Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best looking locomotive

7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Bottom two I would agree with.

Top two, not really.

At least the GWR rebuilt the M&SWR thing into something normal looking. Definitely on my list of future purchases.

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/293/4l4-galloping-alice-mswjr-2-6-0-gwr-rebuild/

spacer.png

Jason

Now that you come to mention it, mine too! Though, the MSWJR Maroon livery is nice on it.

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

I'm not sure about those extra-tall second and third chimneys in the dome and cab. Look like they might struggle with bridges and such.

But then no issue with smoke obscuring the driver's view of the road ahead...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't like LNER Apple Green, or the lining; looks gaudy and fairground-like to my mind.  But I like the look of the A1, purposeful, powerful to the point of brutality, and uncompromisingly practical with that drop at the front to the buffer beam, a no-nonsense get down to business looking sort of loco.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 08/02/2020 at 07:44, The Johnster said:

I don't like LNER Apple Green, or the lining; looks gaudy and fairground-like to my mind.  But I like the look of the A1, purposeful, powerful to the point of brutality, and uncompromisingly practical with that drop at the front to the buffer beam, a no-nonsense get down to business looking sort of loco.

I mostly agree, the one thing I'm not so sure of is how long the smokebox is, it just looks weird. It doesn't have to be Gresley length, but a midpoint would probably be ideal. I'm 100% sure I have no idea what I'm talking about and there's a good reason for it, though.

Edited by lepidotos

Personally I prefer it in BR blue.

The smokebox is long so they could fit everything in. If you look at the size of the double chimney and consider that has to go down into the smokebox to the double blast pipes. Then behind the blastpipes you've got the superheater.

These were designed for double chimneys rather than altered like the A3 and A4s. Which both had everything crammed in. You can get an idea how much stuff is in the smokebox here.

https://www.a1steam.com/boiler-and-smokebox/

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 02/08/2020 at 00:44, The Johnster said:

I don't like LNER Apple Green, or the lining; looks gaudy and fairground-like to my mind.

That's what comes of being raised on GWR cowpat green Mr Johnster ;)  though I agree that apple green is perhaps too light a shade for a big engine such as Tornado (it looks fine on a more compact machine like an A3). My favourite livery for an A1 is Ian Rathbone's beautiful fictitious Great Central scheme which would have made an excellent BR express livery in my view (it would go well with blood and custard carriages provided the same shade of crimson was used).

Regarding outline, I think pacifics are at the limit of what can be built within the british loading gauges without looking too long and narrow and for me the A1 is aesthetically borderline, sometimes looking very good and sometimes not quite. The LMS Coronation is the same, though for some reason not the Princess Royal, which really is too long and skinny by any objective criterion.  But to me it just looks supremely elegant.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

GWR cowpat green?  Better than LBSCR Stroudly improved baby vomit...

A3s look best in GNR livery, A4s and streamlined Coronations in plain black.  I think Tornado would look about right in GNR, but she's an overtly modern looking late 40s beast and I thought her initial grey suited her.  A1s spent most, some all, of their working lives in GWR cowpat and looked fine to my taste, but I'll admit to a bias.  But not to the extent that I'd condemn early BR's LNW lined black on Halls, Granges etc.

My cowpat bias means that I find most locos acceptable in BR lined cowpat, but make an exception for LMS pacifics in Crimson Lake; superb, but only when kept clean.  GER royal blue sits well on most locos as well, but the Caley livery is just too gaudy on big engines, as is apple green. Most pre-grouping liveries are too intricate for modern locos, GC, LBSC, LT&S, NER, NB, GSW etc.  Malachite is another fairground livery.  But the previous Southern livery, a simple lined olive green, is about my favourite loco livery overall.

Blood and custard is a bit fairground for my taste and lined maroon sat better on coaching stock.  Corporate BR liveries are the death of reason, the beginning of the end of course, but plain blue looked good on multiple units, at least until the horrible full yellow ends appeared.  But those yellow ends saved lives...

All of which is an indication either of my very good taste or lack thereof.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

I know we all have different definitions/translations of beauty, 

but I really think that belongs in the 'other' thread!

I dunno. It's got a certain chunky, no-nonsense functionality about it. If there was a fight, I'd be on its side.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I always thought the Stirling Singles look better with the dome and the splasher slots filled in.

Can't find a decent photo but here's a model.

https://prestonservices.co.uk/item/5-gauge-stirling-single-4-2-2-steam-locomotive/

Jason

Agreed, then they're almost as good looking as an Achilles class!