KT22 9BL

Opening Times

Saturday 29th September 10:30 - 17:30, advance ticket holders from 10:15

Sunday 30th September 10:00 - 16:30, advance ticket holders from 9:45

Admission (two day ticket)

Members £5

Non-Members £8

Partners Free

Group tickets £4.00 per person for members only, for a group of four or more members

Sales of Advance Tickets including Group Tickets commenced on 1st July and are available through the Society website: www.scalefour.org

Layouts

Brixcombe - GWR Pre-Grouping or Interwar Years, Farnham MRC

Colinton - BR (Sc) 1960s, Alistair Dickson

Dorchester Junction - GWR Broad Gauge, Sam Bee

Kyle of Sutherland - BR (Sc) 1955-62, Stuart Holt

New Mere - BR (W) ex S&D 1950s, Chris Longley

Sankley - BR (S) 1948-50, Woking MRS

Western Road Diesel Depot - BR (WR) 1970s, Mike Anson

Quai:87 - P87 Continental, Brian Harrap

Wansbeck Road - 2mm Finescale (Guest Layout) NER 1950s, Mick Simpson

Demonstrations and Help Desks

Exhibition Information & Help Desk

Scalefour Society Stand and Membership

Modelling the Pre-Grouping Era, Scottish Line Societies

Modelling the BR period, Ray Warner

Modelling the D&E Period, Justin Newitt and Jon Newham

Getting Started in P4, John McAleely

Modelling Flat Bottomed Track, Colin Craig

Templot Help Desk, Tony Wilkins

Soldering Help Desk, Roger Sawyer

Chassis & Wheel Conversion, Mike Ainsworth and Philip Hall

Laser Cutting, Jonathan Buckie

Layout Planning, Martin Nield

Visiting Societies

2mm Association

Broad Gauge Society

Caledonian Railway Association

Great North of Scotland Association

Highland Railway Society

Traders

247 Developments; ABS Models; Acc+Ess Protocab; Alan Gibson; Ambis Engineering; Branchlines; Brassmasters; C&L Finescale; Cambrian Models; Comet Models; Coopercraft; Dart Castings; Dave Bradwell; David Geen; DC Kits; Eileen's Emporium; Exactoscale P4 Track Co.; Extreme Etchings/Shawplan; Falcon Figures; G W Models; Golden Age Models; GraModels; Green Scene; High Level Kits; Hobby Holidays; Ian Penberth (sprung diesel components); Inter-City Models; Judith Edge Kits; Kevin Robertson Books; London Road Models; Martin Finney Loco Kits; Mike King Southern Drawings; Mike Thorp Photographs; MMS Models; Model Railway Developments; Mousa Models (Bill Bedford); Parkside Dundas; Phoenix Precision Paints; Prickly Pear; Railroom Electronics; Road Transport Images; Roger Carpenter; Roxey Mouldings; RT Models; South Eastern Finecast; Southwark Bridge Models; Wild Swan Publications; Wizard Models; ZTC Controls.

Please mark the date in your diaries, the Scalefour Society looks forward to welcoming you there.

All the Best

Danny Cockling

Membership Secretary

• 1 month later...

Some links to some of the layouts:

Brixcombe

Kyle of Sutherland

Quai:87

Sankley about half way down

Western Rd Diesel Depot

Wansbeck Rd

But I couldn't find any links to the others: Colinton, Dorchester Junction, Elcot Rd & New Mere. i always like to have an idea on what I'm going to see before I get there.

I have to say there is not much of interest to me in the layouts on show.

Likewise, no LNWR, NER, other pre-grouping, too much GWR/WR (any is too much!).

However, S4um is also about the demonstrators, traders, meeting other model makers, etc. and is always a good all round event. Still well worth a visit.

Jol

Guest oldlugger

Thanks for that - so you won't be going then?

I wish I could go Rod! There seems plenty of interest to me, especially Wansbeck Road in 2mm FS which looks lovely. As we all know Scaleforum is not Railex or Warley; it's a gathering place for like minded modellers who admire, and want to learn more, about P4 and other fine scale in a convivial environment. I don't think it matters if a wider selection of regions is represented; I know how hard it is to find P4 layouts (and other fine scale layouts) that can be exhibited at one point in the year. Good luck to the organisers...

Cheers

Simon

It's a shame that people decide to go to an exhibition or not based on whether there's a layout there that relates closely to their interests. Good modelling is good modeling regardless of era or area. There are only ten or so layouts at Scaleforum each year so I imagine it's difficult to get that broad sweep and please everyone without ending up repeating certain layouts. Personally I look forward to seeing Wansbeck Road. It's not my area of interest nor my chosen scale but having seen pictures of it looks lovely. I'm sure there will be lots of good modelling to appreciate on the other layouts to.

Perhaps but there again It's a long drive and I can get the bits I want cheaper by post. In my view it shows a lack of imagination to have all BR or western region layouts.

The first part is completely understandable and no one is forcing you to go. Ultimately Scaleforum is a showcase for the Scalefour Society and the organisers can only book layouts that are avaliable from it's membership. I don't think that has anything to do with a lack of imagination on the memberships part or the organisers. People will model what they want to rather than do it because it's somehow different and the organisers are always on the look out new layouts to invite. Of course if anyone thinks that there aren't nearly enough pre first world war P4 layouts based on the Caledonian Railway.....

I think that the organisers have assembled a particularly strong set of demonstrators this year covering a wide range of topics. This to me is just as valid a reason to attend as to view the layouts. Let him who feels that he has nothing more to learn say so and I shall reply that he is talking from a part of the body not designed for speech.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Two changes to the list of attractions for Scaleforum 2012:

- Elcot Road, the Model Rail Express project layout that is being serialised in the magazine will NOT be appearing. This is because the schedule of works means that it is still a "work in progress" and the exhibition already has one layout that is there to demonstrate P4 modelling in progress.

- The space made available will be used to enable "CD3D Modelmaking" to attend Scaleforum. In their own words:

"We offer a rapidly growing range of laser cut kits from freelance British narrow gauge wagons to Canadian Pacific building kits. As well as the standard kits we also offer a bespoke kit service for those who want something we don't offer. This can be everything from a single window for a kit that is no longer produced, or a batch of special wagons that you need for your layout. We also make a range of laser cut plants and foliage for those who want to take their layout detail to the next level"

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CD3D-Modelmaking/293197430736584

We hope to see you at Leatherhead on 29 and 30 September 2012.

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Marketing Manager

Well nothing will keep me away - except for illness, work rescheduling or SWIMBO (I can usually control the latter) It is always a welcome show to break the fast of not a single show in the south since Railex and to get back into the plethora of shows leading up to Xmas. The trade is always outstanding and provides an chance to gain a few boxes and those little bits ready for the wet winter days.

Not too impressed with the list of layouts but that is because there is nothing that stands out as new. It never bothers me that they are all GWR or all LNER as long as I can pick up a few tips from the operators and owners and get the inspirational flow reinvigorated. But then the layouts are always secondary for me and I don't expect a show to have everything I like.

Three out of ten being GWR or ex-GWR (you can't really bundle New Mere in the same fold) is hardly over the top (and I'm no brunelophile). What matters is surely the quality of the modelling.

And the opportunity to meet traders and like-minded modellers is more important that the layouts anyway.

Rod

What a lot of negative comments, it's Scaleforum. I am attending both days as a punter and looking forward to it.

I can think of a lot of "larger" exhibitions I wouldn't travel a quarter of the distance to. No don't ask me to name and shame....

Guest jim s-w

- Elcot Road, the Model Rail Express project layout that is being serialised in the magazine will NOT be appearing. This is because the schedule of works means that it is still a "work in progress" and the exhibition already has one layout that is there to demonstrate P4 modelling in progress.

We had 4 last year!!

I too have never understood the 'no ones exhibiting what i have got at home so im not going mentality'. A good model is a good model, it really doesnt matter what it is. If you only ever look at the same thing you will end up with a layout full of cliches.

I also dont understand why pople post that they are not interested in something. What are they expecting from doing so? The organisers to change the line up or something? Its just making a noise for the sake of making a noise!

Cheers

Jim

We had 4 last year!!

I too have never understood the 'no ones exhibiting what i have got at home so im not going mentality'. A good model is a good model, it really doesnt matter what it is. If you only ever look at the same thing you will end up with a layout full of cliches.

I also dont understand why pople post that they are not interested in something. What are they expecting from doing so? The organisers to change the line up or something? Its just making a noise for the sake of making a noise!

Cheers

Jim

I am not suggesting that they change the line up for this year but it may influence the following years line up if they get a lot of feedback suggesting more variety could be a good thing.

Guest jim s-w

You might be right, however your 'feedback' was "I have to say there is not much of interest to me in the layouts on show." Which doesnt suggest anything and cant really be called feedback at all.

Cheers

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Archived