New Railway (NEED LOTS OF HELP!)

Matthew2h1

Hi Guys

Im on the new RMweb and need help. I have a L shaped layout but have no idea of the track plan. The

dimesions of the two boards are 1600x600 and 800x500 and join together. Could you please help with

ideas. I know i want it to be a modern image layout and i do have a disel shed. It is DCC and have one

Class 37 by Vitrains. Thanks heaps

rolleyes.gif Matthew2h1rolleyes.gif

post-8054-12609121595624_thumb.jpg

Welcome

Interesting shape for a layout, had one like that shape when i was very young. I see alot of people ask for track plans... in a way i think its a bit pointless. Its your model railway and you generally know what you want it to be by your post.

You can create anything you want, fictional, using your imagination, or based on something in the real world or something local.

so really up to you :) and i wish you luck with layout.

Matt's right you need to know what you want to create. So you will be happy with the result. At the moment your a bit like a writer staring at a blank page.

Don't rush the creative processblink.gif look at..dare I say..other folks layout's. Books, magazines. What do you want on your layout? a through station..terminus..marshalling yard?

It took me 5 months of planning and replanning to get to a definite trackplan for my first layout..and..erm there are still bits I may change. So right now my track is screwed to the baceboard. So I can still change things if I need to.

regards,

Shaun

hello there,

well as above, it is your railway so ultimately you decide.

What livery is the 37 in by the way?

But when deciding the plan think of what you want, do you want a terminus station, a good yards kinda arragement. Then just play with it in your head till you get what you want, even better if you have track get that out and set it up.

I'd suggest using the shorter piece of board as the fiddle yard, as this means after the corner there is much more room for track and features.

With you wanting modern image and the diesel shed i would have a fiddle yard on the smaller piece, come out of tunnel or under bridge or something, then round corner into a terminus station. but just before station have a little deisel shed maintence siding. With modern image terminuses can be made very good for operating with addition of DMU's so i would suggest that, plus loco hauled obviously.

But the finer details of course can only come from one person.

Good luck with the layout i hope that has given you some ideas

James

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replys I have tacken a few ideas am a little step closer to finalizing my track plan

I would like some ideas to work on really because i want to get started but dont have the right

ideas. I know i want it to be a modern image disel and rolling stock matainece depot with a small

station prehaps. Could you please send photos of the ideas you guys have it would be much

appreciated. Will take all the ideas and play around with the track until i find something I like

James the Livery of the 37 is SUB-SECTOR

Keep the ideas coming please

P.S There is a picture of my 37 on my other railway and on of my Hornby Select DCC Controller

post-8054-12609330220677_thumb.jpg

post-8054-1260933268225_thumb.jpg

Hi matthew2h1.

Welcome to RM web. I would scrap the station idea and use the smaller board as the fiddle yard and the larger board for a small diesel depot and wagon repair shop. Plenty of stock movement of wagons in and out of the repair shop and locos coming to the depot for fuel/service and stabling. But as the above posters have said its up to you its your layout. I hope this is of some help.

Regards kev icon_thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the replys guys

Have had a bit if thoughtmellow.gif and have dicided to go with the small disel yard and a rolling

stock maitainetece depot but not my final one i might change my mind who knows. Would

like help with names and it will be some where in England/Scotland

Thanks

hi Matthew

i was in the same posistion as yourself and had made baseboards a similar size with a track plan of a terminus station and then on to a track mat style layout.

Luckily i have a bit more space now so i removed the track mat section and am replanning the rest of the layout as someone else has already suggested.

Try your local library they may have some books on trackplans or get a copy of the Hornby or Peco trackplans some are available in magazines as well. try photocopying some track and use it for track planning or mess around with bits of sectional track until you get it right. do not be afraid to let your ideas evolve and change things when you become inspired

hope this helps and good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

had a little clea up so can see my baseboards (see pictures) and thought i would show

you all to get a perspective. Hope you all had a great christmas and all have a happy

new year. Have had a little bit of thought on the trackplan but havent had a chance

to put it on paper. Thanks for the ideas and keep them rolling PLEASE

P.S Sorry about the clutter

post-8054-12618999019414_thumb.jpg

post-8054-12618999527592_thumb.jpg

post-8054-12619000203972_thumb.jpg

Ho Ho Ho

I mean hi

Christmas is over and we are alol getting back to our normal livessad.gif

But i have a big PROBLEM. I want to make a start on my railway because

there is so much suncool.gif i want something to do indoors away from it.

my BIG PROBLEM is my brain has gone to mush on the ideas for a trackplan

. I know its up to me but i really want to use your ideas to help me so

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ME. Thanks heaps

Ho Ho Ho

I mean hi

Christmas is over and we are alol getting back to our normal livessad.gif

But i have a big PROBLEM. I want to make a start on my railway because

there is so much suncool.gif i want something to do indoors away from it.

my BIG PROBLEM is my brain has gone to mush on the ideas for a trackplan

. I know its up to me but i really want to use your ideas to help me so

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ME. Thanks heaps

Try this http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html. I found it last week via the almighty Google (you can see my idea on my thread). biggrin.gif

The only thing you need to do is click on options (when it's loaded up), and type in how much space you have.

Try this http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html. I found it last week via the almighty Google (you can see my idea on my thread). biggrin.gif

The only thing you need to do is click on options (when it's loaded up), and type in how much space you have.

Thanks Faza

Have downloaded it and had a play already but cant afford to buy it so I can only use 50 pieces of track

Anyway have had alot of thought but it is REALLY DOING MY HEAD INangry.gif angry.gif angry.gif . I am getting so annoyed

becauseall i want to do is make a start but my brain has gone to 100% MUSH and they are'nt coming.

Having moreluck on here are enjoying getting to know people in the process. After all I am only 14 and

live in good oldNew Zealand. KEEP THE IDEAS COMING BECAUSE I REALLY WANT AND NEED THEM MORE

THAN YOU THINK. Thanks ALOT for all the ideas you have come up with so far

Yeh I know what you mean about the 50 piece of track, but I found that is you use flexy track it goes further (and is also a hell of a lot cheaper!). It's a bit daunting the first time you use it, but I manage to with no special/ expensive tools (a Xuron rail nipper and a model makers file set - probably around 20 - 25 dollars total for both)

How big are your boards, and what sort of layout are you after?

Are you just going to be running anything, or do you have a specific period/ location in mind?

Hello - have you got a copy of the december issue of railway modeller ? it has a good article on suggested track plans for all kinds of baseboard size - from memory I think there is an L shaped layout in there too.

Worth a gander.

Chris

Yeh I know what you mean about the 50 piece of track, but I found that is you use flexy track it goes further (and is also a hell of a lot cheaper!). It's a bit daunting the first time you use it, but I manage to with no special/ expensive tools (a Xuron rail nipper and a model makers file set - probably around 20 - 25 dollars total for both)

How big are your boards, and what sort of layout are you after?

Are you just going to be running anything, or do you have a specific period/ location in mind?

Hi Faza

thanks the board sizes are at the top of this page and i want my railway to be a modern image yard around this time period

we are in now. I really want my disel shed i have partly constructed with four roads, A feul pump which i am yet to construct

and a wagon works of some sort that i will construct aswell. This will give me optimum movement with the DCC i have

Thanks guys AND KEEP THE IDEAS ROLLING IN PLEASE

No worries Matt.

I'm off work for a few days so if I get chance during my South Park marathon I'll see if I can come up with anything...

Is it N Gauge btw or HO/ OO?

Oh, and do you want continuous or end to end?

No worries Matt.

I'm off work for a few days so if I get chance during my South Park marathon I'll see if I can come up with anything...

Is it N Gauge btw or HO/ OO?

Oh, and do you want continuous or end to end?

Hi Faza

It will be in OO gauge and i will be using mostly flexi track. Have created an idea on Anyrail.

Most likely a fiddle yard to an end

Thanks and keep the ideas ROLLING PLEASE

Cool, lets see what you've got and go from there..

If you click file, then export as, picture, it will save it to your desktop as a .jpeg (I do that then use MS Paint to tweak the building etc), then you can also upload it to this forum

Hi everyone and happy 2010

Faza i have attached the image below and have started to lay it out to see if it will work. I am not cutting

anything until i know it is what i want. To everyone else. Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me with

different ideas i could have. Thanks

post-8054-12622920913368_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone and happy 2010

Faza i have attached the image below and have started to lay it out to see if it will work. I am not cutting

anything until i know it is what i want. To everyone else. Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me with

different ideas i could have. Thanks

I quite like that (I'm as new as you so it's just my opinion) and it looks quite fun, the only thing I see a problem with is the the second track up on the far right, wouldn't that be to small to fit anything other than an 08 shunter on it?

Archived