock in Acton works. Maybe I'll have to dig out an old Hornby one and give this a go in 4mm scale!

• RMweb Gold

Cool, that is a great start and would have loved to have seen them for real but the lining would have a "straw" colour and probably kept the yellow ends.  The buckeye coupler are wrong as LT used Ward and Tightlock couplers on their stock and I really don't think LT would have bothered changing them.  The main use was to be on surface lines, so changing couplers was not really nessarcary.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Premium

Hows about this???

attachicon.gifLT 25.jpg

sorry about the rough lining, I did it on the quick! It's even got an adapter for shunting tube stock in Acton works. Maybe I'll have to dig out an old Hornby one and give this a go in 4mm scale!

Cool, that is a great start and would have loved to have seen them for real but the lining would have a "straw" colour and probably kept the yellow ends.  The buckeye coupler are wrong as LT used Ward and Tightlock couplers on their stock and I really don't think LT would have bothered changing them.  The main use was to be on surface lines, so changing couplers was not really nessarcary.

Julian Sprott

I would prefer red painted ends, but thanks for that L49. If it was one of the later 25's without the end doors there would have been more room for the 'London Transport' logo or even a nameplate on the sides.

Julian Sprott

The whole coupling and buffing gear was taken from a battery, with the more modern coupling adapter below. I can't remember when the buckeyes were introduced on engineering stock for LT, I think it must have been done during overhauls in the 80s. I would imagine if LT had purchased some 25s, they may have survived long enough to get buckeyes fitted, although they would have probably gone into yellow at the same time.

I know the tube height coupling is a bit silly, but they may have been required to work the long rail train, which I believe is now the only train which requires locos to be fitted with ward couplings at tube height. I know there were (at least until fairly recently) a pair of batteries specifically fitted for this job, with RCH at one end and ward only at the other.

I don't know how the tube height coupling adapter in the photo works, as I have never seen one in action. I think the last 'multi couple-able' (if that is a real word!) loco was probably L11, with it's fantastic array of multiple height ward couplings and a wedgelock at one end only for good measure!

Hows about this???

attachicon.gifLT 25.jpg

How about naming this loco as a sort of 21st century Sarah Siddons

"Katie Price" -maybe as it would be a big tube loco! :jester:

XF

How about naming this loco as a sort of 21st century Sarah Siddons

"Katie Price" -maybe as it would be a big tube loco! :jester:

XF

I was looking through K Benest's book on the Met Electrics the other day, and noticed that there were various names suggested and never used. You could always put one of them on. Charles Haddon Spurgeon gets my vote!

• 2 years later...

Archived