Hi Graham,

A nice idea although one small problem may be the fact that the yellow boxes in the fiddle yard indicate cassette locations so I would need to reduce the length of the steel terminal cassette slots to accommodate the additional turnouts and my plan was to standardise on one or two cassette lengths for varying train lengths, the longest being 1200mm which shouldn't be too unwieldy to handle.

Another complication would be the proximity to the baseboard join where the large gap between the back scene and first cassette is to allow for the lighting uprights. I am thinking of having permanent lighting where the baseboard ends are solid sheets of ply with the aperture cut out for the scenic section and fiddle yard. I would like to keep the uprights solid but to get the additional track through would need to cut away some material.

It would, as you say, be a nice operational feature so I'm not ruling it out yet. It will involve more work as I wasn't planning on making the curviform crossing to be 100% reliable in both directions, perhaps sacrificing the quality of the branch curve a little to ensure the main line runs smoothly enough. Not having built this type of crossing before I'm not sure how accurate I can get it! It also means switching the frogs of the crossing which could be hard-wired if only one route were used; not a major task but some additional cost incurred as I would probably use a Dual Frog Juicer for that.

It would also make the signalling a problem where I would need two displayable legends on the theatres, which I don't think is possible in 2mm scale yet. The CR Signal kits are simply an LED behind a brass etch so are restricted to a single legend.

On the signalling front I have found the diagram which doesn't help much for the Birmingham line but does show the diverging line as "Branch". I have however found an image with a starter signal showing an "M" which I am guessing is going to be the fairly standard "Main", so nothing special.

Thanks for the suggestion though and I will have a good look at whether it is achievable, possibly just running to two short sidings inside the other tracks rather than connecting back to the main lines.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Good Afternoon,

I have amended my signalling diagram with the latest additions, which now looks like this:

post-4669-0-88670200-1382533952_thumb.jpg

This is my electrical planning diagram so covers more than just the signals. The plan is to use Theatre Indicators for the platform "starters" as I can get away with only displaying an "M" for the main route, and stencils for the yard and siding. This doesn't, however, accommodate the possibility of making the branch usable. For the "home" signal (S8) I have opted for Feather Indicators as these are available operational, I have already had this signal commissioned by CR Signals.

I may also need to add a Limit of Shunt Indicator with an associated "Virtual Signal" (SV17). This is my own referencing which will form a route-setting pseduo signal for use in JMRI. I think on the model the physical LOSI would have to be too close to S8 so would not be of any real use, I will probably just assume it is off-scene.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon!

A bit of an update on the current proceedings; I have been looking at the scenic plan for the layout, trying to extend the siding off the bay platform to be of a usable length without impacting too much on the rest of the layout plan. The easiest way without impacting too much on the scenic plan would have been to move the turnout from the bay further towards the bay buffer stop, but this would have shortened the platform road length too much once the turnout was moved clear of the baseboard join. 

What I have managed to do is move the turnout further towards the baseboard join and increase the crossing angle to give the siding a sharper deviation from the bay road and also extend the length of the siding slightly. This has however necessitated the redesign of the scenics around the station approach:

post-4669-0-47918500-1384183149_thumb.jpg

The thought here is that the disused goods yard is now to the rear of the station, hence the retaining wall towards the rear. This was later extended to allow the Power Signal Box to be built on the old trackbed of the goods yard entrance. An old girder bridge will remain across the road between the station and PSB in a run-down, rusty and overgrown state.

The magenta line shows where a road will rise up to station level to access the staff car park and offices along with the redundant parcels office. The high ground in front of the extended siding will include a variety of Network Rail paraphernalia along side a brick built store of some description. 

I have also decided to extend the viaduct arches to the road bridge at the far RH side rather than having a partial grassed embankment. This should hopefully give more of the feel from Wolverhampton where previously only a few arches would have been used, this also gives more acreage for scenic detailing. Most of the arches will need to be closed up to hide the Cobalt motors under the track bed.

post-4669-0-66315700-1384183288_thumb.jpg

I'm not entirely sold yet on the changes, particularly behind the station; there are some unusual land formations around Wolverhampton station which could assist greatly with the Modellers Licence but also needs to be done carefully so as not to look too contrived. If a true model of the prototype were built it would probably look very strange modelled on a typical "sliver" of baseboard with only a small area surrounding the railway, for the scenery to make sense a greater depth would really be needed.

To help with the design I have started constructing some mock ups of the planned buildings to get a better feel for how the scenic design is going:

The Power Signal Box:

post-4669-0-58623000-1384184498.jpg

The last remaining of the old Crane Foundry buildings:

post-4669-0-44758300-1384184483.jpg

When I get a free evening I will put these on the full-size plan to see if they look right in their planned positions. I also want to check stock on the end curves between the station and cassettes, I'm hoping to be able to stable a train in a platform and still be able to swap cassettes.

On the stock front I have started another couple of projects:

post-4669-0-89048200-1384184506.jpg

These will become 2x Porterbrook Barrier Vehicles with the MK2 BSO becoming Network Rail 977969 Staff Coach (ex-BFK).

It is nice to be able to cross some things of the top of my "To Do" list but unfortunately my writing is still faster than my modelling. The queue for the spray both is now almost as long as my jobs list as well but they will probably have to wait until next summer once the garage gets another clear out.

I'll post progress on the scenic planning plus anything else that gets done alongside, hopefully continuing with my structured approach of randomly doing a variety of things.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Graham,

The siding will have limited use for stabling short Network Rail trains such as the 09 Tamper and possibly the odd light loco; I'm not sure if an MPV would fit but I'm tempted to measure up and check with the possibility of adding one to the stock list.

I plan to post a bigger update next Sunday when I'm off shift and have more time to transfer photos and compose it all. A few nights ago I had the layout plan rolled out with some stock positioned and the building mock-ups placed in their approximate locations. I had started to think the Power Signal Box was a bit over scale but having placed an 86 next to it and comparing with a photo of an 85 in front of the box it looks about right. I took a few photos so if any turned out OK I'll add them.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Morning All,

A slightly later than intended update, I opted to do a bit more work last night which could be added to this update.

Here are the photos from my planning/proving session:

post-4669-0-22668600-1385375809.jpg

post-4669-0-17538400-1385375822.jpg

Apologies for the mess in the lounge, I still have more decorating to do so can't get too excited about tidying up too much between decorating sessions!

I am going to have to either ease the inner track radius from the cassette to the station or ban the voyagers from platform 1 as they don't look like they will go round comfortably. On the plus side I can fit a twin Super Voyager train in the station and remain clear of the cassette, that will not be the case though for my Mk2/3 sets which will be a bit longer.

The second image doesn't show the flow as well as it used to, partly due to the drop from rug to floor but largely due to the curling of the modified track plan overlays. My plan is to operate the station such that trains with longer dwell times use the outer platforms while shorter dwell time passenger trains and through trains use the inner two; this will of course not be a hard-and-fast rule! The class 60 on BZAs was set up on a route from the steel terminal through platform 3.

I have seen photos of the Desiros in platform 5 at Wolverhampton but I'm not sure what service they were on, unless they were still under test? I knew a Class 323 would fit but wanted to check the Class 350 would as well:

post-4669-0-26599300-1385375835.jpg

Looks as snug a fit as the real thing! I'll find my reference photos and then check the sources online to see if there are any descriptions of the purpose of the trains in question.

I have now also started another little project towards the layout which was progressed further last night:

post-4669-0-28691100-1385375850.jpg

post-4669-0-68123400-1385375859.jpg

post-4669-0-30099900-1385375869.jpg

Having seen Cav Millward's photos on his Millers Dale thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68652-millers-dale-in-the-80s-br-peak-line-in-n/?p=1221288 I fancied having a dabble as it has been some time since I built any soldered track. I would liked to have used the FiNetrax range, particularly having built one of the Beta test kits, but only being bullhead rail would not really suit. When I get Bridgtown finished I will use the FiNetrax range for all the track on a BR Southern layout I am collecting stock for!

I hope to add the last stock rails tonight if time permits and possibly make a start on the common crossings. I am thinking of using the tie bar and associated components from the FiNetrax range as they provide a nice pivot to the switch blades rather than solid soldering.

Hopefully another update soon!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Evening All!

A quick update; after a couple of evening sessions a bit of progress has been made on the turnouts:

post-4669-0-71785600-1386267794.jpg

I may leave the switch blades and tie bars until the assembly has been installed on the baseboard (once that is also built!) and start on the next complex.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Evening All,

Having seen some examples at exhibitions I have often thought about having a departure board for Bridgtown to give a sense of purpose to some of the trains that will be run. I like the idea of using a PC to run and electronic departure screen but have a couple of questions about them.

One service I intend to resemble is a Birmingham International to Aberystwyth & Pwllheli train, operated by 2x 2 car DMUs which divides at Machynlleth. I have produced an initial attempt at how a departure screen may look as below:

post-4669-0-09352800-1386960901.gif

I think the screen change is probably a bit fast but should all the stations be listed or would they more likely use the statement "and stations to" or something similar?

Is the page layout correct in the use of spaces between rows, the front 2 coach section continuing on page 1 or should it be on page 2, things like that?

Any help will be most welcome.

The final result will hopefully look something like:

post-4669-0-16326200-1386961143_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Can I ask what you used to make the departure screens?

Hi Bumpkin,

It's a program called "Xara" which I also use for my layout scenic design (and any other graphic design), scaling buildings from Google and web design, it's a pretty neat bit of software!

Cheers,

Mark

Afternoon All,

Just a brief update; I have started work on the next batch of turnouts, the first stage consisting of five:

post-4669-0-28570200-1389717941_thumb.jpg

post-4669-0-74548200-1389717952_thumb.jpg

Once the common crossings have been assembled and installed I will continue across a short section of plain track which will use 2mmSA Easitrac bases before adding the copper clad timbers of the turnout which provides access to the bay platform.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Evening All!

I have had a few evenings here and there working on the latest area of track, and have progressed it as far as possible before removal from the temporary base. As previously mentioned, this will done once the baseboards are built:

post-4669-0-81813800-1391623503.jpg

post-4669-0-48549800-1391623504.jpg

post-4669-0-94697500-1391623504.jpg

post-4669-0-49629400-1391623505.jpg

post-4669-0-47189800-1391623506.jpg

A couple of vehicles placed on the track for no particular reason, other than the fact that they were there having been used for testing purposes:

post-4669-0-01938200-1391623506.jpg

There are only three turnouts remaining to be built for the scenic section so these will be started when time permits.

I have also been progressing the Network Rail staff coach being converted from a Farish Mark 2 BSO to a BFK used as the basis for the real thing. Unfortunately the photos where all a bit out of focus so the best one is shown here:

post-4669-0-64497900-1391623925.jpg

The next step is to modify one of the larger windows to have a raised sill prior to a coat of primer being applied.

The layout plan has also been changed slightly to extend the scenic section to the ends of the currently planned baseboards, and two shorter boards will also be built to accommodate the return curves. This will allow me to ease the radii and hopefully allow all stock to negotiate the curves.

As yet I am still to modify the scenic plan accordingly, which is the only other major change to the plan, fortunately I have been able to realign the track to maintain the previous geometry of the turnouts so will not need to replace any of them.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Really liking the trackwork. You cant beat the flow and natural look of handbuilt track. For me the peco turnouts with their hinged folded switchblades are the thing that spoils most layouts in any scale for me. I will be watching this with interest.

Really liking the trackwork. You cant beat the flow and natural look of handbuilt track. For me the peco turnouts with their hinged folded switchblades are the thing that spoils most layouts in any scale for me. I will be watching this with interest.

Thanks Cav,

It was seeing your hand built turnout posts that prompted me to make a start, it had been a while since I built any track other than threading rail onto chaired sleepers!

I fully agree regarding the Peco turnouts, for the Crawley MRS layout "West Tilgate" I cut away most of the motor base and clipped the ends of the tie bars, but that only goes some way towards improving their appearance.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 months later...

Evening All,

Hmm, been a while since the last update, but at least that's mostly due to my free time being spent working on layouts.

I have continued to develop the trial layout with a fair bit of success recently. My MERG CANCMD and CANCAB which I assembled some time ago and thought didn't work now apparently do work. Not sure what happened there exactly, perhaps the power supply I was using at the time wasn't up to the job.

In the last photos I posted of the trial layout the it was still pretty much just the bare bones with just the track and turnout motors; well it has become slightly more populated now (apologies for the quality of the photos, they were taken late at night!):

post-4669-0-59896500-1403120440.jpg

So looking around the layout we have the 12vdc input through the pluggable choccy blocks, 5vdc regulator module, CANUSB, RJ45 sockets for CANBUS connections and dual RJ11 CANCAB connector module:

post-4669-0-62449300-1403120442.jpg

The next photo shows the CANCMD to the left, a pair of CANACC5s (driving the cobalts), a pair of CANACE8C input modules and a CANACC8 output driver programmed as a CANSIG8 (although not yet connected to anything. The stripboard module at the bottom is a PMP7 DCC block detector module:

post-4669-0-69801500-1403120443.jpg

This photo shows the NB1B booster set up for a 5A supply:

post-4669-0-70949700-1403120444.jpg

My (now two) CANCABs:

post-4669-0-66454200-1403120441.jpg

This last overview photo shows another PMP7 detector module plus four quad detector modules designed using the PMP7 circuit but some combined components:

post-4669-0-66375400-1403120445.jpg

I may redesign the quad detector modules as I think more components could possibly be shared by the four detectors rather than having four of each item.

Once this was all working I configured the JMRI panel to get all the detection modules indicating correctly with some entry-exit routes set up:

post-4669-0-53720800-1403120439.jpg

I have a few "features" that I have identified which need resolving, as an example the exit from the loop doesn't set the turnout correctly using the entry-exit feature, but I think that can be resolved by adding a further two blocks where I may have been a bit conservative initially.

For the final Bridgtown layout I wanted the two DCC units (CANCMD and Booster) to be in a separate box along with the CANUSB. The intention here is that all the power supplies go into one box where all processing signal will pass through; this will ensure that as long as the box is connected to any baseboard, it should be able to work independently for testing.

I have now removed the required components from the trial layout and installed them in an aluminium case:

post-4669-0-65736000-1403120446.jpg

I have yet to modify the trial layout with the revised connections for the new box and assemble the necessary connection cables but that shouldn't take to long.

The next steps will be to add the two extra detection blocks with some additional CANACE8Cs, connect the remaining turnouts also to the CANACE8Cs for position feedback and manufacture some crude signals for testing purposes.

I also have plans for an entry-exit style control panel to check I can get the control input side of things to work; this is the plan for the fascia:

post-4669-0-39683200-1403122648_thumb.jpg

Once I have all the fundamental aspects working I will need to get a Raspberry Pi up-and-running; so far this has been sat in it's box for the last few weeks doing very little!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by pelhama
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

Good Evening,

There has been little progress on Bridgtown, apart from increasing the stock portfolio, since moving house nearly three years ago; we are still waiting for Bovis Homes to resolve many of the original defects. Once that has been suitably addressed I will insulate the garage to provide a new home for the layout and workbench.

I had started working on a small diorama layout to test scenic ideas and techniques. Named "Kimberley Road", after my Daughter, it just needs a small patch of baseboard covering with scenics, a few buildings to be assembled from Scalescenes kits and a backscene and lighting unit to be fitted to finish. Here is a photo at an earlier stage of completion:

post-4669-0-24130600-1502747915_thumb.jpg

Both this and Bridgtown have taken a back seat while I started work on my BR Southern layout "Robertsfield". With the "Photo/Scenic" baseboards from Tim Horn becoming available, and the successful trial of FiNescale track on Kimberley Road, plus some of the RTR Southern stock appearing from the manufacturers I decided to start building a layout with a bit more operating potential that could fit in the house; I have started a thread for it here.

post-4669-0-90758300-1502748100_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Evening All,

It's looking like Bridgtown will be returning to the drawing board - nothing too drastic, but some time ago I concluded that the cassette fiddle yard will be pretty unworkable, especially trying to keep up with an exhibition sequence.

Also, with the progress of Robertsfield and a likely change to the space available to set up the layouts at home, I'm looking to slightly revise the Bridgtown footprint so that I can share some of the components between the two layouts.

With an additional fiddle yard baseboard, I could have four of the Tim Horn scenic boards, which I think would allow me to maintain the basic scenic concept and flowing track geometry. This will also save on storage space where I would only need one set of fiddle yard baseboards, and one set of supports/bearers.

I will need to see what capacity the fiddle yard would have; I suspect it will be tight for space, but will be a good excuse to get the stock out again!

I have some fairly minor tweaks to the scenic design that I would also like to make, but won't be looking into this much until I have confirmed any revision to the overall size.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Good Afternoon All,

Having received my Revolution Trains Pendolino last week I had to set it up on the layout to see how it looked last night:

post-4669-0-26271800-1523550992_thumb.jpg

Alas, the fantastic model does make the layout appear somewhat lacking in detail and relief - it would probably help a little if I actually built it.

I have recently been working on my 60's steam era layout 'Robertsfield' (see link in signature) for which I have used some of the fantastic laser-cut baseboard kits from Tim Horn; I have now decided to use the same for Bridgtown with a common, albeit extended fiddle yard. The benefits of this are the time and cost saving in construction and, more importantly for me (okay, the Wife), the reduced space required for storage. Due to this it has meant revisiting the layout plan, and I have had to make some changes, although nothing too drastic, but the track needs to align with the common fiddle yard, and fit to a slightly larger scenic area.

post-4669-0-70044700-1523551474_thumb.png

I have yet to start adding scenic plans, but the intent is to keep it as close to the previous design as possible. I have dropped the steel terminal branch from the plan to make the interface to the fiddle yard standard at one end, but the theory is that the junction is a little further east.

I may yet add a little more curvature to the right hand end over the viaduct, but only if I can make the scenery suit to avoid a contrived meandering appearance to the track alignment.

Next up will be to review the electrical and scenic plans to bring those up to date.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Great to see this layout back again with a new lease of life!
Hope you don't mind the suggestion, but I thought with a small mod to your fiddleyard you could get that steel siding/reception line back in.  From your Robertsfield thread....

If you can fit a small Peco right hand point in that inner most storage line, make it the dedicated steel line, then you could just run straight into it from the scenic section.  You could also then hold the train partially 'on-scene' for a while without fouling any other storage lines.

Also, don't know what the baseboard depth would be for this layout (Tim Horn's got 45cm and 60cm depths I believe) but if you had a bit of space for say a false backscene you could put a couple of storage roads on the scenic board behind the backscene, enough for a 4-Car EMU/DMU etc, and then make the main junction a working junction.  Just enough for a light engine move to/from Bescot and the local stopping service like.

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your suggestions; I had briefly considered retaining the access to the steel transfer depot (which I'm not ruling out) but hadn't looked in too much detail. My thoughts that lead to the current plan were:

• I wasn't overly keen on the original plan with the somewhat truncated viaduct compared to the prototype, where the viaduct runs through to just past Lower Walsall Street before transitioning to embankment. Okay, this is only to be based on Wolverhampton rather than a model of it, but I did feel the viaduct section from my earlier plan with the short stub/safety/trap siding (I'll call it a trap siding from here) looked a little contrived. This was also a change from even earlier plans where I had the embankment running as far as the buffer on the trap siding, but changed it to arches to increase the length of the viaduct scene. I will revisit this - a thought springs to mind to keep the viaduct at a three-track width and join the running lines closer to the double junction, as if the third line continued further ahead, but has now been lifted.

• The first fiddle yard baseboard where you have added the turnout is at capacity for the current electrical installation in terms of the number of turnouts that can be driven. It might be possible to tandem the turnouts as a crossover from a single output, but since they are servo driven it would not allow individual electronic adjustment of the servo travel. I could just add another CANMIO in, which would be significant overkill, but with the latest CANMIO firmware there may also be a way of using an additional output from the existing module to trigger a dedicated servo driver for the additional turnout - something to look into. I hadn't got as far as looking at what space would be available to include an extra turnout for the fiddle yard, having had a quick look I believe it should fit per your sketch - many thanks for that.

• Regarding the double junction - I was in two minds whether to model the branch as lifted or redundant overgrown track on the branch and plain track in place of the turnouts/crossing or to build the turnouts as non-working. I included the track on the plan for the purposes of aligning the redundant embankment. However, there should be space to attach a small shelf type fiddle yard on the rear of the scenic boards, possibly even diagonally across to the main fiddle yard (just to provide support) that would avoid a sharp return curve. The only issue then would be how to suitably disguise a raised trackbed through the backscene at a fairly acute angle.

• I would really like to have fully working signalling, and have a 'home' signal for the down main that was built by Paul at CR Signals with the position 1, 4-6 feathers (which should ideally have been a theatre) and a call-on. I thought that using multiple feathers for the platform 'starters' would look wrong, and was another reason for not having to signal the branch. If it were connected but either out of use or closed for maintenance I could use the CR theatre but only display one character when the signals are off. I could look to use signals with position 1 for the branch and a stencil for the steel sidings that might be suitably prototypical and look reasonable?

So yes, I'll take all the suggestions on-board and have a look at the plan again to see how feasible it is. Graham (Shanks522 on here) suggested a similar idea with the branch some time ago, but the fiddle yard was in a different format then (cassettes) and would not have been so easy to implement; however with the redesigned fiddle yard and a gap in the middle it should be achievable.

I hope it's quiet at work tonight - I need to do some serious pondering!

Cheers,

Mark

Evening All,

I thought I had already posted this but apparently not; after Pauls suggestions I revisited the track plan the following afternoon and produced this:

post-4669-0-33300600-1523902148_thumb.png]

I haven't included the extension to the branch on the basis that I will just use Peco track for the turnouts, so no need to include it in the Templot plan.

I need to confirm with Tim that i have the cross bracing in the correct positions on the baseboard plans, if I can avoid them when fitting the turnout servos then I may as well make things easier for myself!

Where the steel transfer access line has been added will be sitting on arches; where the turnouts are located I will model the arches as infilled, possibly with small industrial type lettings, and possibly in a disused state. If it looks odd with a mix of open and closed arches then I'll just fill all the arches in; I'll have to build a scale model at some point to judge that. Once the steel line starts to separate from the running lines I plan to have two parallel bridges crossing a road as per the original design.

Would appreciate any further thoughts or comments!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Morning All,

I have had a bit of time with the house empty, so have taken the opportunity to do some work on Bridgtown and Robertsfield, in between sessions reorganising the office.
I was not entirely happy with the shape of the track into the station area on my Bridgetown plan, the platforms curves looked too long and seemed to 'drift' rather than a more purposeful 'meander', not like the prototype that it is based on. I'm still not entirely pleased with the straight track on the approaches at the right end, however this is a necessary compromise to fit the available space whilst maintaining the alignment onto the common fiddle yard. Any additional curvature would result in another 's' curve, which would be difficult to justify scenically and avoid looking contrived.

post-4669-0-55255200-1534406589_thumb.jpg

The track alignment through the station is now more in-keeping with Wolverhampton, with a shorter, sharper curve leading into the straight section where the building and over-bridge complex will be, fortunately just the right place for a scenic break.

This of course meant another full-size print was required to plonk some stock on and get a better idea of how things might look:

post-4669-0-21033600-1534406801_thumb.jpg

post-4669-0-12847800-1534406843_thumb.jpg

post-4669-0-74204600-1534406865_thumb.jpg

post-4669-0-18683300-1534406995_thumb.jpg

I'm pleased to hear that progress is being made on the flat-bottom FiNetrax range from British Finescale - I hope to use these products once available.

The next steps for Bridgtown will be to import the Templot design into Xara and start some more detailed plans for the scenic aspect, which will not be too dissimilar to earlier plans, but will require some tweaking of the canal alignment to avoid baseboard joins.

Cheers,

Mark
  • Like 3

Awesome,

Now to swap that Pendolino for a 86 or 90 with mk2 air-cons!  Only kidding.

Looking at the track plan I initially thought the curves across the junction/station approach were all a bit sharp, but the 1:1 pics of the Pendo rounding the curve give a different impression altogether - really illustrates the benefit of a full size mock up!  Will be good to see trains crawling around those curves.

I think now you just need to have some form of civil engineering (canal, river, church?) to require such a curve in the first place, otherwise why wouldn't they have built a straight approach in the first place - if you see what I mean?

Looks great though.  Looking forward to the build.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

The layout is based c2004 to accommodate both the 'AC Electrics' and Pendolinos, I have some 86s and a 90 in the stock box, awaiting the newer spec Mark II Air Cons.

When I add the scenic plan (still adding the track to Xara) it will show the alignment of the canal and the reasoning for the dog-leg. Ideally would have liked the long sweeping curve past the old crane works, but not the easiest to fit in the footprint I have available. 

Cheers,

Mark