GNSR Outside Framed Wagons

Those of us modeling the smaller, pre-grouping railways have a harder time than most finding suitable stock for our layouts. I’m a modeller of the Great North of Scotland Railway and I’ve always had to scratch build or convert to get the often unique wagons and vans they had. Worse I model in H0 where practically everything has to be created from scratch.

So when I heard about 3D printing I thought that perhaps here was a method of making models which could cope with the specificities of the prototype and the low numbers of models that would be wanted. Luckily I found a CAD designer in Denmark, a fellow tram enthusiast, as it happens, who agreed to create models for me as a learning process before he went off and designed Danish tram kits. Thus we have been able to design four separate externally framed GNSR vans (Diagrams 14S, 15S [two types] and 16S). These particular 16’ long, 10’ wheelbase vans were built by the GNSR but were in use throughout both the GNSR and LNER eras and some even lasted into BR days.

We have reproduced all four by creating the two different sides, one for wooden underframe and one for steel underframe and the two different types of ends, one ‘plain’ and one with louvres and sliding panel. Two ends and two sides allow all four of the van types to be built. I attach a photo of primered components of all four pieces. After trying out other manufacturers we found in CWRailways a 3D printer who could guarantee consistency of detail. Using an emery board edges can be very easily tidied up giving a very nice model indeed.

Of course the beauty of 3D printing is that once you have done something in the initial scale (H0 in this case) it is simple for the parts to be reproduced in different scale. Thus while the H0 bodies will be available to members of the British 1:87 Society (and anyone else interested) there are now 00 bodies available to the general public direct from CWRailways at about £10 a model depending on how many are ordered.. They can be contacted here:: cwrailways@gmail.com Their website can be seen here: http://www.chrisjward.co.uk/ If there is a demand for 0 gauge models that can be done too. We are not in this to make any money – the models are being sold on at the cost of printing alone..

Buyers will get two sides and two ends specific to each Van Diagram and must supply their own roof and underframe.

Info on these vans can be got from both Tatlow’s book “An Illustrated History of LNER Wagons†pp150/1 and from the GNSRA’s illustrated pamphlet: “Great North of Scotland Wagons†which can be got from them at their stand at Scottish Shows. (I’m told stocks are low and that a revised edition will appear in due course, though) The pamphlet in particular has many drawings and photos of GNSR wagons along with information on wagon numbers for both the GNSR itself and the LNER period. There are even decals available from Lorenzo Ricotti for the vans here for 3 Euros: lorenzo.ricotti@me.com

If you want any further info please contact me at: kennclark@btinternet.com

Kenneth Clark

Aberdeen

• RMweb Premium

If there is a demand for 0 gauge models that can be done too.

Good luck with this new venture - especially as you model in HO and there can't be much Scottish stock available in that scale.

Regarding 7mm - are you aware of the range of Scottish vehicles produced by Phil Traxson of Port Wynnstay Models shown here

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Port_Wynnstay/standard.htm

His range appears to already include the GNSR van that Chris is producing for you

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Port_Wynnstay/PW%20706(a).JPG

Mike

Going on the spacing of the axleboxes I think this 0 Gauge van is actually a Diagram 17S, a slightly later 18'6" long, 10' wheelbase, steel underframe van of which the GNSR had 275 in service at the time of the Grouping. Our 4 vans are all earlier 18' long, 10' wheelbase vans, two for steel underframe and two for wooden

We haven't done an 0 gauge version though if anyone wants one CWRailways can easily upscale and provide one. That's the advantage of 3D printing. Once you have it in one scale it can be easily reproduced in another. So what started as a desire on my part alone to get an H0 version of these vans for my Dundarg layout has meant that 00 versions are available to the much wider community of 4mm modellers. The only problem is going down in scale as there is a minimum thickness for the parts which may well make, say, N Gauge, problematic.

Many thanks too for posting the photos of the parts. If I could just work out how to post photos I would post a couple of the first vans I have built.

Archived