For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

The 2013 SWAG Module Project

Stubby47

"convertible locos" - something dreamt up by the GWR in the transition from Broad Gauge to something apparently inherited from the...Romans....   :laugh:

Anyway the swift application of  :butcher:  to the track work should permit 'Broad Gauge' running - simples!!

You should think yourself lucky that I don't still live near Minehead, or I would have volunteered to make a module, and what I turned up with could well have been 28mm gauge :sungum:. It's why the BG bit of my name is there!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ok Chaps, about time we confirmed the table & module layout for this Sunday.

If possible, I'd like to push the tables out from the wall approx 2ft, on one side only, to allow easier access to the middle. Seeing some of our members struggle to scramble under the table last year could have filled a photo caption competiion for several years !

post-7025-0-16559900-1366877604_thumb.gif

This is the projected plan of how the modules will fit together (if may need to change on the day if we get issues...). We need to start with Arthur's & the two corners, then work back towards each fiddle yard.

post-7025-0-49115000-1366877603_thumb.gif

To any member wishing to bring stock to run, please do !! - Bear in mind that it will be handled by the operators (who may not be you). If you want to bring EM or P4 gauge, we will do our best to make it fit on the track....

Last point, and most important - have fun !!!

• RMweb Gold

Excellent idea about the extra space Stu - my arthritic knee says thank you and I'll try not to bleed on the floor this year.  I will not be bringing any stock for the 'mainline'  (unless anything on order from Kernow happens to arrive between now & then and Chris brings it along to save the postage - but I'm not expecting any more Hornby GW tanks that soon, area we!!  Unless anyone fancies seeing a Heljan parcels unit in operation (haven't even had time to test it!

Meanwhile the Silurian Spring Co Ltd might welcome small locos (and I do mean small) locos to its sidings - 8 coupled engines definitely barred.

• RMweb Gold

I will not be bringing any stock for the 'mainline'  (unless anything on order from Kernow happens to arrive between now & then and Chris brings it along to save the postage - but I'm not expecting any more Hornby GW tanks that soon

Apparently there will be a 2-8-0 on offer on the day, if your pockets are deep enough...

Unless anyone fancies seeing a Heljan parcels unit in operation (haven't even had time to test it!

Yes !!

Gents - one small amendment to the Small Hall plan... ;)  :lol:

attachicon.gifSmall hall piano.JPG

Phew !! - Could have been "Stubby's old Loo".....

• RMweb Premium

Gents - one small amendment to the Small Hall plan... ;)  :lol:

attachicon.gifSmall hall piano.JPG

That might not be quite right yet , the top section of my fiddle , module and Pete's module will be the shorter side ,

this is due to my module being a 3' length not 4' .

So assuming a 4' for the lower side this will then be the longer one .

And we can soon make short work of  the piano , I will have a sledgehammer in the ' toolkit ' .    :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

From what I remember (!) from last year, your module & Tigger's seemed to be about the same length. Peter's is 4ft, so is Mike's (Stationmaster's), so I expect there to be a gap beyond Tigger's FY and the end wall.

But, either way, I think leaving a small gap for access will be better than clambering under the tables...

if it helps my module is 4' and the fiddle yard is 8'

Looking forward to Mike tickling the ivories with a sledgehammer  :butcher: (can't find one with a sledgehammer)

See you all on Sunday  :sungum:  :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

if it helps my module is 4' and the fiddle yard is 8'

Looking forward to Mike tickling the ivories with a sledgehammer  :butcher: (can't find one with a sledgehammer)

See you all on Sunday  :sungum:  :locomotive:

In which case, we ought to arrange the tables with the gap nearest the hatch wall, rather than the window wall. (As long as that flippin' pianah is not there...)

• RMweb Gold

Guys - the pianah is definitely in that small room to the best of my knowledge, and I don't really want to move it out of there. There will be wall-to-wall BCB/Warners table/Cashmore along the wall opposite the modular layout, by the way!

• RMweb Premium

Guys - the pianah is definitely in that small room to the best of my knowledge, and I don't really want to move it out of there. There will be wall-to-wall BCB/Warners table/Cashmore along the wall opposite the modular layout, by the way!

More sledghammer work then .      :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

In which case, we ought to arrange the tables with the gap nearest the hatch wall, rather than the window wall. (As long as that flippin' pianah is not there...)

Having looked at some of last years photos I can see that Tiggers fiddle yard was tight to the wall

and tight to the radiator protector , if this was to come out those few inch's and slightly closer to

the window that would then give more clearance on my side to enable a passage for people  to

pass through .

Photo one in post 48 in this link shows what I'm blabbering on about .

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55739-taunton-members-day-29-4-12-a-photographic-record/page-2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, well remembered Mike.  So, if we place the tables slightly in front of the radiator, rather than against the wall, we'd have enough room to both get past the piano and get into the middle.

Perfick.

• RMweb Gold

Another successful show, chaps, Well Done !!

As you might have heard rumoured, I am stepping down from organising the Module Project layout, to concentrate on my own layout of Shepherds for next Taunton. Before I hand over the reins, I'd like to thank a few exceptional characters who have made all this possible.

Firstly, to Mike (Tigger)  & Mike (Sidecar Racer) - without whom we'd never have got anything working - their fiddle yards have proved again easy to operate and provided the basis for the whole project.

Next to Mike (Stationmaster) aka Mr Toolbox, who's help & presence (& toolbox !!) ensured we turned a few random modules into a cohesive layout.

This year I'd like to thank Arthur, for stepping in at short notice to build a superb module; Peter Bedding, who supplied the other necessary module - it was nicknamed 'Pinewood'...; and the BRM guys for their corner bookstand.

Thanks also to Tim (the good Captain) and Andy Y for allowing us to use the small hall at Staplegrove on blind faith (at least last year).

Thanks also to all of you who brought stock to run, or just came to view.

For me, it's been a great couple of Member's Days - sorry if I've been a bit repetitive in asking for modules, but it all worked out in the end. 

So, once again, thanks to everyone who's got involved in anyway, please continue to give your help & support to the next ModuleMeister - Tigger !!

Stu

One person that Stu has not thanked is himself. I think that dispite what he has said above it was him that kept it all together

Well done mate and good luck with Shepherds, not sure that 4mm sheep will be that interesting but each to his own :no:

As to becoming  ModuleMeister, well I have some big shoes to fill but I'll do my best 

There were some interesting  ideas for next year so I will start a 2014 SWAG Module Project thread very shortly and the fun will start :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Stu, where did you get idea for the other corner module???

I was browsing in the local 2nd book shop...

To be fair, the guys only had a few months to build their corner, it was ballasted and worked fine - without it we'd have been stuffed. Hopefully it can be re-used next year by reversing the backscene.

Archived