SQL errors

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps you should learn the meaning of the term "crash"? We've had some down time resulting from hackers and we do see the odd error or two, but crashes are alltogether much rarer.

Nick

That's an interesting point - can anyone remember when RMweb last crashed because I'm blowed if I can (hacking close-downs and software updates don't count of course).

The problems some of us suffer are more of annoyance than anything life threatening of course but at times they can be very frustrating indeed. However it wouldn't even occur to me that either Andy or Jim can be 'blamed' for such events - in fact exactly the opposite because we know that both do sterling work, often over the sort of hours that most people wouldn't tolerate, sorting problems to enable us to get back to our favoured arena of relaxation and interest.

The only relevant question is do we need to make details of such events known to Andy or whoever; do we need to note that they are occuring and at what frequency - is such information any help or of any value?

• RMweb Gold

You only have to read through this thread to "feel" the attitude of the "die-hard" RMwebber. Yes, we like to have trouble-free service but we are also aware that nothing is perfect and that Andy and the engineers will always do their best to fix things. We report problems and, on the whole, are a very patient, understanding group.

Even discussions relating to dodgy models have been conducted amicably, though we don't always agree with each other (now that WOULD be boring!).

Again, I think a lot of this is an age thing. Hands up if you are over 50... :no: (I'm in denial!)

Jeff

I can remember when 50 was an age and not some sort of diesel loco - which definitely means I'm over 50 (and I don't mean over a diesel).

Perhaps the admins should instal a notice that says "X days since the last site crash" since it happens so frequently.

Whilst I don't come here that often (and only lurk at that), it seems that every other time I'm here there's a problem.

It also doesn't help also that my original sign in doesn't work any more (despite me successfully resetting my password, so I had to make a new one just to make this post!

Someone mentioned that the site is free, but the site is sponsored, and anyways thats a poor excuse for the site being a bug ridden mess. The old site was a much better experience, so the new one has been a disaster to be frank.

It's a shame because there a some really great contributors to this forum, and they really need a decent place to post.

That does come across as somewhat exaggerated. I do listen to when people are observing errors as long as they're factual and not sensationalist. The reality is, if you're like most other people whose 'sign in doesn't work' is that you are confusing the login name and display name you chose at registration.

I don't want to go into specific detail at the moment but future developments are under discussion anyway. So; I am aware and I am looking at solutions.

• RMweb Premium

I can remember when 50 was an age and not some sort of diesel loco - which definitely means I'm over 50 (and I don't mean over a diesel).

Mike, I think I'd already deduced you were over 50. But, putting all the clues together, I conclude you can't be a day over 55 :jester: - I'm sure I saw you on the top of the prototype Deltic in York. Lol. Must be these SQL errors - they are addling my brain and ability to do simple arithmetic!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Someone mentioned that the site is free, but the site is sponsored, and anyways thats a poor excuse for the site being a bug ridden mess.

Slow performance is NOT the same as a "bug ridden mess", as anyone who understood that concept would know.

The site IS free, you don't pay to access it, so whether it's sponsored or not is irrelevant.

To expand on my rather pithy reply to Pete, I'm sure Andy and Jim find error reports useful, particularly when they identify some problem that wasn't known previously. We've been told the current situation is that they are fully aware of the "SQL Error" issue and are trying to track down the problem. In the meantime, I believe most are taking the sensible approach of not bothering to report these errors because to do so would contribute nothing new. If/when at some point Andy tells us that they think they've found a fix, it will once again be useful to them to know that either we're still getting these errors or, hopefully, that we haven't seen any since the fix.

btw Pete, I sympathise with your problem of losing a post this morning, I'm sure it happens to many of us. It has happened to me once or twice, though mostly I manage to mitigate it by frequently copying my text to the clipboard. That way, if anything goes wrong, rather than starting from scratch, I can just paste the text back in to a new reply. I do this quite often if it is a long post, but always immediately before hitting the post button.

To do this: make sure the cursor is somewhere in your text, press Ctrl-A to select everything (Cmd-A on a Mac), then Ctrl-C (Cmd-C on a Mac) to copy it to the clipboard. If you need to past it back into a new post, put the cursor in the edit box and press Ctrl-V (Cmd-V on a Mac).

Nick

(another over-50) :yes:

Guest dilbert

That's an interesting point - can anyone remember when RMweb last crashed because I'm blowed if I can (hacking close-downs and software updates don't count of course).

There were some disc hardware issues (which are always a ###### to fix) for a few days between Xmas 2011 and the NY...

The SQueaL problems are a pain though (and appear to arrive in batches)... dilbert

...The SQueaL problems are a pain though (and appear to arrive in batches)...

Yes, indeed, though I venture suggest they are even more of a pain for Andy and Jim and anyone else who is trying to track down the cause. My own first suspects would be MySQL running out of file handles or buffer space, either of which might be caused, for example, by an IPboard programmer failing to close a MySQL connection somewhere deep in the code, though I'm sure such things have already been investigated.

Nick

Last night I was uploading some photos for a message in my thread (about 10 of them), I'm just uploading the last one and SQL turned up. So I did what I have done in the past and hit the reload button, the result 0. As there was no message content no auto save. So about 3/4 hours work down the pan. All you can do is start again. This time I did it in two posts. All now sorted for me.

All I can say is that we will just have to put up with it until the boys can and will get it sorted.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

Usually after a SQL error I can retry and it will work this came up on the third attempt to access a blog

mySQL query error: SELECT * FROM ip_sessions WHERE id='060fa075461183d9d255c1b6eee2a79a'

Some Idea of the issue would help e.g Is it trying to access while a blog is being updated or the number trying to access the same blog?

Don

Very true but I don't think anyone is blaming Andy or indeed Jim.

Let me give you an example, Ian. yesterday morning I spent between 20 and 25 mins composing a reply which contained some calculations I had done previously (not to mention my usual witty, pithy prose style.... :drag: ). I hit post and the reply totally disappeared. After enormous research and 25 mins of my time I was a bit disappointed. I had to go outside and have a cigarette which foreshortened my life span by another two minutes....I'm running short already.

Trust you understand.

Best, Pete.

This has happened to me too, but I have found the majority of the post in the auto-saved bit, which even I managed to find!

Ed

Very true but I don't think anyone is blaming Andy or indeed Jim.

Let me give you an example, Ian. yesterday morning I spent between 20 and 25 mins composing a reply which contained some calculations I had done previously (not to mention my usual witty, pithy prose style.... :drag: ). I hit post and the reply totally disappeared. After enormous research and 25 mins of my time I was a bit disappointed. I had to go outside and have a cigarette which foreshortened my life span by another two minutes....I'm running short already.

Trust you understand.

Best, Pete.

Pete,

If ever I post, I always highlight and copy, just in case there is an error. Then I only need to paste in the reply box and try again.

"Driver errors" appear to me to be much less frequent than "SQL errors", but I've seen them many times before. They appear to happen under similar circumstances from a user's point of view -- send a request by any means (whether by clicking a link, pressing the post button, etc), long delay on response, eventually an error page shows up. I have an impression, though, that I've seen a higher proportion of the Driver errors in the last week or so, though it's still small compared with SQL errors.

Both error types are to do with the software connection to the database, so I doubt we're seeing a new problem.

Nick

Perhaps you can give out more details, Ed?

Best, Pete

Pete, if you look at the two posts I have put in the test area, I hope I have explained what I did. In this case nothing went wrong with the forum, but I logged off leaving the post incomplete and "un-posted". By using the auto-saved facility I found it again when I logged back on and went to reply to my first post. I am aware I am making a hash of explaining this, maybe someone more computer-savvy more than me can explain it better,

All I can say is that if I can get it to work it MUST be easy!

Ed

• RMweb Premium

I must admit, I'm with Steve (and others) in that I always copy any (remotely) long post onto my clipboard, just in case the system goes into SQL (or whatever) mode. Then I never have to worry about losing the post.

Ed, thanks for the reminders re. the Auto Save function.

Hopefully none of these methods will be necessary when the SQLs get sorted.

Thanks,

Jeff

EDIT: Irony...almost lost this during posting ..... an SQL!

I've no doubt at all that Andy & Jim are on the case and are as exasperated as anyone with the performance issues.

By heck, it's becoming frustrating and if anything it's getting worse. I can barely do 10 mins of clicking through stuff before it just stops responding and I get the hourglass. Last night I think I managed 25 mins before it became unavailable and that's the longest uninterupted session I've had in maybe 2-3 weeks.

It's the stop-start nature of it that really wears you down. It flies along perfectly normally for a few mins and then comes to a halt. Come back half an hour later and get another good few mins in before once again it just stops responding.

Done 12 mins this morning and just spent the last 5 mins trying to reconnect - went through the hourglass, then the SQL error, then a total 'HTTP 404 Not Found - the website cannot be found'. Refresh again and then it all connects up as if nothing has happened.

By heck, it's becoming frustrating and if anything it's getting worse.

You're right, that's my finding too Dave but obviously we're aware and monitoring.

The peculiar thing in this case it's not like previous hang-ups where there was a steady decline in performance resulting in a lock-up which would take 5-10 minutes to clear. This time it's sudden but short with a quicker recovery time leading me to believe it's within the software rather than stressing the server.

Archived