BRM June 2012

SteveCole

There are plans relating to DVDs, more in due course. It's up to other magazines if they want to stick a DVD on every issue of a magazine; that doesn't mean all of the others have to or should do.

Thanks for the update Andy. I appreciate that one example does not necessarily set a precedent for all other to follow but it would eliminate the farcical (IMHO) issue of having to pay £1.99 (I know it's designated P&P of which a large chunk would presumably go to Royal Mail) for something that is claimed to be 'Free' when sticking it on the front of the mag really would make it free. After all, the mags have to be carted round the country, how much more would it cost to incluide the DVDs?

Is there any chance that the letters page could return to its previous place in the magazine, i.e. after the articles rather than 'lost' in the rear advert pages?

Personally, I preferred it when the adverts were clumped together at the front and back of magazine because when it came to storage I could simply remove all pages before the 'Platform' editorial and all pages after 'Diary Dates'. In the current format, I am going to have to store the whole magazine or weed the articles of interest to me and chuck the rest.

Regards,

Steve

There are plans relating to DVDs, more in due course. It's up to other magazines if they want to stick a DVD on every issue of a magazine; that doesn't mean all of the others have to or should do.

Yes but its a very competive market. After all the flack BRM gets it is a good idea :locomotive:

When's the digital edition out? I downloaded the iPad app this morning and it won't let me choose the latest number

I've just checked with the office David and it's on sale on the 12th. The date has to be given to Pocketmags etc some time ahead of publication but the subs and newsstand copies have gone out a few days ahead of what should have been the official publication date. It is being looked at to get better alignment though.

Yes but its a very competive market. After all the flack BRM gets it is a good idea :locomotive:

It is a competitive market but the team are actively developing the proposition through online content in addition to the printed page to add more value in other ways as well as forthcoming DVD issues. Future plans certainly go beyond just what you get in the printed mag.

As stated in my earlier post this was the first time I have bought the magazine, I dont buy magazines normally :nono: , but i thought why not, sat and read it cover to cover :O , I am very pleased with the content and reviews and the how to do's :locomotive: ,(but what do i know, I'm a newbie).

I will definitely be buying the July issue and taking it on holiday with me, it comes out just in time.

I had a quick flick through at Tesco's at lunchtime, an improvement on last month, although the diary dates have not put in Railex even though we paid for a gold entry!

When I look back at the early issues of BRM it was a much more dynamic mag, with much more to interest me somehow over the last few years it seems to have lost its way, although since BRM fist came on the scene we have seen the lauch of Hornby Mag and Model Rail, and I feel BRM does not seem to know where it's readership it is aimed at anymore.

David

• RMweb Premium

Over the last couple of years BRM is the modelling magazine I've bought least, but this issue seems like a real return to form. And not because I find the particular subjects appealing - it just seems meatier all round, a real read.

Posted Yesterday, 13:31, on the other thread:

My copy arrived yesterday but other things have meant delaying the quick flick until now.

Balanced content means different things to each of us but my personal view is that the June issue is a distinct improvement on May with a greater range of subject matter. Those blessed exclamation marks seem to have taken refuge in the article on Waton, having been largely banished from the remainder of the magazine. Hooray: we have calmed down, dear.

The placing of the ads is less obtrusive this time round but the sprinkling of odd pages between features of odd-numbered page length sounds like an excuse to me. The Toddler has managed to remain top of the heap for years by having the ads before and after the editorial content and I commend this approach to the publishing house: it was not broke so there was nothing to fix.

There were a few chuckles, probably not the intention of the production team. My favourite is on page 79 where "Neil Boyt examines the latest release from the firm's Chinese". Indeed? Stir-fried tram with sweet and sour criticism, perhaps?

The feature on cattle by rail is an example of what magazines can and should be doing - a concise overview of a type of traffic that was significant to the railway but is now just a memory. Even this feature is leavened with unintentional humour: the caption to one photo reads: " ... and serves to show just how accurate the Bachmann model is". Turn over and we find that the Bachmann model is 3mm too short! I thought it was 4mm but what's a millimetre between friends, eh? John Emerson's feature on modelling a cattle wagon is curious in that most of it is in "recipe" style, ie "Remove the upper door mouldings" etc etc but towards the end it is as an experiment is being written up, viz "T-iron extensions were added to the solebar ..." Why? Editors are supposed to correct lapses like this. Oh, I forgot, he is the editor.

This is where I get accused of creeping. Andy Y's article on how to improve Peco track is well written and equally well illustrated. Others please emulate. There is plenty of other good practical stuff this time. Quotes from RMweb members: hmmm, not sure about that. I might have to be more careful what I post in future. [About time too, chorused the Mods].

Chris

I was on the verge of dumping this and Hornby mag.

I took the radical step of trying to persevere for 12 months with a digital sub to both.

Cannot say I am rapt in digital, but hey, that's just me.

As for the current BRM, YES, it has improved enormously and at this rate, if it continues or even stays at this quality it looks like I will have to get the paper version.

As Downer said, it is a meatier issue, and Chris's comment re Andy's article is spot on.

Khris

• RMweb Gold

Well done on losing the bag, you sold me a copy for the first time in about 2 years! Paper quality and format much improved plus a couple of excellent articles got me convinced from a quick flick through.

The change to the cover looks much better too, can I suggest if you do have to bag copies that you duplicate the contents page on the back somehow as the photos tell much more of the articles than the headlines on the front cover and might sell a few more copies?

Some of the (Ahem!) 'content'; that I`ve glimpsed being "assessed and browsed" in the libidinous line-up at my newsagent has made me feel quite blushed.......lots of 'models', but not a train amongst any of them! :laugh:

I hope you intimidated such "men", Debs.....let's see; comb - overs, unkempt clothes, slightly smelly, have to rush home for tea with Mum.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I'm on a sub as I find it has a fair amount in it for me, wasn't overkeen on the May issue but June is better, there is no harm in trying something new, but if it doesn't work change it and that is what has happened.

Being on the Great Northern I just wish it had a bit more ECML in it...... :sungum:

Archived