last days of the class 505s

I recentley come across some excellent detail pics of these interesting units...

cant embed the images sadly but here they are..

http://www.flickr.co...ckr/5817324361/

http://www.flickr.co...ckr/6345168661/

http://www.flickr.co...ckr/6288907289/

http://www.flickr.co...ckr/5817893208/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/6289425368/

Mike

Edited by michael delamar
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Some nice record shots there Mike. I do vaguely recall seeing this stock on one occasion after withdrawal. I was also in Altrincham a couple of weeks ago, but it's difficult to relate some of the Flickr pictures to what is there now.

Ah, the old MSJA. Many Short Jerks and Away! Went on them in 1968ish whilst doing the Manchester show. From what I remember they had quite a good rate of acceleration.

• Like 1

Is there a name for that kind of "shutter over the headlight" arrangment, most closely seen in post no6?

Was it controlled from inside the cab? Did the lamps burn all the time, even when the shutter was over them? Any idea on the colours - some red?

Are they from the same school of (non-)design as the 4-COR? i.e. take a normal loco-hauled coach (main line/suburban to taste), and cut holes in the end for the driver to see out of. Stick a light or headcode box on somewhere convenient. Job done.

Edited by eastwestdivide

its not something I plan to model, however I do plan to model the LMS 1927 electrics used in Liverpool up to around 1964.

im pretty sure they share common parts.

would I be right in thinking the trailer cars are 57ft non corridor coaches and that comet kits would do?

the vents on the power cars look the trickiest to do.

Guest Phil

There used to be three coaches at the Midland Railway Centre, no idea if they're still there.

29663, 29666, 29670.

Were these actually a class 506 which was an LNER design very similar to the AC class 306 EMUs ?

according to Wikipedia..

I"n April 1971 all the Class 505 Altrincham Electric units were withdrawn when the line was converted from 1,500 V DC to 25 kV AC. Two centre trailer cars, M29666 and M29670 (MSJAR 117 and 121), were purchased by the Altrincham Electric Railway Preservation Society and moved to the Yorkshire Dales Railway (now Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway). In 1983 they were moved to the Midland Railway Centre (now Midland Railway - Butterley) in Derbyshire where they are undergoing restoration. Here they joined centre trailer coach M29663 (MSJAR 114) which had been bought by Derby City Council. This coach was broken up in 2006. No driving coaches have been preserved"

so they are basically LMS suburban coaches?

and if they were green when new in 1931, what shade? I would have thought they'd have been LMS maroon

Guest Phil

according to Wikipedia..

I"n April 1971 all the Class 505 Altrincham Electric units were withdrawn when the line was converted from 1,500 V DC to 25 kV AC. Two centre trailer cars, M29666 and M29670 (MSJAR 117 and 121), were purchased by the Altrincham Electric Railway Preservation Society and moved to the Yorkshire Dales Railway (now Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway). In 1983 they were moved to the Midland Railway Centre (now Midland Railway - Butterley) in Derbyshire where they are undergoing restoration. Here they joined centre trailer coach M29663 (MSJAR 114) which had been bought by Derby City Council. This coach was broken up in 2006. No driving coaches have been preserved"

so they are basically LMS suburban coaches?

and if they were green when new in 1931, what shade? I would have thought they'd have been LMS maroon

Thanks Mike and apologies to the previous poster. As I mentioned, it was the class 506 "Glossop" set that I wasm thinking of. Didn't realise any MSJA stock survived.

It once again underlines the issue of non preservation of much of our heritage EMU stock, no matter or rare or worthy. It seems bizarre that we can have a bit of Japanese bullet train in the NRM at York, yet an iconic Merseyside EMU was left to rot unseen and unaccessible in military sidings, then transported to one of the wettest and most inhospitable locations to deteriorate further. The same goes for the only (practical) example of British double deck railway stock, and what about the PEP stock - arguably the most important grandaddy of ourEMUs of today, particularly 313,314,315,507 and 508.

Rant over

Edited by Phil
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

not heard them referred to as cl.505, but i'm sure i've read about them being (nominally if not actually carried) as 301 when they were converted to AC. other articles i've seen on them just refer to MSJA stock.

the original cross-arm panto was changed to single-arm stone-faiveley type in 1970 in readiness of the conversion from 1500V DC to 25kV AC (may 1971)