Locos and rolling stock around Sheffield Victoria c.1954

asilren

Hi

I'm new to this forum (and to railway modelling in general), but now that the Heljan EM1s have arrived I'm thinking about modelling the Sheffield end of the Woodhead route in it's first few months as an electrified route basically the end of 1954.

The question is what steam locos and carriage stock is suitable for the areas around Sheffield?

Obviously the EM1 and forthcoming EM2s along with the ubiquitous BR Mark 1 Coaches in the attractive Crimson & Cream livery (which appear to be often in BSK-CK-SK-SK-SK-BSK formation, or variations on that theme from what I've seen)

However, I hope I can add a little more variety with some pre-BR stuff. Now I have looked through books on Woodhead, done google searches, watched the DVD 'Electrics across the Pennines' and I can see that there's lots of variety, but I'm not familiar with the steam era (locos, carriages etc.) [having been born in the much duller era of Sectorisation].

Some photos particularly in the EM Johnson 'Woodhead - The Electric Railway' appear to show carriages that look like Gresley teaks, are these the ones modelled by Hornby? Would any of the Hornby Suburbans have been used this far up? BR MK 1 Suburbans? LMS Porthole coaches? Honestly I haven't a clue, but i'm intrigued to find out, and it'll make a nice change from my usual focus of Blue/Grey.

Oh and before anyone asks or indicates that it might be more fruitful to model the late 50s/60s, well I am purposely trying to avoid that era for several reasons, 1) I want to focus on the railway when it was prosperous [particularly passenger services, freight doesn't interest me much], by the 60s it was definately in decline, 2) When 'local' stations such as Deepcar, Oughtibridge, Wortley were still open to passenger services and final 3) Because I dislike the BR Green and Maroon liveries, although I really like the electric blue and blue with small warning panel liveries.

Sounds like a good excuse to do a bit of research, may I reccommend the Foxline,'Scenes From The Past' series, there's a few good titles in that, but search 2/h as most are out of print.

Plenty of RTR steam availiable, and some to come as well. 1954, make sure you get the early crest. A couple of late LNER would not go amiss, not everything was re-painted / branded / liveried by 1954

Hornby

B1, B17 Footballer, Thompson LI, A3, Forthcoming O1, Black 5, D49

Bachmann

B1, O4, LMS Jubilee, Forthcoming Pom Pom J11, V2, LMS Crab, WD 2-8-0 (maybe), K3, And the GC director (if they make it after the scottish one announced)

Not sure of BR standards in 1954 Victoria, best look for photographic evidence.

Some usefull info here

http://www.annesleyfireman.com/

http://www.railwayar...rg.uk/index.php

http://www.thewoodheadsite.org.uk/

http://www.disused-s...ria/index.shtml

You have seen Scenes from the past Woodhead, The Electric Railway, I can recomend the other 2 books

Woodhead Part 1 Manchester London Rd to Woodhead &

Woodhead Part 2 Dundord Bridge to Sheffield Victoria - especially for early 50's steam photos.

Also from the same SFTP (Foxline) series, Ken Graingers

Sheffield Victoria to Chesterfield Central

Hope this helps.

Brit15

Plenty of RTR steam availiable, and some to come as well. 1954, make sure you get the early crest. A couple of late LNER would not go amiss, not everything was re-painted / branded / liveried by 1954

Hornby

B1, B17 Footballer, Thompson LI, A3, Forthcoming O1, Black 5, D49

Bachmann

B1, O4, LMS Jubilee, Forthcoming Pom Pom J11, V2, LMS Crab, WD 2-8-0 (maybe), K3, And the GC director (if they make it after the scottish one announced)

This is brilliant, thank you so much! Well that totally takes care of the steam locos, I shall peruse all the available options that are available with the early crest.

It's just the rolling stock I need to figure out now! :)

• 5 months later...

Hi, Only joined the forum a few minutes ago, so this may be a bit too late for you. As a boy I lived in Sheffield and used the woodhead route regularly to visit grandparents in Cheshire.

Most of my memories are of the 60's, but at that time i do recall regularly travelling in gresley teak coaches in maroon, and there were also thompsons often included in the rake. I definately never saw any suburban non-corridor stock, this was often used on the alternative Hope valley route between Sheffield and Manchester, a line which our house overlooked. Occasionally, we would travel in ex-LMS stock, but this was maroon. I havethe book "On The Woodhead Route" by Alan Whiethouse which has a great colour photo dated April 1966 which clearly shows a maroon ex-LMS brake behind 27003 Diana at Manchester on a train from Victoria.

As far as steam power goes, the lists provided previously are pretty accurate, the only addition i would make is C13 class 4-4-2t - I have a photo of one on empty stock in Victoria dated may 1954, in the book Rail Centres: Sheffield, by Stephen Batty. The same book also has a photo of a Britannia on the "continental" boat train from harwich, with a crimson/cream MK1 behind the loco, although this a bit later (1960) than your period.

Hope this is of some use, I certainly enjoyed reminiscing!!

SNIPPED -The same book also has a photo of a Britannia on the "continental" boat train from harwich, with a crimson/cream MK1 behind the loco, although this a bit later (1960) than your period.

SNIPPED

The Britannia diagram on the Harwich- Sheffield boat train actually began in September 1958 with the start of the new timetable, prior to that the train was booked to be worked by a March B17 to and from Sheffield.

Andy

Another book,

Steam Memories Sheffield 1950s - 1960s ( book law publications) pictures by Keith Pirt.

Although the photos are taken in 1958.

Another loco to add, although not RTR yet, would be the N4/N5.

Pete

Archived