BR Mk1 Suburban Underframes

I have 2 batches of Bachmann Mk 1 Suburbans - 4 in crimson and 4 in lined maroon. Each batch has 2 brakes, 1 2nd open and 1 2nd compartment. These are basically good models (I already did flush glazing). I have taken it upon myself to rebuild the underframes using Comet components and work is well advanced. However, I have very little info on the details of these coaches. My first assumption was that the Bachmann underframes had the bits in the right place and that all I had to do was change them for the better Comet bits.

P1010005.JPG.7bfab4df7bb78cac1c9bd3b9e5deb6de.JPG

My assumption is in doubt after looking at a picture of a Comet coach that shows the two battery boxes directly opposite one another instead of diametrically opposed as shown in the photo. Can anyone shed light on differences in U/F layout between the coach types?

Thanks

John

Replaced the PB picture.

Edited by brossard

There is evidence that the Brake Seconds had both both battery boxes opposite each other at the brake end (the photo in Parkin certainly shows this). Unfortunately clear side-on photos of underframes are hard to come by, so I couldn't say whether this applies to all of them. The other types appear to have them diagonally on the right, when viewing from the side.

As Bachmann use a standard underframe, their Brake Second looks to be wrong in this respect.

Mark

• 9 years later...

…and back on this subject once again, does anyone have any idea what this lot is for and where it goes - or do we even need it as it may be part of a dual braked arrangement and so on…?

9E186CEE-1F01-4C94-9A06-0BB2E68FCF0A.png.475e408875e0344784cc3e6921ee9a7b.png
For the curious, it it a Comet C50 BR Mk1 underframe detailing  components pack. After that I am none the wiser…

best,

Marcus

Marcus, if you check the pic above you can see where I placed the cone shaped thingies, near the vac cylinder.

The rectangular piece I think is an electrical junction box, I can't say where it went.

The square piece is also associated with electrical and probably goes near the dynamo.

I'll send you more clues.

John

On 13/05/2012 at 02:33, brossard said:

I have 2 batches of Bachmann Mk 1 Suburbans - 4 in crimson and 4 in lined maroon. Each batch has 2 brakes, 1 2nd open and 1 2nd compartment. These are basically good models (I already did flush glazing). I have taken it upon myself to rebuild the underframes using Comet components and work is well advanced. However, I have very little info on the details of these coaches. My first assumption was that the Bachmann underframes had the bits in the right place and that all I had to do was change them for the better Comet bits.

P1010005.JPG.7bfab4df7bb78cac1c9bd3b9e5deb6de.JPG

My assumption is in doubt after looking at a picture of a Comet coach that shows the two battery boxes directly opposite one another instead of diametrically opposed as shown in the photo. Can anyone shed light on differences in U/F layout between the coach types?

Thanks

John

Replaced the PB picture.

Just  a thought. Could it be that the trussing has an extra full depth bay on the 64ft coaches, so that the battery boxes can be opposite each other in the centre bay on these, but not on the 57ft's as Bachmann do?

John.

34 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Just  a thought. Could it be that the trussing has an extra full depth bay on the 64ft coaches, so that the battery boxes can be opposite each other in the centre bay on these, but not on the 57ft's as Bachmann do?

John.

Ah John, so much water under the bridge since the original post.  I moved on to 0 gauge a few years ago.  If what I have done before is of use I'm happy to contribute.

The coaches I was working on got finished and have since moved to a good home.

John

• Friendly/supportive 1

The two "cone shaped things" are the direct admission valves for the brake cylinders. The small square is the lamp resistance box usually found near the other box which is the Wolverton regulator box, which sits on the frame the hangs down from the under frame.

• Like 1