Suburban Hymeks

Ian, thanks great info. Are those non-gangways behind that 24? I can't tell on my screen.

The first one isnt, but the second looks to be - I dont think it was unusual for those services to have mixes of stock. There are probably better pics around but I knew I could find that one quickly.

I think only the Kings Cross sets were painted blue?

Yup

Most non-gangwayed stock was withdrawn very quickly when DMUs came on the scene in the late 1950s and early 1960s, so would have barely seen out the first few years of the 1960s, if that.

The Ayr and Scarbro' examples I gave were from 1968 and 1966 respectively, but they would have been getting unusual by then.

Have I just found my prototype?

The brake looks to be but I'm not sure the next coach is. Anyone here with better eyes or good coach spotting eyes? I'm going by the roofs, which look to be similar - I'm sure the standard Mk1 roof was smooth.

Don't those Hymeks look lovely when they're all shiny! Not sure about the driver eyeing up the schoolboys though...

1961: Hymek D7002

This is something for you coach spotters too. There certainly seems to be a lot of hinges on the second coach.

D7009_Highbridge_3-3-62

During 1973 I worked selling newspapers at the rear entrance to Slough Station and during rail industrial dispute I saw a Hymek couple up to a 6 car Class 117 DMU set in the long gone Slough East sidings and them hauled them as a stopping service from Slough - Oxford! The reason for this working was there were no DMU drivers available at the time.

XF

• RMweb Gold

The brake looks to be but I'm not sure the next coach is. Anyone here with better eyes or good coach spotting eyes? I'm going by the roofs, which look to be similar - I'm sure the standard Mk1 roof was smooth.

Don't those Hymeks look lovely when they're all shiny! Not sure about the driver eyeing up the schoolboys though...

http://www.flickr.co...boy/3372627995/

This is something for you coach spotters too. There certainly seems to be a lot of hinges on the second coach.

http://www.flickr.co...cwp/2175422757/

Hymeks looked beautiful when new and freshly painted in their original livery - something the Design Team got as absolutely right as practical matters allowed and a smashing loco when working (provided the transmission didn't have a funny turn).

As for diesels on non-gangwayed coaches Kings Cross must have offered the largest variety of the lot for a few brief years with Brush, BRC&W, English Electric, and North British Type 2s all having a go at one time - must have been a Maintenance Foreman's nightmare!

As for diesels on non-gangwayed coaches Kings Cross must have offered the largest variety of the lot for a few brief years with Brush, BRC&W, English Electric, and North British Type 2s all having a go at one time - must have been a Maintenance Foreman's nightmare!

Add to that Class 24s, Class 20s and even the odd Deltic on a run-in turn, I believe. In contrast, the only DMUs for a long while were the Cravens units.

• RMweb Gold

http://www.flickr.co...boy/3372627995/

http://www.flickr.co...cwp/2175422757/

I don't think that first coach is non-corridor. It's just that you are looking at the compartment side of it.

To go back to an earlier suggestion of a Lima 33, I would not be at all surprised to find that a 33 + non-corridor stock would have been seen on trains to East Grinstead/Tunbridge Wells West. Mk1 Non-corridor stock was certainly used on some trains in steam days behind Fairburns and Standard 4MT.

I'd be quite surprised if the "Kenny Belle" did not have this combo at some time as well.

The Southern Region had the 64ft suburban coaches, painted green. I believe 1 set was a spare set used in the south east, but the rest were ordered for and used on Exeter-Exmouth services. They did get a few 57ft ones from the Western Region later, if I remember correctly, used on workmens' trains in the London area.

Can I amplify Tree's post above.

Exeter - Exmouth: 4 3-car sets 152-155 plus a quantity of loose seconds. The Exmouth branch went over to WR dmus in 1963 but initially at least there were not enough to run the full service. I don't know what happened to them when dmus took over completely. The set used in the south-east - someting tells me Oxted line - was 904 which had brake seconds 43382/3, seconds 46297/8 and composite 41064, plus two Bulleid corridor composites 5890/1 which must have looked a little odd.

Several long seconds went from the WR to the SR circa 1964, retaining lined maroon livery. A couple were observed by the ever vigilant RCTS at Kensington Olympia where they would have been in the Kenny Belle, the unadvertised train run to and from Clapham Junction for the benefit of workers at the Post Office Savings Bank. Several others were formed into Waterloo-Basingstoke peak hour sets. Whether any short underframed coaches reached the Southern is a good question: if they did they remained unobserved by the RCTS! THe WR condemned some that were reinstated and went to Kings Cross.

Chris

Archived