ARCADIA MODELS SHAW, OLDHAM

Stevelewis

I have dealt with Arcadia for many years ( I have never met Tim, the owner but do it by mail order) I used to but a fair bit of Large scale equipment from him but these days it is 00.

Anyway to get to the point of this...... on Wednesday I ordered a couple of locos from him, these arrived promptly on Thursday.

I gave them both a test, one was fine but the other had an obvious fault! Whilst the sound unit worked OK running qualities were poor and the lighting did not work correctly, so a quick chat with Tim that afternoon resulted in my posting the loco back and him promising to send an alternative loco,

The replacement arrived today, so he had posted it to me before the faulty one was received back, this to me is excellent customer service and support..

I find that if I am looking to buy something it is always worth giving Arcadia a ring, quite often he has items in stock which others dont and the prices are competitive.

• Like 8

Regular customer myself ,although I dont use mail order service . Very friendly shop with a cup of tea or coffee and the odd biscuit offered with every visit . Tim has extensive stocks in most scales, Well worth a visit ,

phil

Seconded!

What is even more impressive is he's now his main helper, down! It's just him, his good lady sometimes and help on a Saturday so I really think he is absolutely first class in every way.

And, as Phil says, you always get a cuppa and a warm greeting when you go in - unlike a certain mail order emporium down the road some 30 miles!

John E.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I paid a visit here yesterday, because the company I was working for wasn't expecting me back to base so early, and I didn't want to disappoint them.

I've been here lots of times before, and true to form I was offered a cup of tea within less than five minutes through the door! Always a very extensive range of rolling stock and locomotives. I also enjoy looking at the continental locos to see the exquisite level of detail modellers in Europe can get, though they certainly do pay for it.

Good selection of secondhand stuff at very good prices. I got a weathered Bachmann class 20, boxed, for £30. Tim even tests it to show you all is well mechanically without having to be asked.

Parking can be tricky, but I tend to try my luck in Glebe street, which is a little past the shop on the opposite side by the former Warburtons bakery. I was able to park a 44ton behemoth down there, though turning it around was a little tricky.

• Like 4

No wonder parking is tricky for you, Jenny!!!

For people in cars, there is a small, often quite full car park just by the junction but if that's full, I often park around the back street - 'tis only a very short walk to the shop!

The weathered 20 may well have been one of mine, I took a handful in on Wednesday - in order to get one of those lovely Continental models!

Cheers,

John E.

No wonder parking is tricky for you, Jenny!!!

For people in cars, there is a small, often quite full car park just by the junction but if that's full, I often park around the back street - 'tis only a very short walk to the shop!

The weathered 20 may well have been one of mine, I took a handful in on Wednesday - in order to get one of those lovely Continental models!

Cheers,

John E.

It was 20058 (box code 32-025A), and was one of six that had been traded in apparently. Some-one else in the shop at the same time had bagged one of the others, and he let me have his couplings as he was going to be fitting Kadees to his. The loco runs sweetly and has been given a good home on Trinity Road where it joins two other Bachmann 20s that I bought when Bachmann first brought out the model.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Parking can be tricky, but I tend to try my luck in Glebe street, which is a little past the shop on the opposite side by the former Warburtons bakery. I was able to park a 44ton behemoth down there, though turning it around was a little tricky.

I was just thinking that I've never had a problem parking there - that is until I read the 44 tonnes of probem!

(It's not just tea and coffer thats freely offered - my car sprang a radiater leak and 2 kettles full of water helped me limp home.)

Kev.

I agree with comments here, always made to feel welcome and Tim is a real gent.

Lots of bargains to be had and it is always great to chat over a 'brew' with the numerous RMWebbers that appear at Arcadia

Cheers

Lee

(A very, very happy customer)

I think its fair to say that Tim has filled a gap in the market in the North Manchester area if not the Greater Manchester / Lancs area that has been there since Norman Wissenden sold up. Except Tim does it at competetive prices instead of the top dollar Norman used to charge (The infamous Saddleworth Surcharge). Its a great shop run by a top bloke who actually knows his onions when it comes to models.

Parking wise if the little car park by Hedley Jacksons is full up then any of the side streets can be used and if you go down Glebe Street theres a massive car park area anyway -  just a few minutes walk away.

• Like 2

Lots of bargains to be had and it is always great to chat over a 'brew' with the numerous RMWebbers that appear at Arcadia

So does anyone on here admit to be one of the three people shooting the breeze with Tim when the scruffy little oink that is me wandered in on Friday?

Good to hear Arcadia is still going and with the usual level of service, coffee etc, also good to hear he's now doing secondhand as well.  I started using Arcadia back in 2001 when modelling European, SNCF, and Tim was always a real Gent.  I will make the effort to go back next time I'm in the north west.  

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I certainly agree, Arcadia/Tim is an excellent model railway shop. I first went there years ago when building a G Scale layout and am happy to travel a long way to get there.

You can also get there by Metrolink, its about 5 minutes walk from Shaw station.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Guest Digital

Yesterday I visited Arcadia Models for the first time recommended by a fellow RMWEB member.

The owner Tim was very welcoming and made me a nice welcome cup of tea.

The shop is incredible and has a large stock of many items. Nothing was to much trouble for Tim

as he dealt with many customers during my visit. I managed to pick up several hard to find  items while there

all at excellent prices.

My thanks to Tim for his excellent service and making me so welcome.

John

I've been a regular there for a long time (and spent a fortune there) but noticed on friday that his shelves of British "00" are looking thinner. Tim admits that this is the case which is due to the shortage of supplies coming through. 

But having said that it is still worth paying him a visit.

Also remember that if its not in stock but available he will get it for you. Anything I want from Gaugemaster  I get from Tim rather than order direct, because I take the view 'use you local shops or lose them'.

Edited by 10000

• 1 month later...

Should anyone  be  looking  for   a  Bachmann  Wainwright  C Class  in  GREEN  SECR livery  ARCADIA  have  a  small number in  stock  as  of  today  21/7/14  I  have  just  bought  one £96.00

Best to phone   01706882900

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I visited Arcadia for the first time today following favourable reports from site members.

Tim, his assistant and the customers very friendly and the stock selection was good, as was the tea.

Quite a few new items including the Hornby 21T Hoppers and BR version of the LMS Horsebox. Hornby stock seems to be coming through in a rush now. 

Thanks Tim, well worth the trip. I think I blew this month's budget in one go. Hope to be back in the future.

Eric

All the above !

I used them for the first time this week, ordered Thursday arrived in deepest ? Devon first thing Friday morning, well packed and exactly what I wanted. His wife was extremely helpful on the telephone and friendly, suggesting if I ever called in there would be a "brew" for me.

Can't speak highly enough for them and their friendly attitude, very satisfied in Devon.

Happy modelling everyone :)

I have been going to Arcadia now for a number of years.  It is an excellent model shop and they always seem to have what you want, and their prices are very competitive too.

Tim is very helpful and an exceptionally knowledgeable person. Both Tim and Karen are very welcoming and you always get offered a cup of tea or coffee when you visit. 

As far as I am concerned it is the best model shop in the Manchester area.   

Geoff