Welcome to the Settle & Carlisle route!

• RMweb Premium

The re-print is with additions? Drat, I've been ignoring it up to now, having managed to get a second-hand copy of the original.

Simon, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The "additions" are a number of pages of colour photos tagged at the back of the book.

Otherwise, it appears to be the same. So worth having at less than a tenner (or if you haven't got a copy), but I paid £25 on publication, and my old copy is just as good!!

Jeff

• 5 weeks later...

OK, I know this is S&C specific, even if a prototype question- (I will put it in prototype questions too).

SWL= Standard Wagon Length

What was the SWL length restriction for the S&C

& the other part of this one-

What is the BWU rating for various engines (3F, 4F, 5MT, 8F, 9F  for the S&C?

(Basic Wagon Unit- the "weight" of each wagon)

I'm playing a bit with Long Marton, and are at ~43 16 ton minerals, which would be 86 BWU if what I understand is correct (a 16 ton mineral = 2 BWU loaded). That's the practical limit for the 8F on the head of the train, but I'd like to try and get it right, rather than modelling on what I think looks right.

James

• RMweb Premium

Hi James.

Can't help you with any of that - it's a bit beyond my "compass" or region of interest. I assume you've been through the usual search engines?

It'll probably be someone like Mike (Stationmaster) who has the necessary background to provide you with an answer.

Jeff

• 11 months later...

Evening all!

I'm in the process of building a layout based on Little Salkeld station which closed in 1970. The layout is is pretty mature now and one of the final activities is to scratch build the station buildings.

It doesn't take much googling to see that the S&C was one of the Midland lines that retained a dark red and cream livery scheme for its buildings through into BR days.

To that end I wondered if anybody could advise the best matching colours and manufacturers to use for for the dark red and cream? - I'll also most likely keep them dull and def not gloss!

Thank you in advance

Regard

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening all!

I'm in the process of building a layout based on Little Salkeld station which closed in 1970. The layout is is pretty mature now and one of the final activities is to scratch build the station buildings.

It doesn't take much googling to see that the S&C was one of the Midland lines that retained a dark red and cream livery scheme for its buildings through into BR days.

To that end I wondered if anybody could advise the best matching colours and manufacturers to use for for the dark red and cream? - I'll also most likely keep them dull and def not gloss!

Thank you in advance

Regard

Paul

Hi Paul.

I've just noticed your post on here - 2 months after the event! 

I haven't got round to building my own station buildings yet. I suggest you send a PM to "mike61680" - he has a fairly well completed layout of Dent station. I'm not saying he'll be able to help but it's worth a try - IF you haven't already done the painting!

Jeff

Archived