Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best looking locomotive

• RMweb Premium

British steam - unstreamlined Coronation, closely followed by the Standard 5 and WD 2-8-0.

Euro steam - the superb DB 01 4-6-2.

British diesel - it has to be the Western.

Euro diesel - no idea!

Guest Belgian

If you want success then the aforementioned PRR K4 has to be up there, 425 built from 1914, with some still in revenue service at the end of steam in 1957.

Adrian

But 'Mallard' was built for speed, and she is the fastest of all. She wins.

JE

Edited by Belgian

• RMweb Premium

Not a very good picture, Paul. You can't see DP1 very well 'cos that green one gets in the way. :sungum:

David

But then you'd need a very wide angle lens................. :jester:

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Someone convince me how ANY diesel can be classed as 'best looking locomotive' ???!!??? :sungum:

I'm trying very hard not to see a carrot dangling on a stick.................. :locomotive:

Cheers

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Having followed the best and worst looking threads, what has appeared on BOTH lists?

A4 and D*lt*cs are my first thoughts.

These threads are a bit like "best dressed" and "worst dressed" lists - some people will pop up on both lists.

Cheers,

Mick

Is there a criteria for beauty, I wonder? Many people would agree Mona Lisa - the subject of the famous painting - is not necessarily beautiful, but the careful, detailed brush strokes which make up the whole, are.

The WD, for instance, strikes me as handsome because it has a certain elegance in its austerity. Clean, clear lines throughout. But is it beautiful?

What is the criteria for beauty?

What we need is an expert in Aesthetics, that is "the Doctrine which we vaguely and periphrastically denominate the Philosophy of Taste, the theory of the Five Arts, the Science of the Beautiful, etc." - it says here.

Anybody want to ring up Brian Sewell and ask him what criterion or criteria he would apply in judging whether a Gronk is more or less sublime than a Duchess?

Edit: emoticons not working - assume wink.

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 2

...for diesel an NBL D600 class Warship in its orginal form with headcode discs.

Interesting - When "Design" Magazine published a special on the planned new British Rail image back in 1963, special mention was given to the visual design of the D600 class as one on which some care had been taken. Pity that the loco's performance disappointed, though of course it was on a hiding to nothing being trialled against the D800 in the Western Region...

(Now, where's me tin helmet?)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not a very good picture, Paul. You can't see DP1 very well 'cos that green one gets in the way. :sungum:

David

Oh yes the worlds best Diesel loco of the 1950s is hidden there

• RMweb Premium

Interesting - When "Design" Magazine published a special on the planned new British Rail image back in 1963, special mention was given to the visual design of the D600 class as one on which some care had been taken. Pity that the loco's performance disappointed, though of course it was on a hiding to nothing being trialled against the D800 in the Western Region...

(Now, where's me tin helmet?)

I do like the D600s I will be getting a D601 one day, but not sure if to do early WR Diesel or pretend it escaped Barry

But 'Mallard' was built for speed, and she is the fastest of all. She wins.

JE

(Now completely OT.)

Possibly so, but give them equal loads on the climb out of Altoona and I know which would be faster...

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

If we're going Pennsy (and I do like those choices, particularly the T1), surely the GG1 has to get an honourable mention?

They look fast and powerful, and they were exactly that.

But most importantly they were unstoppable and had a service life spanning 48 years.

Here's Lowey himself in a publicity shot with a new GG1.

See post #77. I've already started the ball running for the GG1. Best looking electric loco EVER. Bar none. :-)

• RMweb Gold

I would like to put in a vote for "ROCKET" The best of it's day.

Although not a GWR fan The Finest sight I ever saw and still remember vividly was a double chimney Castle (I think it was Defiant) through Reading on the middle track (early 60's) on the up Bristolian or Cheltnam Flyer

• Like 1

See post #77. I've already started the ball running for the GG1. Best looking electric loco EVER. Bar none. :-)

Kettle = LBSCR "Remebrance" class Baltic tank.

Diesel = Hymek

Electric = Pennsy GG1

Right you are. Sorry I missed it in all the noise and confusion. ;) A worthy choice indeed.

Steam-wise I'd say the Jubilee, Britannia, 6100 and rebuilt West Country classes. I'm also going to stick my neck out and say the streamlined Coronation in wartime black. Not keen on them at all in blue or maroon, but in black they just seem like a completely different beast, somehow. Maybe it's just the old goth in me...

For diesel I'd have to plump for the HST in original livery. Other than that I've always liked the class 40's utilitarian looks and class 02s are just adorable 8)

As for electric, I can't get excited by any of the locos, so I'll say the APT with black cab window surround.

Edited by Cleefy
  • Like 1

Steam- Stanier 2 cyl 2-6-4T. Best looking passenger tank ever built.

Diesel- Ivatt twins. Right first time in 1947...Diesel loco shape went downhill from there......

Bus- 1958 East Lancs bodied Leyland Titan PD3/5..... in Boltons later maroon and cream livery... :declare: (cough cough)

Jon F.

Edited by Jon Fitness

For all these similar threads, ("Ugliest", "Silliest", "Best Looking") surely it has to be the ones that stand out from the crowd, whether for the right or wrong reasons, so we should be looking at one offs, or examples treated differently to the majority of the class, or classes that are a radical departure from the norm, rather than just nominating large classes or 'everything designed by J Bloggs'.

So for example most streamlined types are worthy of a mention as are the Deltics and Western as looking very different to the average 'box on wheels', but to the uninitiated all GWR 4-6-0s look very similar...