Where are they getting the staff at Entroncamento do do the maintenance. The newspapers here have reported the government refusing new recruitments to replace leaving staff, so serious shortages in passenger stock including ALFAs!

You are right. AD says one of the biggest issues they face is lack of trained staff for any remedial work. A sad state of affairs. It may be helped by the fact that Takargo are potentially involved? 

• 1 month later...

What an awesome beast!

Is it me or is this loco shorter than it's French counterpart, please?

Not sure John. There were several variations of the French version. I will ask those that might know. All I do know is that they overheated with original exhaust/silencers so they took them off...... yeeha!

Thanks Guys!

Yes, quite a bit shorter.

Not sure John. There were several variations of the French version. I will ask those that might know. All I do know is that they overheated with original exhaust/silencers so they took them off...... yeeha!

Jeepers!

In that case, I suspect I never saw one in that form, surely I would have remembered that sound. The Alco's on the Algarve were quite sufficient!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

INCOMING! The locos have arrived at stop one EPAL Lisbon. Next is a spin DIT behind a 5600  haules I/C on their way to Coimbra. Then by 'Santa's Carrier Pensioner' back to Whickham near Newcastle, thence to Scotland..... will be on view at Perth Show next year. 

post-657-0-75658400-1543500903_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-22140800-1543500914_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-16839000-1543500921_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

INCOMING! The locos have arrived at stop one EPAL Lisbon. Next is a spin DIT behind a 5600  haules I/C on their way to Coimbra. Then by 'Santa's Carrier Pensioner' back to Whickham near Newcastle, thence to Scotland..... will be on view at Perth Show next year. 

Yes, they headed north on IC527 behind class leader 5601 this evening and have been out on a test run at Airthrey Park in Coimbra. Given I've forgotten how to include photos here, Simon will have to do the honours tomorrow.

Impressed with the models - a very tricky subject to capture, given all the curves, angles and details, but done with a mix of resin and brass, they really do capture the 'look' the locos impressively well. Given the curfew that is in force here after 21h00, I wasn't able to test the sound fitting, but their running qualities were excellent. Highly recommended is the verdict so far and they fill the final significant gap in the CP CdeL diesel loco fleet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Astis have made it to the UK in readiness for Perth Show in June. Mine 1944 had already developed a fault....... blown/faulty speaker. Have swapped out for a YouChoos Flame Cube speaker and noticeably better. So Andrew's 1935 is getting same mod. Sound chip is OK. a bit Turbo heavy and not really getting the 'racket' that an Asti makes but Portugal is probably a few years behind Legomanbiffo and Paul Chetter at this stage?! 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 03/04/2019 at 17:26, brushman47544 said:

Don’t know if you’re interested, but SudExpress has announced new Sorefame coaches, expected in September. https://www.comboioselectricos.com/html/frames/sorefame.htm

Andrew..... are we interested?!?! We haven't stopped hyper ventilating yet?! We have ordered all three rakes. So we will have 9 different coaches. Probably running as a a 4 and a 5 or 3 x 3 ? We will see. €260 for 3 coaches doesn'r seem too much? If anyone is interested these are what they look like as Preproduction models. Very nice indeed. Stainless bodies, the sort of things that in the real worls last for ever!!

Newslet_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Feast or famine in Portuguese modelling. Having had nothing to look forwards to for years all of a sudden we have the Sorefame coaches on the near horizon to look forward to. Then  SudExpress announce both the Asti (see kit built version in earlier posts) Sud's release will include the 'freight' pool with the odd long buffers. They have also announced the Schindler coaches. These superb vehicles are still in service in the Porto region and are approaching 70 years old. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not just Portugal. Looking at the Nuremburg report in CM, a staggering quantity of new European models coming from "small" manufacturers - some of whom have a bigger programme than the established players. And some prototypes that I would never have expected to see r-t-r.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

See what we mean Neil?! 

In other news "our' (Andrew's) Bombardier 1965 has had a chip and speaker upgrade (nervous work here!) The two Astis have both had YouChoos Large Flame speakers added and sound better. The Orange Norbrass Alco has also had speaker upgrade. All because despite the exorbitant money charged for some of these models the quality of sound supplied is a long way from what we luxuriate in here in British Outline.  

On 13/05/2019 at 07:49, gridwatcher said:

See what we mean Neil?! 

In other news "our' (Andrew's) Bombardier 1965 has had a chip and speaker upgrade (nervous work here!) The two Astis have both had YouChoos Large Flame speakers added and sound better. The Orange Norbrass Alco has also had speaker upgrade. All because despite the exorbitant money charged for some of these models the quality of sound supplied is a long way from what we luxuriate in here in British Outline.  

Didn’t Lima do a “Dumper Truck” (1960 class) many years ago?

They had unfortunately stopped working passenger trains before I went to Portugal for the first time.

Neil

Well, I had no idea AM were going to offer a limited run of rtr kits of the 1900, instead, back in early 2018 or was it 2017(?) I bought two of his kits along with a couple of Bachmann SD40 el cheapo via eBay. I've only built up one of them as the process of cutting down the Bachmann frame and reassembling them to the correct size was more than a handful of trouble. Regardless, one is built. I was going to start on the second one for eBaying when I saw the Sudexpress flyer...., think I'll leave the kit alone..... but darn it I've just noticed I've knocked a windscreen wiper off.

I bought the sound project, created working ditch lights that operate white/red or white both ends etc. Then weathered it.  While the resin details aren't bad overall, I did think a much better method of building the trucks is required. Following AM instructions, I reckon they'd not last many years of abusive use. Since AM are charging 450 euros for a built one, I think I'm fine having only spent 230 euros to build this.

P5140004.jpg

P5140003.jpg

P5140002.jpg

P5140001.jpg

P5140005.jpg

Edited by Stimpy53
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1