Bachmann 82xxx Smokebox Mods and Wheel Turning

Hi Everyone,

I was very pleased with the appearance of the new Bachmann 82xxx tank, it's a fantastic model with very good renditions of the liveries. However, there are a couple of issues that aren't quite perfect. Apparently some of the models suffer from wobbly wheel syndrome, i bought three, one of mine had egg-shaped wheels. The other problem is this incorrect smokebox interior detail. To be fair, they obviously intend the hollow smokebox for hiding any microchip and the tubeplate detail (which should be at the back of the smokebox) is there to hide it. The easiest solution is keep the smokebox door shut !

I couldn't be bothered to send back my mail-order wobbler, so i gave it the total strip down and removed the driving wheels. The centre drivers seemed o.k., it was the front and rear drivers that were eccentric. Taking one wheel off at a time, i turned them on my lathe. Turning plastic centre wheels is tricky and risky, the best thing is to take your time and don't allow the wheel to get hot. They only needed a slight skim and i did the o.k. centre drivers as well to keep all to size. Wheels back on and quartered, all a.o.k., runs perfectly now.

Bachmann82xxx015.jpg

Bachmann82xxx010.jpg

For a bit of fun, i decided to cut out the smokebox tubeplate detail and remount it in the correct place. I've also added the blastpipe bell housing, below the chimney and the mesh screens in front of that. BR Standard locos had self-cleaning smokeboxes, so they had mesh screens in front of and behind the blastpipe. This is what Bachmann could have modelled, complete with the detachable locking bar in front. (Perhaps my mesh could have been finer and my coupling bar needs black paint)

Cheers, Brian. (P.S. It's two different locos,only one has the mesh! :D )

Bachmann82xxx016.jpg

Bachmann82xxx022.jpg

Bachmann82xxx026.jpg

Bachmann82xxx027.jpg

... Apparently some of the models suffer from wobbly wheel syndrome, i bought three, one of mine had egg-shaped wheels. ...I couldn't be bothered to send back my mail-order wobbler, so i gave it the total strip down and removed the driving wheels. The centre drivers seemed o.k., it was the front and rear drivers that were eccentric. Taking one wheel off at a time, i turned them on my lathe.

Well done - but it really shouldn't be necessary, should it?

I too have a Unimat but I see no reason why I should faff about dismantling the loco, turning the wheels, and reassembling / requartering a brand new chassis.

Mine's gone back to Bachmann !!

In the old days, manufacturers used to test run their products - I remember seeing this on a Hornby factory visit.

I suppose it's too much trouble nowadays and it's the customer who has the hassle of posting (at his own expense) a brand new product back to Bachmann, then waiting for them to get round to replacing it.

Yes - I know it's the retailer's responsibility, but the only other green 82xxx he had in stock also had wobbly wheels.

Regards, disconsolately,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Well done - but it really shouldn't be necessary, should it?

I too have a Unimat but I see no reason why I should faff about dismantling the loco, turning the wheels, and reassembling / requartering a brand new chassis.

Mine's gone back to Bachmann !!

In the old days, manufacturers used to test run their products - I remember seeing this on a Hornby factory visit.

I suppose it's too much trouble nowadays and it's the customer who has the hassle of posting (at his own expense) a brand new product back to Bachmann, then waiting for them to get round to replacing it.

Yes - I know it's the retailer's responsibility, but the only other green 82xxx he had in stock also had wobbly wheels.

Regards, disconsolately,

John Isherwood.

John.I'm guessing its a take it or leave it attitude from some retailers and wheres the quality conrol in China ?

Guest Max Stafford

Marvellous bit of work. I was talking to a guy at Wigan who replaced his Farish 04 wheels with turned steel scale jobs and the performance was simply stunning. Unfortunately, our RTR models are built to a price specially for the UK market. Better quality wheels probably could be provided at the factory, but the increase in the unit cost of the model would probably be unnaceptable to a large number of modellers.

It's got me thinking about Gibsons though! ;)

Dave.

wheres the quality conrol in China ?

The quality control in China and in particular with Bachmann is first class. As Dave points out in his reply they build down to a price. They seem to be doing that rather well of late. Nobody tries to make anything perfect these days. Very few companies will try to make the best product that thay are capable of making. It would simply cost too much. You make a product that will have an acceptable percentage of defects to suit that particular market. Get it wrong and it costs.

Simples.

To get back on topic. Very good I like it. A neat piece of work with the brass wire loop for the coupling as well.

Bernard

Thanks for all the replies and comments,

Yes, i agree the manufacturer should sort out any major faults. It took me about an hour to do the wheels, but it's not for the faint-hearted. I couldn't bear the thought of returning it and all the postage/insurance aggro, sleepless nights staring at the ceiling thinking "when's my loco coming back", etc!

Regarding the smokebox, what you all saw, was actually TWO green 82005s. I'm not mad enough to model removable mesh screens or permanently cover up other modelling details. One was portrayed as the s/box door having just been opened, revealing the mesh screens. The other 82005 was portrayed as having the screens removed for maintenance, revealing the blastpipe and tubeplate, ready for cleaning. There are other details and pipes that could be added, but i'm not going to go crazy. Eventually i will renumber one or both locos.

By the way, what inspired this, is a brilliant BTF film called "Wash and Brush Up", which takes you through all the maintenance stages on shed with a Standard Class 5. It's available on the "Reshaping British Railways" compilation. Highly recommended.

Cheers, Brian.

Archived