Marion's Square

Ian_H

Hi,

This is my very first post, although I have visited the RMweb pages on a regular basis to look at the wonderful model railways that you guys have built. I’ve always fancied having a model railway of my own, sure I had a Triang Hornby train set as a kid and marvelled at the model railways in the Railway Modeller and the like but just never had the time to build one for myself. I think I have the time now and have the space in my loft, 8.3m (gable to gable) x 8.05m (between wall plates) so a big space. Unfortunately my home was built in 1997 and the roof utilizes a Fink trussed rafter construction – the big ‘W’, so there are no load bearing supporting walls on the floor below. This means that it will be necessary to install a new floor and strengthen the roof rafters, basically to convert the loft space to a habitable train room.

Of course you will realise that at the moment I am nowhere near laying track for the railway, I have to make the conversion of the loft space first and I wonder if people would be interested in how I go about this. I’m not a builder and have no involvement in the construction industry, I’m simply a DiY’er who asks a lot of questions about how things are done and then if he's brave enough, has a go!

With regard to the model Railway that I want to build, I have been most impressed by Lime Street, Eastwood Town and Bradfield, Gloucester Square. Of course all these model railways have been or are being built to a very high standard by individuals who, I assume, have years of experience in building and operating model railways. Would I hope to emulate them? Sure but get real, my knowledge base is nil but on the bright side I guess that means it can only improve. I like the idea of a terminus station, hence why I mention the above models, and would probably only concentrate on passenger stock and parcels, the period would be late 50s early 60s. I am very interested in building my own point work so will at some point have to get a copy of Templot but as mentioned above, I have to convert the loft first. I have had a delivery of materials and am about to commence the construction. I know that lots of modeller use the loft space for their model railway and I am happy to post plans and photographs to explain what I’m doing if there’s an interest.

Ian

• RMweb Gold
I am very interested in building my own point work so will at some point have to get a copy of Templot but as mentioned above, I have to convert the loft first.

Hi Ian,

Welcome to RMweb. Templot is free nowadays ( download from: http://85a.co.uk/for...p?post_id=10771 ), so there is no reason to delay planning and dreaming. smile.gif

regards,

Martin.

Ian

Welcome aboard. The great thing about RM Web is that its for all ages and abilities so if you have what you think is a dumb question - just ask. We are all here to help.

I look forward to seeing your loft converstion.

Paul R

Archived