SQL errors

• RMweb Premium

Is it just me or are others having the same problem? Over the last week or so I seem to be increasingly getting failures to load pages on RMweb with varying (obscure to some) SQL error messages. Is the SQL server overloaded and dumping excess requests?

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

It's not just you - I've had the same problem today (and the day before yesterday, and .....). But it seems to be getting worse or is it just getting more frustrating that it has started again?

I think the latter. It doesn't seem to be any worse, just it's started happening again. I'm sure Andy is on the case.

This may be why there have been a few duplicate topics today, slow loading, press "post" again?

Rob

Not only am I getting more but I'm also getting a rash of new posts that just don't get posted. Either I get the green flashing things (then it is 50/50 whether it will disappear into the ether) or I get a dreaded SQL message....

Very frustrating when my favourite bb suffers like this....let's see if this works!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Not only am I getting more but I'm also getting a rash of new posts that just don't get posted. Either I get the green flashing things (then it is 50/50 whether it will disappear into the ether) or I get a dreaded SQL message....

Very frustrating when my favourite bb suffers like this....let's see if this works!

Best, Pete.

Yep, I thought I was immune to the dreaded SQL, but the last few days have seen a plethora of the damn things. The 3 green flashing things, as Pete mentioned, seem to be a "countdown to doom"! If your post isn't saved and on-screen within 20 seconds then you've had it!

Nevermind - just remember the good old days in the early 80s when we waited minutes for a tape to load a simple programme onto our Acorn Electron, Commodore 64 or Sinclair Spectrum. We had patience then!

Jeff

...Nevermind - just remember the good old days in the early 80s when we waited minutes for a tape to load a simple programme onto our Acorn Electron, Commodore 64 or Sinclair Spectrum. We had patience then!

Luxury! Time was when a twenty four hour turn around from submitting punched cards to receiving your output* was considered quick.

Nick

* Often all it said was "Error on line 1".

• RMweb Premium

Luxury! Time was when a twenty four hour turn around from submitting punched cards to receiving your output* was considered quick.

Nick

* Often all it said was "Error on line 1".

You are right, Nick. I remember punched cards. I also remember thinking that being able to type Fortran programs on a "teletype" - seemed like I was typing them onto a large bog roll (!!) - was luxury. Those were the days. Umm. Oh well, we all show our age!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

You are right, Nick. I remember punched cards. I also remember thinking that being able to type Fortran programs on a "teletype" - seemed like I was typing them onto a large bog roll (!!) - was luxury. Those were the days. Umm. Oh well, we all show our age!

Jeff

I also remember punching out code one character at a time on cards inserted in a large cast metal mechanical device , dubbed 'The Tank' in my workplace.

After the demise of this practise I started to read, with envy, of modellers using the resultant 'chards' to represent stone or brickwork on model buildings. There again, I'd never have had the patience to undertake such intricate work.

I've had the SQL error messages intermitently over the last few days, but never severe enough interruption to warrant me troubling Andy, second attempts usually getting me connected to RMWeb.

Regards,

John

Getting SQL messages quite often.

Page freezes often and non loading a lot ( I use 4 different computer platforms, all with the same problem).

The gremlins are still artwork in there somewhere! :-(

Cheers

Dave

Nothing new to say really, but just to confirm - performance definitely not brilliant, with failures to connect and then general slowness and SQL pink message.

Small morale booster - it's because the performance is normally so solid that we tend to notice when it isn't.

I'm with Virgin Media, I had this problem as well. But since I re-booted my modem I have had no problems.

It maybe needs repeating for those who are unfamiliar with the technical side. The reported SQL errors are an issue with the server, they have nothing whatsoever to do with your ISP, your browser, or anything beteen you and the server. Indeed, receiving a page with such an error message is an indication that everything between you and the server is working.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

It isn't perfect at present. But it also isn't what Andy Y is content with, nor Jim in Ohio, I'm sure.

What it is - is free. Keep the faith.

I think that's a very good point Ian. The Forum is free and, as has been previously mentioned, it's generally an excellent service. Those of us of a "certain age" are quite happy to be patient. I don't think anyone is being over-critical - just reporting something that, I'm sure, Andy already knows about.

As a matter of interest, did the Forum suffer from problems like these pre-end 2011 (when I fully signed up)? In the days of Tbyte storage, surely the problem can't be with the increased membership numbers? Just curious!

Jeff

Jeff

I must have been lucky as my Teletype (110 baud maximum speed!) also had a punched tape read facility - much quicker than punched cards. Any data to be stored was saved onto an 8 inch floppy drive, with a huge capacity of 128KB IIRC. I can remember my delight when my system was upgraded to a pair of 12 inch Winchester drives, each with a capacity of 10MB. Luxury!

110 baud, 8" floppies, luxury indeed! Mind you, paper tape had another benefit over punched cards which you only discovered when you tripped over and your box of 2000 cards helpfully re-arranged itself all over the floor :scratchhead: All this, of course, when SQL was only a glimmer in some researcher's eye.

Nick

Perhaps the admins should instal a notice that says "X days since the last site crash" since it happens so frequently.

Whilst I don't come here that often (and only lurk at that), it seems that every other time I'm here there's a problem.

It also doesn't help also that my original sign in doesn't work any more (despite me successfully resetting my password, so I had to make a new one just to make this post!

Someone mentioned that the site is free, but the site is sponsored, and anyways thats a poor excuse for the site being a bug ridden mess. The old site was a much better experience, so the new one has been a disaster to be frank.

It's a shame because there a some really great contributors to this forum, and they really need a decent place to post.

Perhaps the admins should instal a notice that says "X days since the last site crash" since it happens so frequently.

Whilst I don't come here that often (and only lurk at that), it seems that every other time I'm here there's a problem.

It also doesn't help also that my original sign in doesn't work any more (despite me successfully resetting my password, so I had to make a new one just to make this post!

Someone mentioned that the site is free, but the site is sponsored, and anyways thats a poor excuse for the site being a bug ridden mess. The old site was a much better experience, so the new one has been a disaster to be frank.

It's a shame because there a some really great contributors to this forum, and they really need a decent place to post.

No matter where you go on the internet, problems will always occur. Andy has stated why the forum has it's glitches and he has clearly stated everytime that it is being worked on. We all know that somethings are not a quick fix and take time.

Sorry you have had an unfortunate experience on here with your account but your comment is overly harsh.

Also If you knew the reason behind the BRM involvement then you would certainly take back your comment.

If I were you I would go and do some research before criticising the forum and who runs it.

Perhaps you should learn the meaning of the term "crash"? We've had some down time resulting from hackers and we do see the odd error or two, but crashes are alltogether much rarer.

Maybe you don't come here often enough to notice, but most of us aren't complaining.

Nick

It isn't perfect at present. But it also isn't what Andy Y is content with, nor Jim in Ohio, I'm sure.

What it is - is free. Keep the faith.

Very true but I don't think anyone is blaming Andy or indeed Jim.

Let me give you an example, Ian. yesterday morning I spent between 20 and 25 mins composing a reply which contained some calculations I had done previously (not to mention my usual witty, pithy prose style.... :drag: ). I hit post and the reply totally disappeared. After enormous research and 25 mins of my time I was a bit disappointed. I had to go outside and have a cigarette which foreshortened my life span by another two minutes....I'm running short already.

Trust you understand.

Best, Pete.

Maybe you don't come here often enough to notice, but most of us aren't complaining.

Nick

That's true too. Do you want Andy and Jim to go along thinking everything in the back yard is hunky dory?

If so please don't say anything at all if you ever get a problem..... I think you'll find that they'd rather be aware of any issues particularly one I've never experienced before - i.e. losing a post.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

You only have to read through this thread to "feel" the attitude of the "die-hard" RMwebber. Yes, we like to have trouble-free service but we are also aware that nothing is perfect and that Andy and the engineers will always do their best to fix things. We report problems and, on the whole, are a very patient, understanding group.

Even discussions relating to dodgy models have been conducted amicably, though we don't always agree with each other (now that WOULD be boring!).

Again, I think a lot of this is an age thing. Hands up if you are over 50... :no: (I'm in denial!)

Jeff

Archived