Weathering Locos and Wagons

• 3 weeks later...

any recent wagons to show off Andrew?

Thanks, No nothing at the moment, I do have a few to do, but I'm waiting for some more to arrive in the New Year then I can do a batch which is easier and less paint waste. I also have my 2 x O Gauge Wagons to do and 2 more on there way to me, again in the New Year. I also have a pair of O Gauge Heljan Class 25 and 26 to do at some point as well.

So in short, there will be some in the New Year.

• Like 3

Thanks, No nothing at the moment, I do have a few to do, but I'm waiting for some more to arrive in the New Year then I can do a batch which is easier and less paint waste. I also have my 2 x O Gauge Wagons to do and 2 more on there way to me, again in the New Year. I also have a pair of O Gauge Heljan Class 25 and 26 to do at some point as well.

So in short, there will be some in the New Year.

I'm going to have to book a master class for the next time I'm in the area

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Ben, Thanks for your interest.

The Airbrush and Baby Elephant Compressor came from Everything Airbrush near Bournemouth and worked out about £60 all in.

attachicon.gifRM Air Brush Backscene 023 - Copy.JPG

For Loco weathering I like Acrylics, mainly because I work in a Shed and because I can wash everything out under the Tap.

I also use Carr's Weathering Powders that I've had for about 20 years, there's a couple of Rust colours a Soot and a sort of Brown / Black mix.

I do use Enamels for doing some Dry Brushing as well.

Hi Andy,

Not sure if you've ever done total repaints as opposed to just weathering, but if you have - do you go with Railmatch paints?  For that kind of thing, I assume a compressor and airbrush is the better bet, rather than running from compressed air in a can?

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Not sure if you've ever done total repaints as opposed to just weathering, but if you have - do you go with Railmatch paints?  For that kind of thing, I assume a compressor and airbrush is the better bet, rather than running from compressed air in a can?

Rich

Rich, SORRY for the late reply, I just read your post in 7mm saying you had asked me a question here so dashed over to answer it.

I've never done a Re-spray only weathering and I just have a cheap Air Brush and a Baby Elephant Compressor, about £65 all in from Everything Air Brush..

• 2 years later...

Just gunna pop up here three years after the last guy...

You’re a great painter, so I was wondering if you had any advice for a derelict or rusty look to a wagon/locomotive?

I’ve experimented with a moss texture for my Lima 4F, which I think went pretty well but I’m not a very good painter.

Here’s the loco as it is now, could you please advise anything that I could do with it?

Thanks

-PT14

DD822EEF-46D1-47F3-B9EC-5F3FC5F33434.jpeg

C81D9851-CF58-4339-AB66-0329573967F0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, PannierTanker14 said:

You’re a great painter, so I was wondering if you had any advice for a derelict or rusty look to a wagon/locomotive?

I’ve experimented with a moss texture for my Lima 4F, which I think went pretty well but I’m not a very good painter.

Here’s the loco as it is now, could you please advise anything that I could do with it?

Thanks

-PT14

I recommend Roundup Pro Biactive 360. 

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, PannierTanker14 said:

Thanks

-PT14

Hi PT, The first thing I would say is less green and more rust.

I've never really looked at Locos in Scrap Yards, but here is a picture I saved a few years ago in order to do my WD, and my rendition of it.

208060530_WDWeathering002.JPG.7c601532e19cdc1fa3a1a750dfdaf70e.JPG

1854495745_WDWeathering010.JPG.c526dfbc8ea1cd4c6f4030447d7fc28b.JPG

2107853783_WDWeathering014.JPG.69138e5ecd42ba996196a800515453b3.JPG

I hope this is of some help mate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...