New LT Layout started - Hillingdon Hill

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I will get some photographs posted on here by the weekend as I want to get all the trackwork pinned down and the electrics sorted first. I did plan to make the layout moveable and possibly exhibitionable but with my health issues, I decided to make it a home layout; so it will be mounted along on one side of the garage.

I hate fiddle yards as you have bought all that stock and then you go hide it, so the unfinished fiddleyards will be sidings at one end and using Bachmann's new low relief LT station. It will assume that the trains run from the siding into the station, much like Morden but infact, go through the scenic divider onto the Hillingdon Hill section. The other end will be my version of a condensed Baker St (Met) station.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

Here are some pics showing the progress so far. The main running lines are now pinned down and I have used 1 pin approximatly every 20 sleepers or so, and the reasoning is that when the ballast is laid and glued down, the track will be down solid. The drop wires have been soldered into place and tested, so everything is looking good.

As you look at the layout, the end with the scissors crossing is heading towards Baker St and London, the other end, towards a BR connection at West Drayton or maybe a possible tube connection with the Piccadilly at Heathrow.

Comments please,

Julian Sprott

post-9991-0-90425100-1354371443_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-19543200-1354373613_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-41728100-1354373621_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-12117500-1354373628_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-96328400-1354373634_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-68328000-1354373642_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-12227200-1354373650_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-51021600-1354373657_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

My EFE 1938 Bakerloo set arrived today and when my LT Museum 1938 set comes back from MetroModels, that to will be sent off to be fitted with power bogies, DCC and lighting.

Julian Sprott

Hi Julian,

I do like your Service train, the hoppers look good.

If you want to see the arrangement of conductor rails on a scissors crossover, there is a very useful picture on the Tubeprune web site of the scissors at the approach to Ealing Broadway on the District Line. I was looking at it myself to see how I set up the conductor rails on the scissors that I've just built out of 4 Peco medium radius Code 100 Electrofrog points, see photo below.

post-6983-0-83211900-1354868872_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Going Underground, I cheated at used a Shinohara code 70 (US Standard) double crossover. It matched up well to Peco's code 75, so when it is painted, ballasted and 4th railed, you won't see the join as they say lol.

Julian Sprott

I've been meaning to create a LU layout for ages, so I dip in and out of this subforum and I really like the way this layout is progressing, (especially in the face of adversity - so well done indeed!).

I would agree with Baby Deltic that stone looks out of place for a LU layout. Brick - frequently the yellow London brick - was used extensively; from the days of "cut'n'cover" to Art Deco days. Mind you, yellow London brick didn't stay yellow for long in the days of regular pea-souper fogs.

One observation and suggestion, if I may. You seem to be using a mixture of materials (Metcalfe card kits, RTP, other types of card kits) for your buildings and from experience I know it can be a real pig to unite different types of materials into a visually cohesive whole. Therefore I would suggest keeping to as few types of material as possible. This will allow you blend all your structures together and will contribute to the overall "feel" of the layout.

I look forward to your progress!

Best

iD

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, I have noted what you said and I have decided to stick to one "style" for this portion of the layout. I am using the Metcalfe platform kits and their new Wayside Station, Shelter and Footbridge as they are based on Bradford-on-Avon station buildings, a station I know as I worked in the booking office when I worked at First Great Western, so a connection for me.

Also, my great grandfather used to work for Lord Hillingdon on one of his estates near Hillingdon Hill and in my world, as this is extention of the GWR line from West Drayton, Lord Hillingdon specified that the station was built similar to Bradford-on-Avon.

The other two portions of my layout will be build using real plans though one part is fictious, the other will be a rationalised Baker Street.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

Everything has now been wired on what track has been pinned down and the DCC worked first time.  Watching my two panniers running up and down and double headed made my chest swell, so all I need to do is finish the trackwork and tidy the wiring.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

Decided to have a radical rethink on my layout and decided not to bother with the station.  Using Bachmann's new low relief Underground station and keeping to my "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle and create station frontage with the illusion that the rest of the station is beyond the backscene.

I want to show that the station had been rebuilt to take longer trains as the originals were too short, but because of the trackplan, there was not enough room to rebuild and to give a southern access to Hillingdon Hospital.  So looking from left to right, the new Uxbridge Road station entrance with offices etc on a pedestrian walkway, the trackplan of the original but abandoned station with the siding that was once platform 1, is now used for engineering trains.  The loco headshunt remains with a new water tower built.

The other tunnel entrance carries the Uxbridge Road and it will show one side with bus stops etc.

Sensible comments welcome,

Julian Sprott

post-9991-0-77353700-1356979630_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-76915100-1356979644_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-08402900-1356979659_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-02960100-1356979673_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-08003500-1356979715_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-09893200-1356979733_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-30358300-1356979758_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-08008200-1356979777_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-81638900-1356979790_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all, due to ill health, not much to report except I hope to have my EFE 38 LT museum set back from Metromodels soon after they have breathed their magic on it.  Only my Bakerloo 38 and Northern 59 sets to do (gulp lol).

The layout maybe moving to a different room so I can extend it a bit further than 16ft than originally planned.

Julian Sprott

• 1 month later...

It's coming along quite nicely Julian. The track plan convinces (although you are going to have fun laying the third and fourth rails :-0 ) and I see you've replaced the stone tunnel mouths with brick ones, much more prototypical.

Unfortunately, to my eyes, the tunnel mouths clash with the Bachmann low relief Underground Station. The textures just don't mesh and the photos emphasise the difference between the flat surfaces of the tunnel mouths and the textured surfaces of the Bachmann model - although this may be exaggerated by the digital camera (often the case, my models - looking good "in the flesh" - sometimes look quite awful in the digital snapshots). However, have you considered embossing the tunnel mouth surfaces to get a more 3 dimensional effect?

As a work in progress, I'll be very interested in seeing how you blend everything together.

Hi

Hope you are feeling Ok Julian

Can I beg a favor ?

Can you take a pic of the EFE 38 LT museum set showing the side of one of the cars

The museum only have a pic of the box on the shop web site and I wonder if any of the signs in the windows A B C D or other stuff is on the model

Many thanks

• RMweb Gold

After yet another chat with the management and with a good friend, I have decided to continue with this layout but rename it "Uxbridge Road".  Watch with interest as I rebuild or change the weaker parts of the layout.

Julian

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a good choice.  Uxbridge Road is quite long so you can keep your options open.

(I was going to call mine Aylesbury Vale to keep it general and then the blighters built a new station and called it Aylesbury Vale Parkway!)

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone, sorry that I have been a long time off this forum but yet again, I have been visited by the big "C" and hopefully, that's the last of it.

Decided to start again and using Metcalfe's kits mainly for simplicity and the ease in which they go together.  Planning on doing a open section and scratchbuilding a tube station.  This is going to take a little time but hopefully it will look right.

Julian Sprott

Hello everyone, sorry that I have been a long time off this forum but yet again, I have been visited by the big "C" and hopefully, that's the last of it.

Decided to start again and using Metcalfe's kits mainly for simplicity and the ease in which they go together.  Planning on doing a open section and scratchbuilding a tube station.  This is going to take a little time but hopefully it will look right.

Julian Sprott

Really pleased to see that you are back and building again. To be honest, I have not achieved too much in the last year and all I can say in my defence is that I've had a new hip in the mean-time, preventing me from gaining access to the layout in the roof for a while!

'Uxbridge Central' also sends its greetings to 'Hillingdon Hill'!

All the best, Graham

• RMweb Gold

Thank you everyone for the well wishes, very much apprieciated.  I have the Bachmann low relief LT station that I want to use on my layout but at a loss as to how to postion it on my layout.  I was wondering if to model the station something similar to Hillingdon station?

Any useful ideas would be great.

Julian Sprott

• 1 year later...

I have been readin through your progress and really like how this layout is coming along.

Shame not to have seen an update in so long.

I am eally interested in this as it is very local to where i live and know a lot about where your modelling and how you are relatiing it to the old uxbridge to west drayton line

Archived