Haston

Chris Gilbert

Had a great time a Trainwest over the weekend and good to meet up with madgaster.

Haston has suffered with deforestation following this winters pot hole season so I need sort that before its next show

It was great to have Steve as a relief operator for a couple of hour on Sunday but I was a little concerned that he hadn't noticed the flashing grade crossing lights until he'd finished his stint unsure.gifunsure.gifunsure.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Oh well two more shows to go

Had a great time a Trainwest over the weekend and good to meet up with madgaster.

Haston has suffered with deforestation following this winters pot hole season so I need sort that before its next show

It was great to have Steve as a relief operator for a couple of hour on Sunday but I was a little concerned that he hadn't noticed the flashing grade crossing lights until he'd finished his stint unsure.gifunsure.gifunsure.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Was nice to meet you to chris and see your layout in the flesh , I must get on with mine!!!!

My wife always says I can never see anything under my nose!! :)

Steve

• 3 months later...

Chris, saw the layout at Glasgow - excellent, also in the June Continental Modeller. A question please, who is the manufacture of the 'New Fall Trees' you repopulated the layout with when it moved to Vermont. More often or not autumn/fall trees are to bright and gaudy, the colours you have used certainly captured the feel of New England.

Regards Mike Lee

Hi Mike

Glad you enjoyed the layout…

I made the trees using Forrest in a Box http://www.green-scene.co.uk/box.htm

I leave them over the weekend to soak in water and then peg them on a washing line, strung up in the garage. I also attach peg to the other end of the trees in an attempt to straighten then out.

I will leave them for a week to dry out.

After that, I spray each tree one at a time with cheap tacky hair spray.

I then throw Nock fall leaves at the tree until i think it looks right.

Noch did two packs that each had four different Fall colours but I can't seem to find them on the web.

Hope this helps

Chris

Chris

Thanks very much for the information.

I have checked the Noch site and it seems that they only do one pack of mixed Autumn Leaves, cat # 07168, yellow, red, red brown, & orange. Woodland Scenics do a similar pack, Fall Mix cat # F1135. I will probably get both?

I have tried the method you describe for straightening the 'Forest in a Box' trees, the only difference I did was after the trees had been soaked, I shook off the water then immersed them in a thin PVA-Water mix before hanging them up to dry. In an attemp to straighten them I used a 'Bulldog' type clip with a weight on the end, as much weight as the tree would take without breaking!

Thanks once again, Mike.

Archived