last days of the class 505s

• RMweb Premium

do you mean the Morecombe Heysham units?

i think you're correct, the morecombe units were the test-bed for AC traction, albeit at 6.25kV?

apologies michael, the way i read the info was that the MSJA units had been converted - re-reading, it seems the pantos were changed to SF type to match the new catenary installed as a precursor to the line and infrastructure being made 25kV - the units were still 1500v DC

incidentally, which of these units (if any) were converted from former watford stock? i'm a bit confused with this, as some o/h units clearly have bogies with shoe-beam brackets visible

as an aside, is this the only time SF pantos have been used on DC on BR?

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

Hi,

They were indeed originally in LMS lined maroon, not green until BR days.

Tony

thanks Tony,

cant find a shot of the Altrincham units in LMS maroon, got one of a 1927 Watford car which should give a good idea of how they looked.

post-27-0-09852200-1336347735.jpg

also note in the pics above by Robert Carroll at Oxford rd,the green unit has vents above the door windows, yet the blue one doesnt.

if anyone can advise on how best to model the vents on the side of the power cars id be interested to know, I plan on modelling the Liverpool 1927 units using comet suburban coaches as a basis.

• Like 1

i think you're correct, the morecombe units were the test-bed for AC traction, albeit at 6.25kV?

apologies michael, the way i read the info was that the MSJA units had been converted - re-reading, it seems the pantos were changed to SF type to match the new catenary installed as a precursor to the line and infrastructure being made 25kV - the units were still 1500v DC

incidentally, which of these units (if any) were converted from former watford stock? i'm a bit confused with this, as some o/h units clearly have bogies with shoe-beam brackets visible

as an aside, is this the only time SF pantos have been used on DC on BR?

no need for apologees.

Im only just learning about these and the line they ran on so I hope someone will answer your questions.

one thing, the area around Skelton junction must have been a great place to sit and watch trains back then.

Was reading my fathers LMS coaching stock book the other day, and in there it said they were just basically period2 suburban compartment coaches with cabs. Would you be able to use the kit that Dapol are making to cut and shut them into one of these?

some interesting info from an article on the 1927 Liverpool-Ormskirk stock which it says were identical to the London stock, built at the same time to the same lot and diagram numbers....

"five of the non driving trailers were later transferred to the MSJ&A in 1939- presumably they could be spared with the large scale building of open stock for Liverpool"

Edited by michael delamar

• 4 weeks later...

Just a bit more info; Class 301 was nominally allocated to the Heysham line units though they were withdrawn before it could be used, and yes the use of class 505 is the correct, and used as they survived until 1971. Concerning livery, never painted in LMS red, they carried a form of Green! before BR, it must be remembered the line was the MSJ&A Rly, operated by the LMS/LNER using LMS built stock. It was nationalised in 1948 were the units were repainted green as other BR EMU, probably following the same 2 greens in 1957, and then unique for this type of stock, BR blue, above door vents were removed at the same period (c.1970) and AC type pantographs fitted. Some other coaches from Liverpool and Watford were transferred in over the years, full history in the excellent RCTS locomotive history 10B.

adding further to post 30, the Liverpool units carried LMS maroon but not lined like the Watford units.

some nice pics of the Altrincham line in a book called Railways around Manchester, A pictorial review of the 1950s AC Gilbert and NR Knight, published 1973, no ISBN number,

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...