RAF Kinloss MRC / Halfords Paint List - 2012 Version

• RMweb Premium

Rather than losing this list on the thread in which it has crept into the conversation, here it is in its own right.

Updated today, Star Wars Day 2012.

From my local Halfords supersized store with the full range of rattle cans (not the pokey “Metro ones) the old RAF Kinloss MRC list from way back when, versus what is now available is shown below. My comments are in (italics). Where there is no comment it does not signify approval – I cannot comment on all of the colours. Item no longer available is struck through

BR Loco Green :- Rover Brooklands Green - Ford Laurel Green (poor match)

BR Diesel Light Green Band :- Ford Highland Green

BR Coach Carmine :- Ford Rosso Red - Vauxhall Carmine Red (both too “fire engineâ€)

BR Coach Cream :- Vauxhall Gazelle Beige - Talbot Jonquil

BR Coach Cream (well worn) :- Peugeot Antelope Beige (too dark)

BR Blood/Custard (approx colours) :- Ford Venetian Red - Talbot Jonquil

BR Loco / Coach Maroon :- Rover Damask Red - Vauxhall Burgundy Red - Ford Burgundy Red - Triumph Damson

BR Diesel Blue :- VW Pargas Blue - Ford Fjord Blue (Fjord blue is a very light blue like LNER blue!)

BR Deltic Blue :- Lada Adriatic Blue

BR Steam Loco Blue :- Peugeot Royal Blue

BR Loco Yellow Warning Panel :- Vauxhall Mustard Yellow (too orange)

BR EMU Green :- Jaguar British Racing Green

BR Wagon Grey :- VW Eisgrauen KJ94

BR Wagon Bauxite :- Alfa Romeo Bruno DE37

CR Steam Loco :- Peugeot Royal Blue

CR Dark Blue :- Rover Midnight Blue

GNR (I) (Ireland) :- Ford Wedgwood Blue

GWR Brunswick Green :- Peugeot Conifer (too dark)

GWR/BR Green :- Leyland Brooklands Green - Land Rover Deep Bronze Green - Ford Laurel Green

GWR Cream :- Ford Sahara Beige (too yellow) - Ford Sierra Beige (too white)

GWR Brown (Chocolate) :- Triumph Maple - Talbot Peugeot Cafe Noir (very maroon)- Rover Russet Brown (way too light)

LNER Garter Blue :- VW Pargas Blue Ford Fjord Blue

LMS Coronation Blue :- Rover Pageant mid-blue

LBSC Umber :- Rover Mexican Brown

LBSCR Stroudley Ochre :- BMC Tan

LBSCR Umber :- Vauxhall Brazil Brown

LMS/Midland Crimson Lake :- Ford Damask Red - Rover Damask Red

LMS Coronation Blue :- Rover Pageant Mid-Blue - Peugeot Royal Blue (Not sure here but there is a huge difference between these two)

LNWR Coach Plum Lower Panels :- Daewoo Dark Red

LNWR Coach Bluey-White Upper Panels :- Daewoo Casablanca White

LYR Coach Upper Panels :- Plastikote Nut Brown (Not Halfords – try B&Q?)

LYR Coach Plum Lower Panels :- Daewoo Dark Red

MR/LMS/BR Red :- Rover Damask Red

MR Red :- Rover Damask Red - Vauxhall Burgundy Red - Ford Burgundy Red - Triumph Damson

NSR Maroon :- Vauxhall Gambia Red

NSR Madder Lake :- Ford Lacquer Red

NER Coach Red :- Vauxhall Gambia Red

Stanier Coronation Blue :- Peugeot Royal Blue

SR Malachite Green Green :- Ford Laurel Green (never!) - Daihatsu Tropical Green

SR Dark Olive Green :- Land Rover Coniston Green

SR EMU Green :- Jaguar British Racing Green

SDJR Blue :- Rover Midnight Blue

If I were a betting man, the next colours to fall off that list are the Lada (Deltic Blue) – Lada is stopping production, and the Daewoo colours – no imports of Daewoo into this country for many years now.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the custom mixing service which Halfords offer, I now have it on good authourity that it is not going to be pulled, and is still available.

Cans cost £14. You will need the paint code to get the colour mixed. There are multiple codes for each colour "shade/version" even from the same manufacturer - it's a minefield. It is nothing like the RAL system.

IMHO the cans which they fill have issues in terms of a lumpy / splattery pattern. Not fine and controlled enough for modelling work. I struggled to do a "respectability blow over" on a damaged corner of my van with these cans.

Or you could just go and buy the correctly matched rail colours from people like Precision or Pheonix ( other rail paint manufacturers are available etc etc etc etc )

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

There are others too, Maunsel olive is a land rover colour will try and find my list.

Halfords probably no longer stock it tho - there weren't many LR Greens.

• RMweb Premium

Whatever you do - NEVER take that list to your local independant motor factor who may stock the "big cans" (I think sold by Holts) which have no names for the colours - only numbers. This range proports to "one shade fits many" through the use of colour match technology. You look up a reference chart for the colour you need and it tells you that you need "Green 23" for example.

Most of the greens on the KMRC list are probably covered by one can of the Holts range (I think it is Can 23) :O . It is the paint equivalent of "jack of all trades but matches none".

I can imagine the heart ache of spending a hundred hours making a kit, including a dozen hours painting and lining and numbering it, only to stand it next to something "correct" at a club meet or a show etc. Do it right first time.

• RMweb Premium

BR Loco Yellow Warning Panel :- Vauxhall Mustard Yellow (too orange)

Warning yellow has been changed over the years and the later spec (post-1984 and maybe again since) is more "orange" than it used to be. However, I don't know how the Vauxhall yellow compares to current standards

Yellow pigments, like reds, are notorious for not photographing well, fading or coverage.

These three coaches should all be the same colour......

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Coaches/Departmental-coaching-stock/17526691_QGdF8w#!i=1334101130&k=bRFbKMk&lb=1&s=A

It's also worth taking into account the undercoat - red over white, yellow or grey can produce a different perception of the true colour. At the risk of repetition of a previous thread, lighting can have a serious effect on colour perception.

Getting back on-topic, the above list is weighted towards steam and earlier diesel & electric colours - is anyone brave enough to do a similar list for today's multicoloured privatisation liveries? :sungum:

Cheers,

Mick

Hi

I found a excellent match for SR Malachite green - Rover Java green.

It does need to be on a grey primer base as it appears too light on a white one.

Regards

Vin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Getting back on-topic, the above list is weighted towards steam and earlier diesel & electric colours - is anyone brave enough to do a similar list for today's multicoloured privatisation liveries? :sungum:

Cheers,

Mick

I'm not up to speed on modern liveries, apart from the fact that they seem to have lots of very bright colours. The opposite is so for paints at Halfords. Lots of staid and boring colours, unless you start using pearls and metallics.

For GNSR two colour coaches I have found Daewoo Ruby Red and Peugeot Antelope Beige just about as good as you can get. Polly Paints PRR Tuscan ( though matt) is a perfect touch up colour for the above red. If Daewoo are going to disappear I had better buy as many tins as I can find as I have another 5 coaches to do.

• RMweb Premium

Panic buying tins will probably alter their stocking.......... just as they ponder dropping a colour, the stock listers at Halfords Towers see a rush on a colour and keep it on the "keep in stock" book until the next revue...............

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can imagine the heart ache of spending a hundred hours making a kit, including a dozen hours painting and lining and numbering it, only to stand it next to something "correct" at a club meet or a show etc. Do it right first time.

Given the choice between a Railmatch of Phoenix aerosol that bungs up within seconds of using it, or a Halfords can that works down to the last drop but isn't quite the right colour, I know which I'd choose. Colours varied hugely on the real thing. Different depots made up the colours to their own variations of the official recipe and after a few months of use outside in the sun and rain colours changed again as did the number of coats of varnished used. Go to a preserved railway and you'll see most of their coaches in varrying shades of maroon, crimson, green etc. There is no such thing as an exact match unless you're modelling a specific vehicle at a specific moment in time.

Some freight colours:

BP Green - Ford modena Green

Tiphook dark blue - Rover Nautilus Blue

Tiphook white - Peugeot Arctic White

RMC Orange - VW Brilliant Orange

and:

Isle of Sodor blue (Thomas, Edward, Gordon) - Rover Pageant Mid Blue :paint:

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

The last time Il looked for a suitable Halfords match for anything Southern / BR(S) Green, I came away empty-handed.

The only close green colours on the shelves, were either metallic or pearl.

This prompted me to seek out other brands. The most comprehensive being Tetrosyl's CarPlan Colour Match. Their 'Car Colour Guide' (Catalogue) lists "over 5000 colour matches available". The Green section alone,has 8 1/2 pages, listing 550+ matches, ranging from Alfa Romeo code AR219 'Verde', 1971-1981 to Volkswagen code LZ6U "Smaragdgruen", 1990-1998, + Commercial colours + Signwriter's / Artists colours.

Granted, a fair proportion are pearl / metallic, but, even so, the majority are plain colours, all acrylic.

My local stockist also offers a custom mix 'n match aerosol service. Just bring your model / sample along, and the man 'n machine does the rest.

For a free Tetrosyl colour guide, write, e-mail or phone :-

Tetrosyl Ltd.,

Bevis Park,

Bury,

Lancashire,

England.

BL9 6RE

http://www.tetrosyl....ndex.cfm?page=1

Tel. +44 (0)161 764 5981

Usual disclaimer.

Regards, Ceptic.

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 1

The last time Il looked for a suitable Halfords match for anything Southern / BR(S) Green, I came away empty-handed.

The only colours on the shelves, were either metallic or pearl.

This prompted me to seek out other brands. The most comprehensive being Tetrosyl's Carplan Colour Match. Their 'Car Colour Guide' (Catalogue) lists "over 5000 colour matches available". The Green section alone,has 8 1/2 pages, listing 550+ matches, ranging from Alfa Romeo code AR219 'Verde', 1971-1981 to Volkswagen code LZ6U Smaragdgruen, 1990-1998, + Commercial colours + Signwriter's / Artists colours.

Granted, a fair proportion are pearl / metallic, but, even so, the majority are plain colours, all acrylic.

My local stockist also offers a custom mix 'n match service. Just bring your model / sample along, and the machine does the rest.

For a free Tetrosyl colur guide, write, or phone :-

Tetrosyl Ltd.,

Bury,

Lancashire,

England.

BL9 6RE

Tel. +44 (0)161 764 5981

Usual disclaimer.

Regards, Ceptic.

How come I am finding all these sources now, I have moved to Brazil. I can't even find a tin of primer here.

From my local Halfords supersized store with the full range of rattle cans (not the pokey “Metro ones) the old RAF Kinloss MRC list from way back when, versus what is now available is shown below. My comments are in (italics). Where there is no comment it does not signify approval – I cannot comment on all of the colours. Item no longer available is struck through

The colour match list never purported to relate solely to the Halfords of-the-shelf range - it gives the matches that can be obtained either from Halfords or other motor factors - often mixed-to-order.

I can only speak from my own experience, but I've had no problems with the Halfords custom mixing service.

I recently needed ICI blue / green, and was offered many colour swatches to go through.

Having found a near, but lighter, match, I was then able to inspect the mixed paint, and have progressively more black added until the colour was just right - at which point it was put into the aerosol can.

No problem with spraying, either.

Car factors will provide the same service, (look in the yellow pages), and they have an even broader range of swatches to choose from.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody know of a Halfords product that provides a match (or near match) for Executive light grey/fawn (the lower bodyside colour)? I was in Halfords earlier today and saw a few possible contenders (Lada Cream, Ford Sierra Beige, Rover 'insert catchy name here' beige) but if anyone has first hand experience of using these or similar I'd love to know.

well another one i found is my local B&Q and home hardware stores sell hobbie sprey cans , they where all the ones you would expect red,green but the yellow had sunshine yellow on the lid so i got one just to see how it was and compaired it to rail match sunshine yellow and i must say to my eye there was not much of a diffrence. but i have never noticed the ones you have mentioned on this fourm might be worth a look when im getting more primer :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

The only close green colours on the shelves, were either metallic or pearl.

This prompted me to seek out other brands. The most comprehensive being Tetrosyl's CarPlan Colour Match. Their 'Car Colour Guide' (Catalogue) lists "over 5000 colour matches available". The Green section alone,has 8 1/2 pages, listing 550+ matches, ranging from Alfa Romeo code AR219 'Verde', 1971-1981 to Volkswagen code LZ6U "Smaragdgruen", 1990-1998, + Commercial colours + Signwriter's / Artists colours.

See post ~5 above.

I tried using this stuff on a car repair once. Never again. Only close if you are myopic.

See post ~5 above.

I tried using this stuff on a car repair once. Never again. Only close if you are myopic.

M.I.B...

...I resent this,... your latest reply....

Are you saying / suggesting that I'm, or others are, Myopic* ??.....On what do you base your diagnosis on ??

In my posts, I was merely pointing out that there are other sources of car colours available in aerosol form.

I've used Tetrosyl's paints** to good effect, although, to gain a close colour match, some experimentation is needed. This, I'll grant you.

* Myopic = Short-sightedness...Some would say this occurs when one puts all their eggs in one basket ! (See above)

Or, maybe you mean Deuteranopic ?.. I.E.Those suffering from Colour-blindness ?. Although I don't suffer myself, I know of a few, who do.

**If anyone is interested ?, I'm in the course of preparing some pics., but these are on the back-burner, due to other irons in the fire

Edited by Ceptic

• RMweb Premium

Sadly my local motor factor which stocks this wonder paint is shut due to the bank holiday, otherwise I would have popped in and done a reverse calculation on what broad spectrum a single tin of this stuff "covers". Suffice to say that it isn't used by discerning car enthusiasts who want an exact match for a certain colour. That should quantify the "close-ness" of the match or not as the case is.

And before you jump on your high horse - read the thread title and the reason for the title - this thread was started to discuss/show how out of date the Halfords paint references were, which has already been proven ie the much praised RAF Kinloss MRC list is no longer fully available from Halfords in their "off the shelf range".

This thread was never intended to update the "off the shelf car paint" list - if someone wants to do that, good luck to them. Personally I use Pheonix in rattle cans and have no problems with them.

I have worked with paint for long enough to know that it fades, and certain colours fade worse than others, especially those containing cyanide compounds (red paints), and that certain depots hand mixed their paints in their own special way and that paint batches are never exactly the same, and greens look different in photos and early colour photo developing favoured the blue/green spectrum, (add your favourite excuse here) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

but an incorrect colour will always be an incorrect colour.

If you can't admit that, then you are short sighted.

• 2 months later...

I have a question regarding Halford primers and I decided to post it here rather than start a new thread.

When priming plastic models, is it necessary to use the special plastic primer or will the normal primer suffice?

Guest jim s-w

Hi Adrian,

I read in another thread a few months ago that Peugeot Antelope Beige was another contender.

HTH,

Mark

Thats what i use

HTH

JIM