For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

The 2013 SWAG Module Project

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Righto chaps, after a marvellous day at Taunton, it would seem that there is a modicum of feeling that we ought to do it all again next April.

There are several proposals for how we organise the layout next year :

1) do exaclty the same again, using the same Fiddle Yards, but with other members buildings modules

2) do a roundy-roundy ( using the current fiddle yards but altered )

3) do a roundy-roundy using a new simple set of loops on each line type fiddle yard, with all four corners, both ends and the whole of the other side as modules

4) do a figure of eight....

5) do something else

Now, it's not for me to say if or how Tigger & Sidecar Racer should alter their fiddle yards - Tigger I know intends to use his for another layout.

Nor is it only my decision as to what format the module layout should take.

I will say that the room at Staplegrove was not filled, but extending the length by much (eg to add further corner and space for viewing would probably mean nothing else would fit in the room. Ideas about passing the tracks through the hatches into kitchen have been raised but rejected on being impractical.

(As has the idea of putting all the modules in rucksacks and walking around all day !!)

So, please can we have some input from you all, whether you intend to visit, make a module or just voice an opinion - what should we do ?

• RMweb Gold

A figure of eight could be very impressive but I think would present the possibiity probablity of difficulties with levels and 'fit' when it comes to join it together - so perhaps a bridge too far? A roundy would be great fun but it will take up more space which the cap'n might not be happy to grant to us? The other alternative - which might be difficult to fit for width(?) - is a 'double U' arrangement but I suspect it would need over tight curves at the ends.

PS - forgot - we could also think about a two level idea perhaps (I have a fair bit of space at the back of the tunnel module where I could add a second line, or pair, several inches higher than the existing)? Oh, and both levels need not be in the 'scenic area' on every module.

• RMweb Gold

If a "roundy roundy" setup is possible, the fiddle yard(s) could probably be a lot simpler with less pointwork - eg a traverser - which would save on length & allow more scenic area. Or even have "junction" modules, with the fiddle yard on an "inner" line & scenic modules "outside"....

• If a "roundy roundy" setup is possible, the fiddle yard(s) could probably be a lot simpler with less pointwork - eg a traverser - which would save on length & allow more scenic area. Or even have "junction" modules, with the fiddle yard on an "inner" line & scenic modules "outside"....

That is certainly a a way ahead, but quite a lot of time and expence went in to the design amd build of the fiddle yards so to not use them or alter them in such a major way would be a shame.

Maybe we could just build a "mini module" with two points that would then let us have "roundy roundy" setup or end to end when ever we wish.

post-7934-0-11333500-1336199858_thumb.jpg

The "mini module" is in gray. It would only need to be about 9" long

I think the roundy roundy idea is a great one :locomotive:

I will be making my fiddle yard scenic so as to blend in more

• RMweb Premium

I like Tiggers idea , as long as he can tell me how the wiring needs to be adjusted for it to work .

My other though was along the lines of getting the viewing area on the inside of the modules , if

we retain the U shape , this would mean we would need to have the fiddle yards on the opposite sides

of the room with the operators on the outside , this would give the chance to move things out nearer

the walls and put the corners by the wall , but this would mean new corners with the tracks to the inside too .

Down side to this is clearance for the fire doors and that b****dy piano .

Or a single simpified fiddle yard as per most show layouts , eg , one yard at 10 ft length as opposed

to two 8 ft ones then four corners and add the other modules .

Right my hats in , discuss . :mail:

• RMweb Gold

Picking up from the above suggestions (various) I could see this as a possible emerging idea -

1. Roundy

2. Single fiddle yard but with a cassette siding (or possibly two - i.e. one for each line) in addition to at least one loop on each through line. This would allow ready swapping of trains with reduced handling.

3. Possibly add a second level (above or below?) for part of the circuit?

But what overall dimensions?

• RMweb Gold

I think we're probably stuck with viewers on the outside, but I'm definitely warming to Tigger's idea of a short points section to create a FY with loops.

The additional problem with a roundy is to ensure we have enough modules, of the right length, to complete the circle. We may need to have some sections of plain track and some temporary supports to make up the difference.

Unless someone can create a flexible length module...

• RMweb Gold

Unless someone can create a flexible length module...

Or take along timber, tools, track etc and make one on the day :O

But on a more practical note perhaps it would be an idea to first see how big it could be and thus get an idea of what is needed to fit the available space?

• RMweb Gold

My impressions during last Sunday were that the modular layout was a lot of fun, inifinitely capable of expansion and development, but one drawback was that loco-hauled trains had to achieve the run-round via crane shunting. I saw Mike (Stationmaster) doing this using a loco-lift to preserve his grubby new investment but, as others have suggested, reducing any manual handling of increasingly delicate and detailed locos would seem to be a major objective.

The idea of an upper level (8" above datum?) had already occurred to me for my proposed module, but potentially adds further complications in packing and alignment. It would help if we could all use the same ruler ;) .

Anyway, I'm willing to commit to a module for 2013 and have been considering a few ideas. One question I would put out for discussion is to ask whether we all do our own thing (obviously to SWAG guidelines) or whether some of us might work to a similar theme, to be decided?

The "mini module" is in gray. It would only need to be about 9" long

If you make it a bit longer it would allow for longer trains to be run.

I will be making my fiddle yard scenic so as to blend in more

Hmmm ... Parsnip Fields perhaps?

... Or we could regauge everything to 7mm ;)

I must admit I could be tempted as i was not only impressed with the idea in the flesh as it were but i also felt that the standard of modelling was not beyond my reach.

I also like Mike's idea of extra tracks but in my case i intend to make a diorama of my breakdown train recovering a wreck with sound and smoke! Thus I am not intending for my extra tracks to be running lines.

Perhaps I could be pointed in the direction of the module dimensions and i will cogitate on feasibility.

I would be delighted to commit myself to the manufacture of a suitable module (up to 4ft, or 48inches, or 1200mm long), in quality timber (I have come to prefer commercial grade birch ply), with some legs. However, to make sure it would be of value, I would depend on the project leader giving me the dimensions, and any track data.

I am now doubly sorry that I missed the 2012 meeting, and will aim to do better next year.

PB

• RMweb Gold

I would be delighted to commit myself to the manufacture of a suitable module (up to 4ft, or 48inches, or 1200mm long), in quality timber (I have come to prefer commercial grade birch ply), with some legs.

Legs? Luxury. Those last weekend rested on tables, with vertical alignment achieved with the judicious and skilled use of cardboard packing. I think it was the equivalent of resilient track mountings on the prototype...

• RMweb Gold

I would be delighted to commit myself to the manufacture of a suitable module (up to 4ft, or 48inches, or 1200mm long), in quality timber (I have come to prefer commercial grade birch ply), with some legs. However, to make sure it would be of value, I would depend on the project leader giving me the dimensions, and any track data.

I am now doubly sorry that I missed the 2012 meeting, and will aim to do better next year.

PB

Hi Peter and Welcome Aboard !

As Tigger referenced a couple of posts ago, the module standards are on here in a pdf format for you to download, but the main dimensions are 2" track centres, 4" from centre of front track to the front of the module and 4" from table to top of rail (which is Code 100).

As Trevor has said, the modules don't actually need legs, as they all rest on tables.

Please ask any questions if you need further clarification on the standards, or anything else.

Cheers

Stu

---

Tigger has suggested we build modules to a theme, rather than completely freelance. Do we have any strong views either way ?

• RMweb Gold

Tigger has suggested we build modules to a theme, rather than completely freelance. Do we have any strong views either way ?

I think it's more fun the way we did it to be honest - it's the best way to get some original thought whereas a theme would start to restrict folk in my view.

P'raps in the future the tracks should be a pasty height above the table. No room for confusion there.

Round roundy sounds like fun, how about ditching the fiddle yard all together and just producing casettes 4in high and xfeet long? Just have to make sure one is present before running trains into the yard

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys, some good ideas here, keep 'em coming!

Just to clarify things now, before thoughts of World Domination get out of hand and we are reduced to sending Mr Chamberlain to Cornwall to negotiate with Ze Stubbenmeisterfuhrer, the room available at Staplegrove is the small hall...

However, if it is possible to move the piano back to the main hall (where it has been every previous year), I will try to arrange that in advance of the 2013 Members Day.

A couple of other ideas:

- with a figure of eight, surely a height differential of four inches max is all you need, to pass one line under or over the other?

- how about a quadrupled continuous run?

- how about a continuous run that is partially quadruple, but two tracks diverge and re-join later (perhaps via the figure of eight?!)

- If (and only if!!) the weather is good, you could have some Emergency Deputy Reserve Modules (maybe non-scenic) and extend a bit into the car park via the Fire Doors?

- what about a spiral to change heights?

Finally, I noticed that someone mentioned some kind of loop line via the kitchen. This looks like a Very Cunning Plan to ensure a continuous supply of pasties, and it won't be allowed, I tell you!! (not if you want any lunch, that is! ;) :P )

Carry on!

Put me down as a definite for a module, either to a theme or free range, I've no preference. I like the idea of a figure of eight. If there are concerns about final alignment on the day, I can come down in my van, fully equiped with tools and suitable timber etc to quickly knock something up.

• RMweb Gold

However, if it is possible to move the piano back to the main hall (where it has been every previous year), I will try to arrange that in advance of the 2013 Members Day.

If that's not possible it would make one hell of a scenic break if turned at right angles to the layout. Unfortunately, they'd probably notice a four-track width hole in it...

- If (and only if!!) the weather is good, you could have some Emergency Deputy Reserve Modules (maybe non-scenic) and extend a bit into the car park via the Fire Doors?

If the weather is good? The man's an eternal optimist. Based on this year, we'd be better off having a pond for radio-controlled boats ;) .

All this stuff about bi-level continuous run with figure of eight is all very well, but it's not going to do Stu's blood pressure any good, based on the observations of putting a single level 'U' together last week. Creative genius and Chief Civil Engineer might be asking a bit much...

• RMweb Premium

One question from me , are we trying to be to ambitious here ?

Split levels and figure eight's is a very nice idea but it would mean some very clever

carpentary skills from some people , certainly more than I'm capable of , and it could

cause us problems on the day in setting up , this years set up was okay , but if we do get

several more modules of various sizes and shapes we might spend a lot of time juggling

positions etc for a good fit , unless there are standard sizes for each one and there can be

a pre-determined plan for positioning it could cause some embarrasments if when the doors

open we are still assembling parts. It's unlikely that we all turn up at the same time , it only needs

for someone to get delayed in traffic who has a critical piece of the jigsaw and the plan is thrown

into dis-array .

I do like the roundy round idea a lot , but I feel it needs to be kept as easy as possible to allow

for the various carpentary skill levels ( meaning me ) of builders .

Trevor has a good point about trying to reduce stock handling , but even if we went to a fiddle

yard format some thought needs to be given as to how many roads , length of same etc , I think

there would still be some manual handling required if several people want to bring stock to run ,

again this is good as we get a nice variety on show .

For now I will nominate Stu and Mike ( Tigger ) to liase and decide how we continue and in what

format , I will most definately be involved but I feel we need a solid plan to work to and it needs a

smaller commitee to organise this .

Just my thoughts , but my support is there .

• RMweb Gold

As I've just posted on another thread I wonder if a dumbell (with or without a looped figure eight) might be a way of tackling it? The ends are the trickiest bit of course so I suggest that it might be best for a single person to do each end (as Stu did this year) in order to at least make sure that part goes together ok. Thoughts?

Archived