Gresley Buffet - 7mm Ian Kirk kit conversion

Vin

Hi Vin,

This is looking lovely...

I have built a lot of the Kirk kits recently, and there is just one major thing to look out for with the 8'0 and 8'6 bogies in the kits... The bogie sides are far too narrow... Thankfully I know someone who has designed and etched up some brass sprung bogie units that work perfectly with the Kirk plastic sides.. ;)

Let me know if you would like a set.

post-6848-0-59579700-1338240044.jpgpost-6848-0-70858200-1338240064.jpg

Kind Regards,

JB.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi JB,

Sorry about the delayed reply but work has got in the way of late. Those bogies look the business. I've got a spare set of Wayoh Gresley bogies which I'll put on this coach. This kit is a joy to built even with it's basic form. I just need a bit of time to get the underframe upto scratch before my next post.

Regards

Vin

Cheers TimC,

This kit is great and at fraction of the cost of a JLTRT kit. With a bit of work and a few tips from this website anybody can achieve these results.

Regards

Vin

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Vin

Just found this thread.

Looking superb! I've got one of the buffets to do myself, together with several other coaches. Looking at yours is tempting me to do one of the rebuilds (probably 9132 as I spent a lot of time on it in SRPS railtour service) as I already have a Sparmac in the original style.

Below are a few photos of the roof I took at Falkirk depot shortly after the SRPS acquired the coach, and in service at Kyle after a full repaint into 'scumbled' teak finish.
Sorry about the quality of the photos; I've misplaced the negatives and being 35 years old the prints have faded a bit.

Photos deleted due to Photobucket demanding money

Here's another photo, of the interior this time. It shows that the tables in 9132 were a beautiful salmon pink colour, obviously to match the garish walls. Would the tables in 9135 not be a similar colour?
As you can see we also hung up several reproduction LNER posters in an attempt to tone down the walls.

I don't remember 9132's counter end being that revolting yellow colour; I would think it was a more subdued grey, but as I said it was more than 30 years ago so it may just be my memory playing tricks. The passenger saloon was certainly pink as you've modelled yours. Unfortunately I can't go to Bo'ness to check as the coach has since been re-rebuilt back to the original varnished teak with rexine interior LNER condition.

Photo deleted due to Photobucket demanding money

Donald

Great pictures Donald! I never saw any of these in service but am very tempted to do one......

You missed out, E9131E was a regular in the mid seventies as part of a Sheffield area adex rake. Spent many comfortable hours in the 'loose' seats and very smooth riding. Much better than the clapped out mark ones in the same rake and closer to the 'maxpax' hot chocolate as well.

70's spotting trips at their very best.

Spent many comfortable hours in the 'loose' seats and very smooth riding. Much better than the clapped out mark ones in the same rake

I'd have to agree with that! I never saw or travelled on them in BR service but I travelled countless miles in 9132 on railtours from Falkirk to such diverse destinations as Mallaig, Kyle of Lochalsh, Keighley, York, and London Euston; and it was one of the most comfortable rides around. Even at the rear of an air-braked Mk1 set (vacuum brakes only on the buffet which were isolated) on the WCMLtravelling at 90mph. it rode very smoothly.

• RMweb Premium

You missed out, E9131E was a regular in the mid seventies as part of a Sheffield area adex rake. Spent many comfortable hours in the 'loose' seats and very smooth riding. Much better than the clapped out mark ones in the same rake and closer to the 'maxpax' hot chocolate as well.

70's spotting trips at their very best.

Yes, unfortunately didn't get the railway bug until 1979 (missed the Hydraulics too....). Never mind, we can't pick our time just make the best use of it.

I do fancy one of these Gresley buffets though. DId the last few all have these garish interiors or were there ones with more sober decor?

Although it was well travelled, unless I'm much mistaken I don't think 9132 went to London, Donald. I doubt we'd have got authority for it (not in an air braked set)....

Sorry Bob, it's my memory playing tricks again, and engaging mouth before putting brain into gear. It was a vacuum braked set with electric heating, which was why 9132 had to be marshalled at the end of the rake, causing grumbles from the staff who had to carry meal trays the entire length of the train.

It definitely went to London, though it was only on the one occasion. Somewhere in my slide collection I have a photo of it against the buffer stops at Euston. I have distinct memories of annoyance from the railtour organiser because it was hidden behind the platform access ramp and wasn't clearly visible to everybody in the station.

Donald

Sorry Mark no.... rotating directional vents at that!

Thanks Bob, thats interesting. Are you saying that they rotated depending on the air flow over them (direction of travel)? They look to be rounded on one side and more pointed on the other.

Mark

I don't think 9132 had the garish yellow (yellow fineaweave) formica Donald as you say, it had as I remember it, the dove grey version - all these 1950s conversions including the Cafeteria Cars had a fair old mix of styles - there were some worse than that - and add in the possibility of changes made in the consequent (almost) 20 years, visits to the works.

Thanks everyone. I shall be returning to this model this week. The roof photos are great. I took some of the buffet at the NRM York last week to get the positioning in relation to the bodyside correct. I'm going to scratch build the fan vents as I don't have any castings. The underframe is going to have extra detail as well.

More photos to follow.

Vin

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Bob, it's my memory playing tricks again, and engaging mouth before putting brain into gear. It was a vacuum braked set with electric heating, which was why 9132 had to be marshalled at the end of the rake, causing grumbles from the staff who had to carry meal trays the entire length of the train.

It definitely went to London, though it was only on the one occasion. Somewhere in my slide collection I have a photo of it against the buffer stops at Euston. I have distinct memories of annoyance from the railtour organiser because it was hidden behind the platform access ramp and wasn't clearly visible to everybody in the station.

Donald

Hi Bob

Still haven't found my own photo of 9132 at Euston, but here's a link to a blog about the rebuild. The centre pic on the first page shows the coach at Euston in 1981.

http://www.gotopcs.net/644intro.htm

Donald

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Vin

Any updates on this?  I've just started work on my own version and am very interested in how yours is progressing.

Unlike you, I put a 10 thou overlay on top of the infilled windows which cut out a LOT of filling and filing. This was actually how the real coaches were modified, with a plywood panel over the whole area.

IMG_0825a_zps1f1e1ce2.jpg

Cheers

Donald

Hi Donald,

The Gresley build has stalled a bit. Every time I come to do a bit on it. Work, life and stuff get in the way. It is up and running and painted. It does need some mods on the roof and chassis. Overlaying the windows does stop the need for extra filling. When you get to the roof and marrying it to the chassis you do need a lot of filler.

Vin

Hi Vin

I intend to put mine on a brass underframe which I got from a good friend. When I get a kit from Ian Kirk. I tend to buy body parts only as I'm not a fan of Ian's plastic bogies and underframe.I expect to fit Sidelines 'heavyweight' bogies which are the correct pattern for this coach. I'll still need to source or alternatively scratchbuild some of the underframe fittings. I expect I'll have to scratchbuild all of the roof vents.

I'll look forward to seeing some piccies of your finished model.

Cheers

Donald

Archived