For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

The 2013 SWAG Module Project

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Rich,

Those outside two modules are just to bring the track back to the 4" from the front standard, like the two scenic modules from Mike & Mike. The modules in front of the FY would need to have tracks nearer the back than standard to ease the curves on the two junction boards.

Stu

Perfectly clear - and well thought out! :D It would need less space inside than my "central aisle" idea too.

EDIT - if there isn't enough space lengthwise to incorporate the above idea, it might work to have the junction boards double up as corner boards...?

• RMweb Gold

Have also just seen Rich's post with diagram.

To have curves like that would mean they would have to be really tight, far more so than the 32" / 34" I used on the two corners. Plus the wiring wold be quite complex to ensure no shorts occurred.

• RMweb Premium

How is this for an idea ?

We'd need a few modules built to different track position standards, but in reality nothing much different to the FY end modules Mike & Mike made.

post-7025-0-51989900-1336342506.gif

Thats the idea that I was going to try and sketch out , well done Stu , you've made a much better job

of it than I would have managed . :mail:

• RMweb Gold

I see we have maybe four new builders showing interest , Dave White , Bill Jones , Trevellan and

Ramblin Rich , it would be nice it they would come back with their thoughts , then they wont feel we

are forcing things on them...

I've probably said far too much already as a non-SWAGger. Anyway, my current thinking is to produce a 48 x 18" module with straight track (to the stipulated spacing) which can double up as a photo-diorama. My biggest problem currently is space, hence the modest dimensions. All being well I plan to attend next April and if it is deemed appropriate for me to contribute to the modular layout, fine. If not, I won't sulk. Besides, April 2013 is presently some way off and a lot can happen between now and then!

• RMweb Gold

Greetings, Modulators!

Having spoken with the fine Mr York, we have a 'googly' to throw at you now.

Would your understandable slight frustrations at the emerging limitations on space at Staplegrove be assuaged somewhat, if he were to offer the Modulification Project some room at the 2013 Stafford main Members Day? There is more space up there, and it might also give others from other areas the chance to participate (whilst being further from the Noble Realm, to be sure).

But fear not, the Small Hall at Staplegrove is still reserved for Modularisation in April 2013 as well...

• RMweb Gold

Greetings, Modulators!

Having spoken with the fine Mr York, we have a 'googly' to throw at you now.

Would your understandable slight frustrations at the emerging limitations on space at Staplegrove be assuaged somewhat, if he were to offer the Modulification Project some room at the 2013 Stafford main Members Day? There is more space up there, and it might also give others from other areas the chance to participate (whilst being further from the Noble Realm, to be sure).

Now there's a nice offer chaps - I can manage a 4ftx2ft plus a 3ftx2ft (and it wouldn't be a tunnel :O ) in my car if it's still with me by then (I hope it is - nice motor but it does use a fair bit of diesel on local workings).

• RMweb Gold

Dear Captain Parsnip,

The goodley Mr York has indeed suggested a most wonderous and generous, nay even to say , stupendulous offer of allowing such a motley collection of modelling adventures grace the hallowed floors of the Stafford 2013 extravaganza.

However, for me, personally, and on my own, I would not be able to either attend such an event nor therefore should I organise such a project.

I offer the floor to one who will take up this mantle and run with it, for the honour of RMweb and all who sail in her.

Der Swagmodulemeister.

• RMweb Gold

Will it fit? That's going to be rather long unless you have some very sharp radii on the curves?? What I think might not be needed are the two boards immediately adjacent to the start of curve boards at each end.

Mike, you are probably correct, they are two units we don't need.

I've probably said far too much already as a non-SWAGger. Anyway, my current thinking is to produce a 48 x 18" module with straight track (to the stipulated spacing) which can double up as a photo-diorama. My biggest problem currently is space, hence the modest dimensions. All being well I plan to attend next April and if it is deemed appropriate for me to contribute to the modular layout, fine. If not, I won't sulk. Besides, April 2013 is presently some way off and a lot can happen between now and then!

Trevor - you are more than welcome to make a module, and 4ft is a reasonable size.

• RMweb Gold

Trevor - you are more than welcome to make a module, and 4ft is a reasonable size.

And Hertfordshire is much closer to Stafford than is Cornwall - nudge, nudge, wink, wink. (and I shall, as previously stated, probably be going to Stafford anyway - it all depends on the 'sidings' board folk I suspect).

I have worked ourt that to get Stu's idea in it will need to be about 12 feet in length. Sorry Stu :blush:

The plan below will enable us to use Sidecar Racers and my modules, the total length of this yard is 9 feet. This will give us a usable siding length of 6 feet (we could make it shorter if we wished)

With this we could be making up trains from both sides without leaning across the running lines and at no point do trains have to cross apposing lines. Also cross overs are expencive

Let me know what you think

post-7934-0-51813900-1336409075_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I have worked ourt that to get Stu's idea in it will need to be about 12 feet in length. Sorry Stu :blush:

The plan below will enable us to use Sidecar Racers and my modules, the total length of this yard is 9 feet. This will give us a usable siding length of 6 feet (we could make it shorter if we wished)

With this we could be making up trains from both sides without leaning across the running lines and at no point do trains have to cross apposing lines. Also cross overs are expencive

post-7934-0-51813900-1336409075_thumb.jpg

It looks as if it answers my concerns about lack of handling space and, to some extent, siding/train capacity and it is certainly ok for length (your regal special was, I think, the longest train at taunton so if that fits all will be well on that score).

The point about crossing opposing lines is well made - it could be overcome with yet more electronic gizmo-ification but it would still be a conflict issue and potential operational nuisance (although it would look good).

It looks as if it answers my concerns about lack of handling space and, to some extent, siding/train capacity and it is certainly ok for length (your regal special was, I think, the longest train at taunton so if that fits all will be well on that score).

I am a bit biased I would like to run a longer royal train :locomotive:

The point about crossing opposing lines is well made - it could be overcome with yet more electronic gizmo-ification but it would still be a conflict issue and potential operational nuisance (although it would look good).

If people want to go down the cross over route the "electronic gizmo-ification" (I do love the use of technical terms :jester: ) It would not be a problem to work out :paint:

• RMweb Gold

Tigger, if you and Mike are happy to change your Fiddle Yards as you've shown, then it looks like a plan.

All we need is volunteers to make the corner units as well as the straight ones and we're sorted.

• RMweb Premium

Total rubbish . :jester:

No seriously , that will be a change for me , it looks like a good plan , how do you want to split the build ?

At least wireing should be a bit easier this time with no crossovers to worry about .

Send more info as to sizes and track positions Mike , I dont have any drawing type software and if I did

I doubt I could work out how to use it .

• RMweb Premium

I can make as many corner base boards, with track, as required. Just need to know dimensions etc. (I would still want to build a module of my own as ideas are forming.

Better try and grab the Stubmiesters attention if you can , he will let you know the score .

• RMweb Gold

I can make as many corner base boards, with track, as required. Just need to know dimensions etc. (I would still want to build a module of my own as ideas are forming.

Better try and grab the Stubmiesters attention if you can , he will let you know the score .

Wow Bill, that is very generous !! (see below ).

Ok, chaps, I think we have a plan.

1. we go with Tigger's suggestion of changing the fiddle yard to be 3 track loops each way with points at both ends.

2. We move the whole layout into the centre of the room, allowing us to create a complete roundy-roundy.

3. We have modules at each end (2 corners and a short straight one, plus modules down the other side.

4. Subject matter for the modules is again completely up to the module maker.

5. The standards, as accepted for 2012, are adopted again, with the adpation that the bridges do not need any supporting base (or if added, it needs to be less than the track length)

6. Corner units - I will re-use one of mine (NOT the cardboard one...) leaving 3 to make.

7. Controls - this again left to Mike & Mike to organise - let us know if you need anything (to help with costs, etc)

Corners -

Outside dimensions 36" x 36"

Track radii - 30" & 32"

Baseboard - lozenge shape

Once we agree to a plan (not necessarily this one !) we need to have firm committments from participating members to both build a module and to confirm it's length.

Given that we'll need approx one on the FY side plus one at each end and perhaps 3 or 4 on the other side, there should be enough space to cater for all who have so far expressed an interest.

Have I missed anything ?

Stu

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ok Chaps, time to sort out what's going to happen at Taunton next year !! As it's all been a bit quiet, I'll start with a few general questions...

Firstly, do we want to do a Module Layout again ?

If so, do we want to do a full roundy-roundy ?

If so, do we think the plan outlined in Post 70 is workable and acceptable ?

If so, can we please have some commited volunteers to join in.

Awaiting your replies with interest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ok Chaps, time to sort out what's going to happen at Taunton next year !! As it's all been a bit quiet, I'll start with a few general questions...

Firstly, do we want to do a Module Layout again ?

If so, do we want to do a full roundy-roundy ?

If so, do we think the plan outlined in Post 70 is workable and acceptable ?

If so, can we please have some commited volunteers to join in.

Awaiting your replies with interest.

Since posting this, Bill Jones has sadly withdrawn his offer of making the corner modules, for very personal reasons.

I've had no other responses, and am nearing the point at which we cancel next year's module project and hand the room back to Tim for other layouts.

What do you all think ???

Archived