Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best looking locomotive

In stark contrast to the 'Ugliest Locomotive' thread, I thought I'd kick of a thread to find the best looking locomotive.

My nominees:

LNER A4

LNER P2/1

and something a little closer to home

J&A Brown ROD 2-8-0 (Robinson O4)

I don't buy into the glamour of high profile locomotives, to be honest I wouldn't and don't give half of them a second glance, so to me the likes of the A4 etc are just met with indifference. The Stanier 8F I think looks fantastic in a purposeful way, and I love the Peckett type R and type W series of 0-4-0STs. My absolute favourites are the SP AC10 cab forwards though, unconventional, ungainly, brutish and yet absolutely captivating. Diesel wise I tend lean towards the same place, I love the look (even more so the noise) of the SD45T-2. It is such an ugly, thuggish machine that it looks brilliant, in much the same way that the R32 Skyline GTR will never win a beauty contest, but I find that to be the best looking car on the planet.

Edited by Zunnan
  • Like 3

All engines with copper caped chimney.

Well to me it will be engines with clean outlines and a balanced look and with a tapered boiler. Ie Halls, 28XX, 47XX, 4575, 5101 and 43XX. And also the copies. Black 5, 8F, Coronation (none streamlined) etc.

Edited by industrial
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I find it MUCH harder to choose my favourite "best" looker, as against my "worst" looker.

My steam choice is either a Peppercorn A1/A2 or Britannia.

My diesel choice is the Deltic.

We will no doubt get as many variations of choice in this thread as there are posts. I think it's important to distinguish how we perceive looks as against all round favourites (taking lots of other criteria into consideration).

Jeff

Guest Natalie Graham

Top 3:

Sacré's Class 6B for the MS&L

Jones' Strath class on the HR

Manson's 8 class on the G&SWR

Edited by Natalie Graham
  • Like 2

Although I'm died in the wool GW, an LSWR T9 takes some beating.

I find it hard to have a firm favourite from one day to the next. For all that I share John's enthusiasm for the T9 (no layout can have too many), other Drummond and Adam 4-4-0s share the pedestal, as does the straight-framed "Saint". And Gresley had a good eye, too.

Steam:

Favourite engine is 62005: (also seen here: http://www.blackhatr...o.uk/p340258256 )

Other favourits are a NER Q6 (some of which here: http://www.blackhatr...o.uk/p103989125 )

And really adore a J21 (LSWR T9 - Youve got to be joking - melt it and make another one of these... http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p570292127/h239e84eb#h239e84eb )

Have to crave the indulgance of an A4 and A2.

Away from the region I adore (yes its possible :O ) - GWR Panniers, 14xx, Castle and a King get my vote. Black 5's, Rebuilt Royal Scot's and Ivatt 2MT-T

BR standards - Britannia class, Duke is a gorgeous monster of a machine, 76xxx and 78xxx.

Diesel:

Class 66!! One in particular: http://www.blackhatr...o.uk/p151123395

Also rans, class 37, class 50, class 60 on appearance of looks....

Units:

Going get my leg pulled here, but hey.... http://www.blackhatr...o.uk/p302187427

Could have been class 158, class 170.

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 2

BlackHat, heres a couple of photo's of 62005 I took in Holbeck in 1967. I'll never forget that number, as my mate (departing footplate) and I were seeking 6'ers. The only 3 we saw was 62005 at Holbeck and 2 B1's at Wakefield, 61123 & 61189.

post-6884-0-00562400-1335630765.jpg

post-6884-0-13857600-1335630779.jpg

Brit15

• Like 3

This seems to be a very parochial thread, Zunnan excepted. Having said that I haven't yet worked out what I think is best looking. (which of course is not nessasarily the same as my favorite) but I know it might not be from the UK

• RMweb Premium

Robinson 4-4-0 "Bogie pom-pom" before it was altered with a higher pitched boiler. Perfect proportions and stunning livery. Even better (but only just) than the GCR Atlantics and the Sacre (how do you type an accent?) 4-4-0 mentioned above.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit of an easy one on the steam front, has to be a B1. . .no wait make that a V2. . . . . but then you can't leave out the A4 or 1 or 2 or 3......

I know lets look at diesels

Easy again it's a Deltic. . . . . . . . .Hang on I meant 52, yep 52 but then what about the Hymek.

I give up.

• Like 3

Anything by Nigel Gresley without the A4/W1/P2/2 streamlining. If one doesn't transpire before I shuffle off this mortal coil, and if there's any truth in reincarnation, I want to come back as a new-build P2 in original form.

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 1

I think this is a difficult one. My favourite locomotive class - Peppercorn A1s - is not necessarily the most beautiful. Equally, the ones I find the most "handsome" - the A2/3s - are also not "beautiful".

I think there's only one locomotive class I could honestly describe as beautiful - perfectly proportioned, with a stunning bright livery.

The Ivatt C1, 4-4-2. Arguably, then, the refinement by Marsh for his H2 Atlantic for the LBSCR, if not in livery but in form, perfects the original.

• Like 1

Oooh, this is the ultimate in subjective opinion. My answer would be a J11, or basically anything designed by J G Robinson. With the Midland engines designed by Johnson as my unbiased neutral choice. But I think Edwardian engines in general were incredibly handsome. To my mind the more modern engines tend to be impressive (at best) rather than beautiful. I think it has something to do with the relative size of the boiler and the consequent reduced ability to fit seemly boiler mountings.

But as I said, it's a deeply subjective thing...

• Like 1