Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Train Spotting... At Work

Goole? Do those boxes perched on river bridges feel a bit precarious to work in?

(by the way, Google thinks Goole is a typo for Google!)

I don't work there, my friend's resident at Goole Bridge now. The first time you're on a bridge like this (I did a lot of work on Hull Bridge when I worked for GrantRail), it's a bit disconcerting how it moves, but they feel quite solid!

I was based at Toton from 1007 - 2004, took loads of pictures and was often accused of bring a spotter.

Here are a few of the pictures, with links to Flickr and more of the same wagons:

BSA 910587  images taken during a visit to Immingham Carriage and Wagon, a small shed with a great bunch of lads.  The BSA had bolsters and hard rubbery chocks that could be put in position for moving coils

BSA 910587

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55938574@N03/9968943914/in/set-72157635951356456

BZA 900002

BZA 900002

• 3 weeks later...

Going in to Kings Cross on Sunday evening, I had a few minutes to spare before heading off to Waterloo. Outside, on the newly exposed front facade wall, I found this plaque.

post-2049-0-01595500-1382377764_thumb.jpg

Moving slightly to the right, looking through the new exit to Kings Cross Square.

But - look closely at platform 5.......

post-2049-0-18659400-1382377770_thumb.jpg

....and this is what was there

post-2049-0-96594000-1382377774_thumb.jpg

post-2049-0-43713900-1382377780_thumb.jpg

post-2049-0-30454200-1382377785_thumb.jpg

post-2049-0-26944200-1382377977_thumb.jpg

post-2049-0-42465700-1382377795_thumb.jpg

However, in the centre (!) of the train was this strange.....coach?....

post-2049-0-95038600-1382377801_thumb.jpg

post-2049-0-44108400-1382377808_thumb.jpg

post-2049-0-76585000-1382377813_thumb.jpg

And on the rear was the obligatory diesel

post-2049-0-88592300-1382377823_thumb.jpg

post-2049-0-61149200-1382377829_thumb.jpg

Note the different Works Plate now carried

post-2049-0-59783000-1382377835_thumb.jpg

(this reads: BRUSH SULZER CLASS 47 LOCOMOTIVE 1963-2013 50 YEARS OF SERVICE)

All pictures were taken with my HTC phone camera, so apologies for poor quality.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I passed through King's Cross mid morning on Sunday and the Black 5's were alongside each other on the stops on 4 and 5 with the half rake of Mk1's behind each.  47245 was tucked away on the loco sidings well out of the way.

They were filming a sequence for something set in wartime (BR Black 5's and Mk 1's, oh dear... :nono:) with lots of children dressed as wartime evacuees aboard.

When I came back later the full train was formed up presumably ready to head for home on platform 5 and was attracting a lot of attention!!

post-6910-0-89865800-1382430909_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I heard later yesterday that it was a film with someone called Cumberbatch? 'Fraid I don't know who, but it is a rare surname and I work with a guy of the same name!

Stewart

Here you go Stewart, and everyone else - all (?) is explained  (wartime London terminus with overhead wires? hmm, just like that scene 'somewhere in Egypt' in 'Young Winston' :jester: )

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/438236/Keira-Knightley-and-Benedict-Cumberbatch-go-back-in-time-as-they-film-The-Imitation-Game

My Office at Kettering backs onto the railway line, just near the brige which is about to under go 3 months of work.

Regular sightings are East Midlands Trains, Bartons Aggregates and a cement train with what looks like a loading wagon somewhere in the formation

Lesser spottings include the measurement train, the de-leaver thing, Tornado, Royal Train, and several track maintenance units

One spotting this morning which was most unusual was a Colas Liveried Loco Hauling a Scot Rail set of 3/4 vehicles I think, with two blue painted full brakes as I would describe them, one at each end

Sorry for the rubbish descriptions but I am a steamer, not a diesel man

I heard later yesterday that it was a film with someone called Cumberbatch? 'Fraid I don't know who, but it is a rare surname and I work with a guy of the same name!

Stewart

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/438236/Keira-Knightley-and-Benedict-Cumberbatch-go-back-in-time-as-they-film-The-Imitation-Game

Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley it would seem!

Whilst A list and celebrity usually leave me cold, Cumberbatch is genuinely a fantastic actor. He's probably most famous for his portrayal of Sherlock Holmes in the BBC's 21st century adaptation, which is highly recommended if you haven't already seen the series! He also appears in War Horse, and is also the voice of the Necromanser (and Smaug) in the Hobbit trilogy.

A shame about the livery anachronism, but I am usually more impressed by the films that go out of their way to get it correct. I think that its the latest incarnation of 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' that portrays a bustling Paddington station with, as far as I can tell, appropriate stock. Presumably filmed at the Severn Valley with some manipulation.

I always hope to see steam engines at the London terminals, unfortunately though I most frequently use London Bridge, Charing Cross and St Pancras, which rarely, if ever see steam. My Dad worked near Victoria for a year or so and would occasionally send me photos of Clan Line, though the best I have managed here is seeing the VSOE stock sandwiched between two diesels.

My Office at Kettering backs onto the railway line, just near the brige which is about to under go 3 months of work.

Regular sightings are East Midlands Trains, Bartons Aggregates and a cement train with what looks like a loading wagon somewhere in the formation

Lesser spottings include the measurement train, the de-leaver thing, Tornado, Royal Train, and several track maintenance units

One spotting this morning which was most unusual was a Colas Liveried Loco Hauling a Scot Rail set of 3/4 vehicles I think, with two blue painted full brakes as I would describe them, one at each end

Sorry for the rubbish descriptions but I am a steamer, not a diesel man

Whereabouts is your office LNWR...? Next time I work the Bardons I'll give you a toot and a wave!

The train you see with the loading wagon is one of the LaFarge self discharge aggregates sets, it's actually used to offload the stone at places like Luton, Radlett, Banbury and Northampton.

Whereabouts is your office LNWR...? Next time I work the Bardons I'll give you a toot and a wave!

The train you see with the loading wagon is one of the LaFarge self discharge aggregates sets, it's actually used to offload the stone at places like Luton, Radlett, Banbury and Northampton.

Kettering Venture park, CarillionWSP. When traveling west its the offices to the left just before you reach the overhead signal gantry thats going to be replaced shortly for the electrification upgrade. The bridge then is just a bit further up, they have recently installed the tempoary footbridge for pedestrians

The bardons ironically has been sat for about an hour for some reason outside but has now moved on, but not before the Castle cement train passed through, missed the loco as I sit with my back to the window sadly.

Ah that explains the unloading rather than loading wagon then. It is interesting to see where that ends up in the train formation as it has been last, in the middle and once directly behind the locomotive.

The blue circle cement wagons have now just stopped in the same place as the bardons did, loco is hidden behind the houses darn it!!

The other thing we do get here on occasion is the twin bogie tankers.

David

Righto David - got you now... will give you a toot when I'm next on the day Bardons, which is what you've just been looking at out of your window! From the timing, it sounds like it'll be the 6M54 Thorney Mill - Bardon Hill empties going north. If the Angerstein ran last night you might see that going by your window also heading north in an hour or two (6M79). Both of these are Rugby jobs, as is the 'Bow' job which passes your place on it's way to and from London. The Cement tanks go south with a Hope driver who gets releived at Kettering by a Bedford man and vice-virsa with the empties.

As for the LaFarge offloader, it's position in the train all depends how the train is put back together at the various yards it visits once the offloading is finished, shunting can be a bit trickey if there are thirty or more hoopers in the train. These are in sets of five with a continous rubber belt passing along the chassis. It doesn't really matter where in the train it is, it'll always be put where it'sneeded for offloading. Luton is by far the worst when it comes to shunting as running round them is a very tight operation and the only way to get all the sets in and out of the unloading siding is to have wagons at both ends of the loco. When the empties get back to Mountsorrel, the offloader (also known as the 'chute') is put to one side and a drone loco or the resident 08 takes the empty hoppers under the loading gear.

I shall listen out for the toot, but that wont be until at least next Tuesday as I finish today to go get married at the weekend!!

The track cleaning unit passed through an hour ago with two EWS locos, 6 somethign on the numbers

The blue circles had a freightliner hauling

What does the Angerstein consist of then?

Its quite amazing what i have just learnt about a train I have seen running past now for four years and not known anything more than it passes by regularly. It sounds as if the Luton destination is not very desireable!!

Stewart

as its such a rare name i know who you mean, cant be too many in comms in London?

I shall listen out for the toot, but that wont be until at least next Tuesday as I finish today to go get married at the weekend!!

The track cleaning unit passed through an hour ago with two EWS locos, 6 somethign on the numbers

The blue circles had a freightliner hauling

What does the Angerstein consist of then?

Its quite amazing what i have just learnt about a train I have seen running past now for four years and not known anything more than it passes by regularly. It sounds as if the Luton destination is not very desireable!!

Congratulations and best wishes for the weekend!

The Angerstein job (6O59 southbound loaded, 6M79 northbound empty) is usually twenty bogie hoppers and is one of our regular runners. Another regular being the Thorney Mill which I'm working southbound as 6V48 tonight, get relief at Acton Canal Wharf... I'll try not to keep the noise down through Kettering...!

The Luton isn't everyone's favourite job as it keeps getting retimed and nealry always runs late. Once you get back to Mountsorrel it's a real pain in the butt getting the loco back to Bardon Hill if it's due for fuel... sometimes you sit in Luton Yard staring at the sighnal for up to five hours.... there's only so much food you can eat / tea you can drink / mags you can read before tedium sets in...

I commute from Peterborough to Cambridge every day. Tonight there was this, thanks to a very understanding boss I got away early in time to see it.

Every now and then there will be something stabled at Ely. Often one of the 7MT's, if not the the 47 and 57 with the Statesman Rail set. For a while there was a pair of 37's between Cambridge and Peterborough.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am back at work a married man and a bit more train spotting done today, this time on the East Coast Main Line during a site visit, stupidly forgot my camera though

Spottings were EWS 66007 on a freight, which comprised two axle wagons loaded with what looked like container boxes/blocks of concrete, could not get close enough to see the load properly.

Otherwise there was the HST East Coast set that stormed through not long after I had seen the 7.40am ish up departure from Biggleswade to Kings Cross, made up of two 4 car sets.

So I am back at work . . . .  and a bit more train spotting done today, this time on the East Coast Main Line during a site visit . . .

Spottings were EWS 66007 on a freight, which comprised two axle wagons loaded with what looked like container boxes/blocks of concrete, could not get close enough to see the load properly.

. . .

The two axle wagons you saw are loaded with concrete building blocks made by a company called 'Plasmor' - http://www.plasmor.co.uk, and the trains travel along the East Coast Mailine from Great Heck in East Yorkshire, to Biggleswade or Bow.

P.S. Congratulations on your wedding.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you :)

So am in work and the Bardons has just gone past with a toot, plenty of East Midlands movements as ever, but an unusual one as well, A Red Diesel Warship/Kettle thing on the line pulling bulk freight wagons, any one know anything about this?

Also saw another EWS working the Biggleswade area concrete block frieght, pictures to come at some point

David

Archived