Aysgarth Model Railway Club

Guest Tom F

Guest Tom F

Hi all

Aysgarth Station is the first station on the unrestored section of the Wensleydale Branch line, the old NER route from Northallerton on the ECML through to Garsdale on the S&C. The station is having a lot of work done on it, as the plan is for the Wensleydale Railway to reach Aysgarth in the next 5 years, as the current terminus at Redmire is only 3 miles away.

Last year, Richmond Model Railway Club donated the model railway to the WR, and it's home is now the Waiting Room at Aysgarth Station. As I'm local to the area with my keen interest in the hobby, I've sort of become leader, as for a good few months there was just me working on it.

Another chap has joined us, Neil, which has helped alot, and we did some work this weekend on track. The scenery is somewhat dated, so I've redone a quarter of the layout with my static grass applicator, which has certainly improved the look at the 'Hawes' end of the layout.

I'd like the layout to have more prototypical motive power. i.e J21, J25, D20 rather than the stock inherited i,e B17 and V3 tank engine.

If there is anyone here on RMWweb who would like to get involved with the layout, you would be very welcome and I can be contacted on here, or by posted responses in this thread.

Don't think there are any clubs in the Dales, so this maybe a first.

I'll leave you with these videos of the layout as it was when we inherited it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCnaxPaVdRs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKuXCSiEdD0

Guest Tom F

Today myself and Neil have done some more work on the layout. The main track problems are on the baseboard joins from when the layout was donated. As the layout doesn't intend to move in the near future, then replacing with nice clean stretches across the baseboard joins seemed like the best job.

These are pretty much done now, with much smoother running, especially with my new (2nd Hornby B1). The final thing today was replacing a large section of track across the yard behind the goods shed.

There is an open day tomorrow at the station site. I'll be operating the layout, and should any RMwebber be around, please call over to the station. It's free, and you get to see some rather interesting North Eastern artefacts laying around on what is a fantastically preserved station site.

Cheers

Hi Tom

I visited this on the Monday and was impressed by what you have achieved so far. It was a shame I did not make it on the Sunday but I had no Internet access to see when you would be there.

I often visit the Dales and may look at booking the Station Cottage in the future, if I do I will let you know as I am happy to help out on the Model and the real thing of course.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tom F

Hi Tom

I visited this on the Monday and was impressed by what you have achieved so far. It was a shame I did not make it on the Sunday but I had no Internet access to see when you would be there.

I often visit the Dales and may look at booking the Station Cottage in the future, if I do I will let you know as I am happy to help out on the Model and the real thing of course.

Jim

Thanks Jim

You would be certainly more than welcome! :)

If anyone is in the area this week, we are having a Club Meeting at the George and Dragon pub in Aysgarth at 7.30 on Monday 21st May.

All would be very welcome!

Archived