The Signal Box, Anstey

Tim Chambers

Can't remember seeing this shop mentioned on RMWeb before. Browsing through their enormous selection of DVDs and videos,I selected three and ordered by 'phone Wednesday morning-received Thursday morning- nuff said!

• Like 1

Guest Phil

Excellent shop with good service. They have a very good range of model railway stuff in addition to the largest collection of railway related DVDs that I have seen. Not the best of places to get to by public transport I imagine, but it is not too far from Shackerstone making a car trip a little more appealing

Recommended

Edited by Phil

• 1 month later...

This is my local model shop and I buy most of my stuff from here. Martin and his team are always friendly and have a wide range of 00 and N gauge stock. Not always the cheapest (compared to the box shifters) but always have the thing you need. Personally my view is - support your local model shop, I do!

Well worth a visit!

Cheers

Jeeff

Edited by D9JEF
  • Like 1

Not the best of places to get to by public transport I imagine

15-20 mins by bus (74) from the centre of Leicester, and worth it! :)

Edited by 37255
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Nice to see the Signal Box have just won the Bachmann retailer of the year. I started shopping with them when I was 12 years old with my dad (when they were based in Coalville) and still visit a couple of times in the year. The shop is well laid out and the stock is always well displayed on suitable shelving/glass cabinets. I like how they always stampt the warranty cards and always test new locos on purchase. They always have some excellent 2nd hand bargains too.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Can't remember seeing this shop mentioned on RMWeb before. Browsing through their enormous selection of DVDs and videos,I selected three and ordered by 'phone Wednesday morning-received Thursday morning- nuff said!

A bit late (?), sorry Tim, but just caught up with this thread, by they used to be one of my main wholesalers for railway vids/dvd's when I had my shop - excellent service, and quick delivery, but I believe they have had a change of owners since I packed up my shop in 2005. :sungum:

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I dropped by today for a small DCC decoder for an Ixion Fowler [gauge 0] and they helped me out with a Hornby one. They had some Bachmann buildings and a corner shop for $15 was a bargain too. I can't think of any other model rail shops in Leicestershire now.

Conveniently close to Rothley GCR [by car] and Mountsorrel too.

Dava

• Like 1

I dropped by today for a small DCC decoder for an Ixion Fowler [gauge 0] and they helped me out with a Hornby one. They had some Bachmann buildings and a corner shop for $15 was a bargain too. I can't think of any other model rail shops in Leicestershire now.

Conveniently close to Rothley GCR [by car] and Mountsorrel too.

Dava

Have known, and dealt, with this Business since the days when Maureen and her Husband owned it. A wonderful couple, and a fantastic shop - used them when I bought DVDs to support a Preservation Society, would go out of their way to help. But the market has changed so no longer in the market.  Good to see that they are still going.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another mention for this excellent little shop. Popped in for my annual post Christmas model retail therapy this week, excellent, friendly service as always. Walked out with a few wagons, and a pre-order for an area rep ltd edition class 37  :yes:

As mentioned, model railway shops are in thin supply in this neck of the woods, it's great to see this place still going strong. 

• Like 1

I've not been into the shop for quite a while, I don't get that side of Leicester often but I was once a regular when they were in Oadby, going back to 1988 when I worked in Leicester. If I remember correctly they started in an indoor market in Wigston before moving to the Oadby shop. I seem to remember they had another shop which might have been out Coalville way which closed at the same time as the Oadby shop when they moved to Anstey.

• Agree 1

• 8 months later...
On 05/01/2019 at 21:56, RANGERS said:

I've not been into the shop for quite a while, I don't get that side of Leicester often but I was once a regular when they were in Oadby, going back to 1988 when I worked in Leicester. If I remember correctly they started in an indoor market in Wigston before moving to the Oadby shop. I seem to remember they had another shop which might have been out Coalville way which closed at the same time as the Oadby shop when they moved to Anstey.

As I recall, the Coalville shop (corner of Breach and Forest Road) would have opened around the end of the 70's/beginning of the 80's ('79/80 comes to mind?)  For a 12/13-year-old modeller it was everything I could wish for- a model railway shop that I passed twice a day on my walk to school! Pretty much all of my teenage loco and stock purchases came from there, supplemented by occasional Hornby from Geoff's Toys in Coalville (now gone as well, Coalville and Loughborough shops both closed a couple of years ago)

I'm fairly sure Signal Box in Coalville was still going when I moved away (I went off to Uni in 85, came back briefly after graduation then moved away in '89) but closed sometime in the early/mid 90's from memory? I don't think I ever visited the Oadby shop, but now use the Anstey one fairly regularly since I moved back to Leics a few years ago- I've had quite a few secondhand loco bargains from them.

• 1 year later...
On 30/06/2018 at 18:34, dgilbert2 said:

Acme closed earlier this year :this:

What a great shop and two great owners. I'm pretty sure they still make and sell their kits, as their website is still up. Connoisseur Models, who is owned by Jim McGeown also was also once based in Anstey (although he and his family now live in Herefordshire) but whether he had anything to do with ACME, I have no clue.