BRM June 2012

SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

We've just received the first printed copy of the June issue of BRM (on-sale May 10). We're over-the-moon with it and wanted to make you aware of a number of changes which we are sure you'll like.

Over the last few months we've received a load of comments (some good, many bad). We've listened to them ALL and feel the June issue is a huge step forward for BRM. To watch our 'Next Month in BRM' video click here:http://bit.ly/Km73HU

Here are the major changes you need to know about:

1. Bagging

There will be times that we can't get away from bagging. But, I can confirm that the June issue IS NOT BAGGED! We have listened to a mass of comments from potential readers that want to be able to assess content before they purchase the magazine. Now we're not bagged, it leaves you free to browse the magazine in the newsagents. Hopefully you'll like what you see and decide to buy BRM!

2. Advert placement

The June issue of BRM sees adverts at the front and back of the magazine again (apart from the odd single page advert if an editorial feature is an odd number of pages - this is rare though). Again, we've listened to the many comments from you all and have now put the editorial section in the middle. We hope you're happy with this change.

3. Paper quality

This issue sees BRM on a higher quality paper which I am sure you'll like. It's a whiter paper and has improved the image reproduction. Paper isn't cheap so I hope you understand that we're serious about investing in BRM and will continue to do so in the coming months (see point 6!).

4. New writers

RMweb is home to thousands of railway modelling experts so we'll be recruiting some of the best to write articles in BRM. The June issue sees the following make an appearance: Andy York, Michael Russell and Pete Greaves (Snitzl) all doing instructional articles as part of Practical BRM. We've also got Dave Renshaw's Waton layout feature (RMweb 2010 Challenge).

5. Variety

4 layouts, Modern image, steam, instruction, DCC, historical, products, OO, N, O: just a taste of what you'll find in the June issue.

6. July issue

You may have also seen a BIG announcement about the July issue:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55899-modelling-inspirations-whats-happening-next/

Hopefully this will show you that we do listen to your comments and we're working hard to improve BRM. The June issue is really strong, the July issue promises to be even better - a sign of what the future holds for British Railway Modelling and RMweb!

Thanks everyone - I really hope you enjoy the magazine.

Steve

Brand editor - BRM, RMweb, MRL & Shows

• RMweb Premium

Well done on the bagging, Steve. I used to buy BRM fairly regularly but haven't bought it at all since bagging became a regular feature. I'll look out the June issue next week.

David

• RMweb Premium

Glad for once to find someone saying they're listening then acting on whats been said instead of thinking 'we know best' and ignoring adverse comment.

I'll look forward to receiving my subscription copy of the June issue. I assume it'll still come 'bagged' for safe transmission in the post ?

Regards,

John

• Administrators

Hi John,

We do listen (even though I feel like I've been in a boxing ring with Milke Tyson sometimes! ha ha). Yes, the subscription copies will still arrive in the protective bag.

Thanks,

Steve

Yep, well done guys , not only for listening but for taking action. Too many organisations these days state they listen but then do nothing , and a certain large model railway manufacturer could benefit by taking a leaf out of your own book!

I'm an occasional buyer and will certainly give the June edition a browse. I know the subject of bags is banned on here, but the fact that you have recognised this is an issue should mean I can mention it. In my view you have suffered because of the inability to browse the magazine so to me this is the best move! Also seen the announcement about your July edition. Sounds like your going from strength to strength.

Well done!

Must admit ive never bought an issue :O , mind you ive only just started to build a railway layout :no: .

I will buy the June issue, it does look good from the video and it has got a few things in the issue that might interest me. :yes:

I am a little concerned by your title of "Brand Editor......RMWeb". We were assured that Andy remained in the driver's seat. I'm also not sure why a forum needs an "editor" in any case.

Not personal, and I shall look at the new BRM when I see it.

Ed

I am a little concerned by your title of "Brand Editor......RMWeb". We were assured that Andy remained in the driver's seat. I'm also not sure why a forum needs an "editor" in any case.

Steve's role is to bring together the 'brands' and ensure there is cross-fertilisation, coherence and even differentiators over the separately managed 'channels' of BRM, MRL and RMweb and it doesn't just say Brand Editor of RMweb. Yes; I still 'manage' this place exactly the same as before but because it's the publishing world the title editor is used rather than anything else so my job title is actually 'RMweb Editor' or sometimes referred to as' RMweb and Modelling Inspirations Editor'.

There will be times that we can't get away from bagging. But, I can confirm that the June issue IS NOT BAGGED! We have listened to a mass of comments from potential readers that want to be able to assess content before they purchase the magazine. Now we're not bagged, it leaves you free to browse the magazine in the newsagents. Hopefully you'll like what you see and decide to buy BRM!

Although at times there are so many people "assessing and browsing" other periodicals at my newsagent`s shelves; I know how it feel`s being a dwarf at the back of a street-parade crowd! :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

As someone who buys model railway magazines infrequently BRM never got a look in as I want to know what is in it before I buy. I usually go after specific things. This then will be of great benefit. Thank you

PS. I promise to browse, not to read!

I get the feeling it's just blokes who'll stand reading a selection of mags in Smiths for 30 minutes. I'll happily pay for the mags and get out of there to get away from some of 'em.

Mind you I don't like shopping much and I dislike people under my feet even more. ;)

I get the feeling it's just blokes who'll stand reading a selection of mags in Smiths for 30 minutes. I'll happily pay for the mags and get out of there to get away from some of 'em.

Mind you I don't like shopping much and I dislike people under my feet even more. ;)

Some of the (Ahem!) 'content'; that I`ve glimpsed being "assessed and browsed" in the libidinous line-up at my newsagent has made me feel quite blushed.......lots of 'models', but not a train amongst any of them! :laugh:

HI..

I'm happy to get it via the internet, saves me a bomb of cash doing so, now I can enjoy a great mag and not have to wait a month to 6 weeks before the news agent stocks it.

Keep up the great work.

Stuart-AU

To watch our 'Next Month in BRM' video click here:http://bit.ly/Km73HU

Do you have to be logged in to see that?

I've followed the link and I just get a large blank area underneath the text that says "Model Railways Live TV has layouts from British Railway Modelling DVDs and exclusive exhibitions coverage, plus model-making advice. There's also some of the best railway videos from Youtube - with more added regularly!", where I presume something should be.

Thanks, but something I've got enabled in Firefox must be blocking it - I've left it 10 minutes now and there's still nothing where I think the video should be.

Edit - Ghostery was blocking the Google AJAX Search API, which appeared to be causing the problem - I've now managed to get it working.

• RMweb Gold

Some of the (Ahem!) 'content'; that I`ve glimpsed being "assessed and browsed" in the libidinous line-up at my newsagent has made me feel quite blushed.......lots of 'models', but not a train amongst any of them! :laugh:

Yes all those plastic aeroplanes.................give me a nice pair of buffers anyday :angel:

I'll get me mac

regards

Richard

It always amuses me that 'bagging' is a problem, when I had my shop I would 'de-bag' a copy so customers could browse, then when it was the last one left, sold it on, customers were always grateful if it was the last one left.But there again - I was always helpful :sungum: .

In my opinion BRM has improved in leaps and bounds recently with the added bonus of being available in a digital version. The digital version now makes it possible for me to get the magazine as I always considered the overseas subscription costs were too high.

I used to buy the odd copy at the local newsagents for an exorbitant price and was sometimes very disappointed with the contents as there no way to browse before buying.

Well done BRM

Regards

Veronica.

Archived