For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

The 2013 SWAG Module Project

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Mike - the same as before would be better than nothing at all!

How about some very temporary corner pieces just made from corrugated cardboard, glued together with PVA, just for the Members Day?

I've seen that sort of thing work before, very well, in fact!

• RMweb Gold

I've still got one corner unit, a second from cardboard would be easy to do, but we need to know if Mike & Mike ( Tigger & Sidecar Racer) have still got the fiddle yards.

What format we use very much depends on them.

If we agree to do the modules again, we need to get organised fairly soon.

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Just found this as for some reason my notifications did'nt throw it up .

I still have the bit's from last year in the same state , so no problem to

bring them along again , Not sure what Tigger Mike is doing , he's not been

on line here since 24th Sept .

I will drop him an e-mail and ask about his situation .

• RMweb Gold

Hi Everyone,

Been meaning to have a look at this for ages but keep forgetting to click on the banner before going off on other threads. Taunton is not far from here and I would like to take part.

I have quite a bit of experience with FFMF (French Model Railway Federation) modules and yours are to very similar standards (despite the use of pouces rather than millimetres).

Others on the thread have made very good points. A "roundy-roundy" is quite difficult to achieve unless all modules are of the same length. Dog-bone is good operationally but the loop boards (raquettes) are either too big to transport (one-piece) or a so-and-so to build.

I think that the suggestion of a roundy-roundy with fiddle-yard in the middle is the best option but it will need some real coordination to make sure it all fits together.

If anyone worried about cost of pointwork, I have some Peco Code 100 somewhere (old but unused) which I would be happy to donate to the cause as I get soo much enjoyment from RMWeb.

• RMweb Gold

Joseph,

You are more than welcome to join in !!

I think that the layout next year will be a repeat of the format from this year, that being a simple end-to-end (Fiddle Yard to Fiddle Yard), though this really depends upon the two gents who made the FYs for this year's project.

Once (if) we get this agreed, there are several forum members who I will be re-contacting to get commitment for producing and bringing a module - have no doubt you too will be included in this badgering !

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

OK Chaps,

State of play as I see it....

We have already :

2 Fiddle yards, each with a matching module

1 Stationmaster module

1 Stubby47 corner module

We have offers of modules from :

Trevellan

dwhite4dcc

Peter Bedding

Ramblin Rich (possibly)

Joseph_Pestell

We need :

1 corner module

1 end module

1, 2 or 3 side modules

The addition of 3 more side modules will extend the layout to it's maximum size, given the space/safety requirements.

So, what's needed now is a reasonably firm commitment from additional members to make a module.

As before, there is absolutely no limit on the theme for your module, as long as the overall end and track dimensions match the specifications.

Over to you !!

• RMweb Gold

Stu, would BCB count as 1 or 2 modules?

Having seen Damian getting into as many photos as possible in the BRM article, from what I could see of the baseboards BCB looks a tad over-engineered for a module !

But, if it fits our stringent standards, I guess you could bring it -Tim is always short of tables near the kitchen.

• RMweb Gold

How is this for an idea ?

We'd need a few modules built to different track position standards, but in reality nothing much different to the FY end modules Mike & Mike made.

post-7025-0-51989900-1336342506.gif

Does it need to be that complicated? With the two standard tracks well to the front of each module, plenty of room for a backscene and 6-track FY within a 2' wide baseboard.

• RMweb Gold

I know the dimensions for the corner module were somewhere on this thread. But I can't find them!

Want to kick off the corner module asap as that is more important to the success of the whole venture (and I am planning much less detail on it than the 4' straight module).

• RMweb Gold

Does it need to be that complicated? With the two standard tracks well to the front of each module, plenty of room for a backscene and 6-track FY within a 2' wide baseboard.

Hi Joseph,

I think that quote is from an earlier discussion we were having about possible alternatives, but as we've gone for a repeat of this year's format then the other ideas are shelved until a future version.

Thanks for offering to make both a corner and a straight module, hopefully you have enough details to get started.

Stu

• 2 months later...

In a rash moment, I promised a module, but fings have gone well.

post-489-0-61266000-1356888508.jpg

post-489-0-90636400-1356888565_thumb.jpg

The track is in position, with droppers fixed. Two pairs of colour-code wire (16 strand) are ready for fitment, to join track to rear-mounted choc-block. I need to make the side "track bridges". Our team leader asked for one end only, I shall make sufficient for both ends, and a couple of spare looms of connector wire.

And then a test run!!

PB

• RMweb Gold

Peter,

As Bill said, that looks great.

Thanks for making both sets of bridges, extra ones are always useful, and for the offer of the connecting looms (although they weren't used last year, again it's handy to have  some backup ).

Looking forward to seeing how you scenic the module.

Stu

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm afraid life has got in the way of my planned involvement in the Taunton Members' Day this year. Work commitments and a recent decision to re-locate in 2013 mean I will not be able to attend in April. Having started work on my module I am very disappointed, to say the least, because I greatly enjoyed the 2012 event. I apologise if this causes any headaches for Stu.

The only upside is that I'll be in pole position for 2014...

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the early warning Trevor.

I've put my module on hold whilst working on the BCB buildings, but should be back in full nag mode after the middle of Feb.

There is still room for anyone else to get involved, don't be shy !!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the early warning Trevor.

I've put my module on hold whilst working on the BCB buildings, but should be back in full nag mode after the middle of Feb.

There is still room for anyone else to get involved, don't be shy !!

Stu, I've a couple of EM modules in my modelling room at the moment...any use? 

Archived