I would say a big YES!! Can we get figures in various states of inebriation?!

I think the Lisboa/Nottingham contingent will be in a state of inebriation around the weekend 19/20th Jan next year.... :drink_mini:

Anyway, back on topic... :nono:

A quality piece for the discerning Portuguese modeller! I have one of these 2600s - it is possibly the second worst model of a Portuguese loco? The worst was that Lima Aussie Class 44 masquerading as a 1960

The thought of running a wire up at least one platform has been discussed. Sadly as the 5600 is the only useful model and that would be unlikely to venture up east we have decided against it....but never say never!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the station building and now completed and weathered goods shed. Looking good. Final trackplan shake down next week or the week after and 'then we begin'

It's going to be one heck of a baseboard to get the valley with the river at the bottom of it in.....

Seriously though, looking good!

Couple of oldies from Mosteiro. I think the Lisboa correspondent was about this day propping up a bottle or two of the local vinho.... :drink_mini:

post-7358-0-86544700-1355528177_thumb.jpg

post-7358-0-12447800-1355528219_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've just found this post and was looking at all the pictures of Portugese railways (the real ones!) earlier on in the thread.  But here's a question (which may be a bit off-topic): I've travelled on Spanish Railways and took a few pictures of the trains I travelled on or in the station, but last year in Ronda, after taking a couple of pictures, an announcement came over the information system (in English as well as Spanish) that customers were advised that it was not allowed to take photographs at any time.  Needless to say, I put my camera away (it's not a large SLR or anything like that) but I assume that someone saw me and put out the message.  I've since found out that it is illegal to take pictures of railway installations in Spain.  Now, does anyone know if it's the same in Portugal?  Presumably, the picture takers in this thread did not receive any trouble.

I dunno the answer. The Portuguese have always been a more laid back (pro British too) bunch of people than the Spanish, in my experience. The Spanish have suffered some nasty terrorist attacks on their system, however.

Best, Pete.

I have taken loads of pictures on Portuguese railway property and never had any trouble. I have on a few occasions asked the station master, when available, but the usual answer is something along the lines of " of course but do be careful" along with a look of why are you bothering to ask. The locals used to wander all over railway property, but I think that is being discouraged more these days with faster and quieter trains making the railway dangerous for itinerant wanderers !!

I cannot comment on Spain from personal experience, but I do believe they are not so indulgent of the railfan. It is possible to get a permit for photography I believe which gets over most problems with the officials.

Best advice is go to Portugal and enjoy !

• Like 1

From what I understand, Spain no longer issues permits for photography from public places and (apparently) photography is more tolerated.  I doubt this to be the case, and certainly having a permit was often needed to gain access and I have been "challenged" several times over the years while carrying a permit.  Asking permission sometimes gives additional access - on one occasion I was even lent a hi-viz to go lineside at Irun - sometimes a refusal.

As has been said, Portugal has traditionally been pretty open as far as railway photography goes and I don't think I've ever been hassled there.

As Eddie states, permits haven’t been issued for some years now.

The infrastructure company ADIF has this page that explains the latest rules for aficionados.

http://www.adif.es/en_US/ocio_y_cultura/fotografia_ferroviaria/aficionados_fotografia.shtml

Basically, photography is permitted from public areas but on railway property it is restricted but it doesn’t say it is prohibited completely. It seems to say that if you are on the platform, you should be in possession of a valid ticket.

As is the case in most countries, if you ask permission from someone in charge they usually don’t have a problem. When my kids were smaller, I found that the authorities were more open to showing you around the installations if I had them with me. I, (the kids) have been shown the signalling panel at a couple of stations and once you are known to the personnel there is no problem.

Private security firms are employed these days at main stations, and at little used stations where 3 or 4 trains a day stop they usually appear some 15 minutes before the train arrives and leave once everyone has vacated the place.

I’ve heard a few stories of over zealous security guards trying to confiscate cameras and there was an incident of them breaking a local TV news cameraman’s equipment a few years ago.

The strange thing is that they don’t seem to bat an eyelid when people are crossing the tracks right in front of them? To the majority of the Spanish, crossing a railway track is a normal thing to do. Why go out of your way to find a bridge or underpass when A to B isn´t fenced off? They just have a different mindset.

I tend to take most of my photos outside of built up areas and I’ve never been approached yet but if the police/Guardia Civil were to see me, I’m sure they’d ask for some ID. Just make sure you have some on you.

• Like 1

As I was replying with the previous post and to bring this post back to Portugal, here are 3 images from the Douro Valley line.

A similar looking station to Mosteiro/Campo de Leste. Not sure you´ll be wanting to include a plastic Portaloo on your layout though?

post-7244-0-12573500-1358156390.jpg

The dual gauge turntable at Regua.

post-7244-0-93927100-1358156701.jpg

A couple of Transfesa cement wagons with CP shunter.

post-7244-0-90114000-1358156728.jpg

Maybe of use to someone?

• Like 5

Interesting comments re the photographing of railways, many thanks.  Like I said, I only took pictures of trains I had travelled in / about to travel on or were in the station.  Maybe it was just an over-zealous station master / security person at the time.

Maybe I ought to consider Portugal...

• Like 1

I have taken loads of pictures on Portuguese railway property and never had any trouble. I have on a few occasions asked the station master, when available, but the usual answer is something along the lines of " of course but do be careful" along with a look of why are you bothering to ask. The locals used to wander all over railway property, but I think that is being discouraged more these days with faster and quieter trains making the railway dangerous for itinerant wanderers !!

I cannot comment on Spain from personal experience, but I do believe they are not so indulgent of the railfan. It is possible to get a permit for photography I believe which gets over most problems with the officials.

Best advice is go to Portugal and enjoy !

I have taken loads of pictures in Catalonia with no problems.....but then again they would say they aren't Spanish! Thanks for the warning! Simon

• 2 weeks later...

I think I read some time back that you wouldn´t be putting any catenary in but as Electrotren are having a clearout at the moment I thought you might be interested all the same.

Analogue CP electric 5614 going around 71-74€ in a few shops in Spain.

Here for example:

http://www.picattore.com/tienda/es/cp/870-locomotora-electrica-cp-5614-analogica.html

http://www.gotthardtrens.com/descargas%2FOferta_de_la_Semana_01-2013Resto.pdf

Hi, I've just discovered this thread and remembered I had a few pics from a holiday in the Algarve years ago. I've always had a liking for CP locos.

Firstly, a couple of pics taken at Faro

post-7898-0-38026300-1359744745_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-64524400-1359744781_thumb.jpg

Next, Villa Real

post-7898-0-71014100-1359745074_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-22615600-1359745116_thumb.jpg

Lastly, Oporto (1998)

post-7898-0-66063300-1359745190_thumb.jpg

Mal

• Like 3

Brilliant stuff Mal...... the good old days and you will be please to know we have all the locos featured available for Campo De Leste in DCC sound fitted form!! Once Glasgow show is behind us we will start tracklaying in earnest, all major structures are complete now.

Peco code 75. It's probably as good as it gets. May fiddle with sleeper spacing in crappy bits of the yard? Here's the latest structure, fabulous grain silos from the fair hand of Malcolm Donnelly! This is the last major structure. Track laying commences after Glasgow Show. As you will see Malcolm has a CP box wagon available but no Orange locos hence the Clayton....gives you an idea of the scale of the thing!

post-657-0-80478500-1360407883_thumb.jpg

Edited by gridwatcher
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Si,

I'm not due out there again until October - I'll make the effort to see what's on the Lagos branch traffic.

The CP website still shows some of the 0600 Budd in their stocklist - maybe they're only on the Algarve now.

The Budd railcars have gone. Looked like the Algarve locals are in the hands of 0450 units. Nice and roomy for a ride to Lagos and back for lunch!

post-408-0-54413900-1361996868_thumb.jpg

The only othe train I saw was an Alfa Pendular on a Lisbon service.

post-408-0-98992000-1361996936_thumb.jpg

Plenty of block sleepered track (just like Peco have introduced..............)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...