X04 replacement

i have many models that are powered by the trusty x04 and they are very reliable, there are a couple of my locos that i use for shunting that are powered by this motor but, could do with a smoother drive for slow running.

does anybody know if a replacement motor exists. i do know that buhler did a replacement motor a few years ago but, other than that no clue.

could any rmwebber help with ideas.

Looked into this a while back. Found this one. may not be available in the UK yet. They do show prices in "GB Pounds" on the web site. modeltorque.com.au

Hornby x.04 motor "drop in" replacement kit

New brass worm & high torque can motor. Never requires re-magnetizing!

Price: GBP 21.50 mlf-46ga1.jpg

They are smoother and quieter than the XO4 motors, as for reliability most of mine are fitted under whitemetal 0-6-0 kits I often leave one trundling around for an hour or so and haven't burn one out yet. The motor as a unit without the mounting bracket is so cheap I wouldn't worry if they did.

They are smoother and quieter than the XO4 motors, as for reliability most of mine are fitted under whitemetal 0-6-0 kits I often leave one trundling around for an hour or so and haven't burn one out yet. The motor as a unit without the mounting bracket is so cheap I wouldn't worry if they did.

To add to bigherb, the "B12" motors are OK. As stated they are smoother and quieter than an X04, and they seem reasonably powerful - my B12 can pull 6 carriages, and the limit on pulling any more is wheel slippage rather than motor power. Whether they last as long as an X04 is another matter, but are cheaper to replace, and the replacement isnt difficult. I also have a 7 pole motor in a Triang 0-6-0 chassis. These were on sale on ebay a few years back and are very similar in appearance to X04s, but are not a direct replacement, and it took a bit of work to fit it into the 0-6-0. It runs well at slow speed, but is still a bit noisy (quieter than a normal X04, but noisier than the B12 motor). I have about 3 more that I havent got round to fitting into a chassis yet!

• 6 months later...

An alternative is to swap the ferrite magnet for a neodymium one.

£4.95 from eyespydublo on ebay

I have done this with ageing (triang/Hornby jinties) which I re-wheeled, repainted, accessorised etc.

They will move more slowly at a lower power(current?) according to my gaugemaster transformer.

Bob Hughes

By 'fettling', what do you mean? Will also look at neo magnet, but the magnet seems strong anyway.

I had to file (gently) a bit of metal from the two slots that the motor hooks into on the chassis. about half a dozen strokes each side tturned a non fit into a tight fit I did not need any packing to mesh the gears.tHe motor and mount cost three quid so I was not that worried , however it works ok.

I assume that 5 pole replacement armatures aren't available any more. I fitted one many years ago and it worked nicely.

I think these like the motors are a thing of the past, I have a small stock of these 5 pole motors to fit into some Wills brass chassis just to make life easier with some kits I have. Modern can motors with the 2 stage gearboxes are best, but as a retro fit these are an easy solution, and just the job to fit as a replacement into Hornby chassis

• RMweb Gold

These Airfix 5 pole motors are an easy replacement http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649 may even be better with a neopreen magnet. But are a straight forward drop in replacement. A brand new one sold yesterday for £11, have not looked too closely at the one in the link but these come up quite regulary

Don't think a neoprene magnet would be very effective http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoprene

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet however... ;-)

Andi

Archived