Taff Vale 0-6-2t 02 drawings

Having trawlled the net to no avail I hope to find some drawings of the Taff Vale 02.I want to build an old Wills T.V.R U1 fit smaller wheels and hopefully end up with an 02.I recall in the 70's or very early 80's.Either Railway modeller or poss Model Railway Constructor had some drawings.One of the members of Birtley MRE had built two of the afore mentioned kits one as Lambton No 52.and he used draswings from one of the mags at the time.Sadly he is no longer with us so I can't ask him

I know one of the 1984 Modeller's has drawings of the 04 but I'm pretty certain the wheelbase is different.The 02 wheelbase having the rear drivers and centre drivers fairly close coupled.I have tried Gibsons they do a U1 chassis but again not sure of the wheelbase.The replacement SE finecast is I know a generic replacement for a proprietry chassis and the wheel spacings are way out for the TVR 02

Guest dilbert

There is an outline drawing of the TVR O2 in Russell's Great Western Absorbed Engines (ISBN 0-902888-74-9) on page 125. The dimensions between the centre driving axle and the rear driving axle is stated as 6'0". Russell comments that the wheel dia was that of the TVR O1 = 4'6½"... dilbert

PS and just to confirm, the same book notes the distance between the centre and rear drivers of the TVR O4 at 6'9".

In the '50's there was a long series of Welsh loco and rolling stock drawings in the "Model Railway Constructor". I have most if not all of them here. Not my railway so not indexed, but if you come up with dates, I will see what I can find. Mick Nicholson.

Simon,

The MRC drawings were drawn by TL Jones and I believe that they are now in the hands of the Welsh Railways Research Circle so it might be worth contacting them. I understand that it is the intention to produce a book of drawings for the TVR in a similar vein to the Rhymney volume they published fairly recently and the O2 might appear in that (but you probably don't want to wait). The other source you could try fro dimensional info is the RCTS Locos of the GWR Volume 10, Absorbed Locos 1921-1947 - I'd look it up but don't have it to hand.

I always thought it odd that Wills chose a prototype that disappeared so early (1927 from memory) while other TVR tanks survived well into the nationalaised era.

Cheers

Rod

TVR No. 85 is preserved on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway - currently in bits for a 'fast-track' overhaul, but will be back in service before too long. I'm not sure whether this is an '02' though...

Cheers,

Will

I know No52 well (TVR 85) This is the loco I want to model way back in the 60's I spent many happy hours watching her and the other Lambton tanks. I crawled all over her when she was in the corner of the old storage shed at Philadelphia I was only 12 at the time and didn't think about such tings then.I saw her a couple of times in the old museum at Haworth.Then in the late 90's My late wife and I took a trip to Haworth me to get some decent photos and check the Lambton cab to measure it etc.Guess what it had been moved into the restoration line, and was a kit of parts I did enquire about the cab only to be told "I think it was cut up a couple of days ago, Well it will recieve a Taff Vale cab" Oh ###### thats my luck I've had the U1 kit since the late 80's and I've just got round to modelling Philadelphia

Guest Natalie Graham

It was April 86 Modeller that had the 04 drawings as did July 1949 MRC according to the BRMNA drawings index which has no listing for an 02. I have MRC in bound volumes from 51 to 58 and looking through the indexes the U and U1 are in the March 55 issue.

Edit it add: the Historical Model Railway Society has a general arrangement drawing of a Taff Vale 0-6-2T, HMRS drawing number 3662, which doesn't say what class it was but is dated 02-09-1899 and is of a loco built by Neilson Reid & Co. so, from my meagre knowledge of the railway, I think that would mean it is the one you are looking for.

• RMweb Premium

I have a copy of the Skinley drawing for the U1, dwg no. 230.H. if this might be of any help. (I built the Wills kit quite a long time ago).

- Richard.

A couple of things which may or may not help!

Firstly some manufacturer's info but I have no idea (a) which class of loco it is for, or ( b ) where on the internet I found it:

post-9324-0-90412100-1335857362_thumb.jpg

Secondly, No.85 in preserved condition on the KWVR:

post-9324-0-94970900-1335857406_thumb.jpg

I too can remember it in Oxenhope exhibition shed with the Lambton-style cab... there will be photos on the net but I can't imagine any drawings still kicking about.

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

As you will see from my moniker, the Taff Vale is close to my field of interest but not that close! I am HMRS RR steward.

A few odd bits of information that might be useful.

1 The HMRS has some other drawings that may thyrow some light, but they may not be currently available:

HMRS ref 1544 drawing no A26, 0-6-2T late A2 Taff Vale No. 108 GWR No 278 class (this is the O4)

HMRS ref 1546 drawing no A34, 0-6-2T late A12 and A13 Taff Vale U and U1 class GWR 587 class

HMRS ref 1547 drawing no A32, 0-6-2T late A4 Taff Vale A class no 3, GWR no 438 class

HMRS ref 1552 drawing no A40, 0-6-2T late A4 Taff Vale A class GWR 438 class no 376

Not much direct help I am afraid except in a negative way.

2 I would expect that somewhere I the HMRS photo collection there are photos of the Lambton locos, but I am not sure these days how to find them.

3 The WRRC is indeed producing a book of TVR drawings using the drawings prepared by Trefor Jones and Mike Morton Lloyd. However, based on the speed of production of the Rhymney book I wouldn't hold your breath. But some of the RR drawings were previously available for purchase separately, and you might find someone with a copy of the one you want. They were usually quite a large scale. If you want to see what the WRRC knows you could try contacting the Society'y line superintendent, who I think is now Basil Stephens, 55 Church Road, West Kirby CH48 0RN. Remember the usual SAE and try to make your request specific. If you want to know about progress with the book I suggest you use the contact point on the website. or ask Black Dwarf Lightmoor, which is the WRRC's publisher.

4 Unfortunately tjhere seems to be no HMRS Steward for the TVR at present, but you could contact the GWR Absorbed Lines steward via the website.

5 I don't have the MRN drawing series but I do have the RM series, and there was only one TVR drawing, of the O4 class by Ian Beattie in, I think, 1986 (page 164). Not much help.

6 I think the 1899 reference must be to an O2 as it was the only TVR class built that year, according to the Ian Allan Locomotives at the grouping volume. That unfortunately gives no dimensional information.

Best of luck

Jonathan David

A lot of very usueful information many thanks again.I think I will go with the U1 chassis as supllied by Gibsons. I have plenty of photos in the Lambton days courtesy of the Lambton loco trust site, pages and pages!.I also have plans formulating in that I think the Kitson locos are very similar to the Nielson Reid locos.Plus very early stages but on another posting apparently some of the Rhymney Stephensons are similar to the Lambton ones.Also if I jump forward four or five years I can use a class 14 Teddy thus completeing the Western influence in Co Durham No52 was a shed bound cripple at that point though

• 2 months later...

I have just received today a Gibson Taff Vale 01 chassis and doing some quick measurements I think the wheel centers match the 02. The 01 chassis appears to be 30mm x 24 mm.just casting a rule over it but if I'm correct that works out 7'6" x6' a midges elbow off the 02.Guess I'll have to order a motor and gearbox now and get the soldering iron on

Hi Simon, good to see that you seem to have found a solution. Will you be posting pics of the build on here? I, for one, would be keen to keep up with your progress. I have future plans to convert a couple of Wills U1 kits; one into a GWR rebuild of the Taff O4 and the other into the Cardiff Railway's 27 class.

Cheers,

Nick

I hope to get started in the next week or so.I want to order a comet chassis jig/spacer.I have built a couple of perserverence chassis and a couple of OLD Nu-cast J27 chassis.

I will build it as a rigid chassis,I have had the kit in stock for over 20 years.I will keep you posted and hopefully put some pictures up of the build.I'm not a fast worker though!!

Archived