SQL errors

Hello all,

I don't understand all this technical mumbo jumbo, but I hope that moving servers helps fix the SQLs. But I do hope that the forum keeps the same format as we have now.

OzzyO.

And Java is really west of Krakatoa but it didn't make such a catchy film title so they 'moved' it.

[pedant] It's the other way round Mike - Krakatoa is west of Java, not east as the film title went. But I know you knew that really! (Unless of course it was actually east of Java before the eruption and west afterwards :jester: ) [/pedant]

But I do hope that the forum keeps the same format as we have now.

It'll be exactly the same. It's just a case of all of the existing files being shifted over to new servers and the domain name pointing to the new location. "Just", he says!

Mostly I don't have many squirrels but if I press a page number rather than 'next' then they turn up. I have also taken to closing RMweb if it doesn't get to where I want to go quickly and reopening it afresh and its speed goes back to normal.

Unfortunately, Mick, the first is probably just a coincidence. Many of us find that the errors occur in response to almost any type of request. As to the second, closing and reopening is just giving you something to do while the problem goes away. It's fairly well established that the pattern is that when long delays are encountered, they eventually lead to SQLerrors. In most cases a repeat request then sees everything back to normal speed. As I and others have said ealier, the problem is nothing to do with anything at your end.

Nick

As for other forums, ... Nearly all are mere copies either started by miscreants or rejects, or just simply far too focused for my broad interests

One or two might fall into that highlighted description, but it's doing the others a bit of a dis-service to say the least.

... I've read people say that this is a free forum and that we should not complain and put up with it but that disregards one of the most important marketing tools for winning and retaining 'customers' - satisfaction and to some degree, reputation.

It also disregards something very relevant (IMHO), the value of goodwill - performance issues can be equally or more offputting to contributors, the 'givers' if you like, not just to those who mainly 'take'. That choice of words isnt meant to be derogatory or divisive btw, merely a straightforward way of making the point.

• RMweb Premium

Accessing:

http://www.rmweb.co....ngs-agm/unread/

(accessed by right clicking on topic in "View New Content" with "New Since Last Visit" option selected).

26th June 2012 @ 13:40 BST

errors:

mySQL query error: SELECT * FROM ip_topic_ratings WHERE rating_tid=56911 and rating_member_id=7159

and

mySQL query error: SELECT cs_value, cs_updated FROM ip_cache_store WHERE cs_key='mail_processing'

Had to exit Firefox (v 13.0.1) and log-in to RMWeb again to correct.

It'll be exactly the same. It's just a case of all of the existing files being shifted over to new servers and the domain name pointing to the new location. "Just", he says!

You make it sound so easy!!!!

Laurence

You make it sound so easy!!!!

Laurence

It is for Andy as he puts all the files in huge boxes and makes us shift them! Oh and we have to put them all in the right place as well. :rtfm:

• RMweb Premium

Why don't we get the RBS IT team to have a look at the problem?

There is a difference here - up until the link with Warners, the site was running with voluntary donations - with RBS (and my former employers on the Black Horse) they have been kept alive by compulsory donations from every taxpayer in the land - that'll exclude Jimmy Carr then :nono:

I've started to get errors too, so searched on here and lo and behold, it's not my fault.

I always tend to blame my own computer, or lack of technical knowledge first.

To save me searching this entire thread, when is the move taking place?

• RMweb Gold
I've started to get errors too

Hi Jeff,

If they have only just started, you have done very well. :)

Andy mentioned a time around the Olympics for the move, but I don't think it is yet finalized. The UK internet is likely to be very busy around then, so it may change.

regards,

Martin.

I have diligently read recent posts to this topic and now my head hurts.

Maybe it's time the whole thread was replaced with a large friendly notice saying "DON'T PANIC, it's not your fault and there's nothing you can do about it". Better still, replace the error pages with something similar.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Just had a double decker S.Q.L.

What is the most that you've had in one go?

Four (on one window, at the same time as three on another - but I won't count that as seven cos that would be cheating). To explain when the board was really slow I would open a second window so i could be reading one while waiting for the other to open or close a thread - but this seemed to cause more sqls so I have reverted to just one window open at once for RMweb - most of the time ;)

I think the answer to it when it happens is to stop pressing buttons for a moment or two and let it sort itself out. Andy has posted this before and I would suspect the advice still stands. Pressing more buttons is what leads to the double postings at times and more than likely adds to the problem. Patience is being tested on us all but just do something else (anything) for a few seconds or a couple of minutes and it will have returned to full working order. It does for me but I still am frustrated by it much the same as everyone else.

EDIT: This took several seconds to load so in the meantime I copied it just in case it went walkabout.

Having been online with various forums since 1995 as moderator and more commonly user, the reliability of this forum is a bad as I have ever encountered; regular SQL errors, it is slow and clunky and crammed with useless 'features'. Maybe fun for a gagdet geek or someone who like to tinker with misfiring...

The sooner you abandon this host, or use a much-reduced simplified system, the better, even if you lose interconnectivity with the history of users.

Of course you probably cannot count the number of people who give up on reading or contributing, because they just don't put up with the appalling reliability.

Just my tuppence worth.

Rob (NZ) (about 70% success in accessing the forum, and it is always slow, no problems with other common sites)

• RMweb Gold
The sooner you abandon this host, or use a much-reduced simplified system, the better,

Hi Rob,

RMweb is a victim of its own success. There was a limit to the hosting capacity available while it was supported by member donations. The present hosting provider has worked tirelessly to keep RMweb going as well as it does, having rescued it from total failure on a mainstream UK provider a few years ago.

However, now that RMweb is commercially owned, Andy has announced that it is moving to an Irish cloud hosting provider within the next few weeks and will be having a significant investment in additional server capacity.

The current board software has for many years been known to be notoriously unreliable and server-unfriendly and was an unfortunate choice. But there isn't an obvious alternative providing all the present functions, which many members would not want to lose. Even if there was an alternative, the task of conversion would be a major challenge causing significant disruption to members and the likely loss of valuable archive material which members have contributed over the years, representing a considerable investment in their time and effort.

We are all hoping that the additional server resources will enable the present software to run reliably, so that such a change is not necessary. There are many other boards using the same software which do manage to run successfully, so there is no intrinsic reason why RMweb can't be one of them.

regards,

Martin.

(No connection with RMweb, but also an owner and member of several forums for many years.)

Archived