Scaleforum 2012

Decapod

"So rich" - a quote from Moriaty in the Goon Show. Radio 4 Extra, Tuesdays 12:00 (mid day)

I have either Radio 4 or 4Extra on at work for anything up twleve hours a day at work!

26mpg may not be bad for the car in question, but sure is an expensive way to travel nowadays. I have a friend who has a Porsche 911 :angry: which delivers over 33 mpg driven fairly hard. "Economical car" doesn't mean slow. If you ever get a chance to try a fairly modern 2.0L turbo diesel, you'll see what I mean.

I've driven plenty of different cars and I don't like the power delivery on a lot of diesels - a typical two litre turbo diesel has a very narrow power band compared properly tuned petrol engine. There's a reason, after all, why the words 'diesel' and 'devil' are so similar... A bigger diesel eninge with an auto box is quite a different propersition though! And while I have a short journey to work I can easily justify a slightly thirsty car!

.....26mpg may not be bad for the car in question, but sure is an expensive way to travel nowadays. I have a friend who has a Porsche 911 :angry: which delivers over 33 mpg driven fairly hard.

He's doing slightly better than my 30-year-old 635CSi, which averages around 24mpg, but that only comes out at weekends.

"Economical car" doesn't mean slow. If you ever get a chance to try a fairly modern 2.0L turbo diesel, you'll see what I mean.

Particularly if it has been remapped / tweaked :butcher:

:offtopic:

Any more pics from the show?

TIA :D

Very quickly...

One from Tim Venton of Brixcombe:

post-3210-0-89918600-1349178985_thumb.jpg

One from Lyn Perkins of Quai:87:

post-3210-0-14379500-1349179035_thumb.jpg

One from Nigel Chandler of Dorchester Junction:

post-3210-0-04942000-1349179077_thumb.jpg

More to follow when I get chance, or you will find many on the Scalefour Society website when this year's Retrospective is published in a few days' time.

Paul Willis

Deputy Chairman

Good idea - discussions on mpg can be held elsewhere...

Quite, but they did sort of arise on topic as part of the congestion experienced and associated cost of getting to and from the show.

Always nice to see photos ON TOPIC and appreciated even though I was there to see them live - just wish my camera had functioned and I too could contribute as in the past. But I am not happy to have to go OFF FORUM just to see them.

Quite, but they did sort of arise on topic as part of the congestion experienced and associated cost of getting to and from the show.

Aside from my choice of car being 'judged' my point is relevent. If I was travelling alone I couldn't really justify spending so much but split between three or four it's not so bad. I also gave up a Sunday so the show has cost me quite a bit anyway!

Sadly travelling costs are a real consideration when choosing which shows to attend - if I can't spend a full day somewhere then, as with the case with Nottingham this year, I couldn't justify the outlay for just three hours in the show, owing to having to be back in time for a late shift on the Sunday.

Were there any Scalefour layouts at Scaleforum?

JE

Yes. Along with the best set of Traders and Demo's of any show I know of.

And to those who have said earlier in this thread that there's no fun to be had with P4 modellers and Scaleforum, nothing could be further from the truth. Watching all the derailments, Hands of God and scratching of heads is an absolute hoot!!! :jester: ( A joke fellas. Honest.)

Met

• RMweb Gold

And to those who have said earlier in this thread that there's no fun to be had with P4 modellers and Scaleforum, nothing could be further from the truth.

Well, I'm a P4 modeller.... and I had a lot of fun...

Other P4 modellers that I know, also had a lot of fun.

I agree re the trade support as well, btw, excellent range of items. The Bring & Buy was also very good again, thanks to John (Metropolitan) for all his hard work and that of his team.

But I am not happy to have to go OFF FORUM just to see them.

Paul (Flymo) has already said there are more to come (on here), and I imagine others will also appear in due course. As for going OFF FORUM are you actually suggesting that the Scalefour Society are at fault for using their own members to contribute to and compile an 'official' photographic record of the event which is placed on their own website and thereby inconveniencing you? Or have I missed an announcement that the Scalefour Society is now part of Warners/RMWeb? Oh by the way it will be in the public area of the site so anyone can view them (and previous show retrospectives). I suppose when this year's retrospective is ready and a link posted on here you won't be clicking on it then.

Paul (Flymo) has already said there are more to come (on here),

and I've already acknowledged my thanks for those already posted on RMWeb in the usual way

and I imagine others will also appear in due course.

and would have included mine, had I not been curtailed.

As for going OFF FORUM are you actually suggesting that the Scalefour Society are at fault for using their own members to contribute to and compile an 'official' photographic record of the event which is placed on their own website.

no, they can do what they like on their website. I'm not a member and as you indicated "official" record it would suggest that only those "approved" by the society will appear.

It may come as a surprise that not everyone that attended was a member and although they may well have taken unofficial photos may wish to post them here rather than there.

Oh by the way it will be in the public area of the site so anyone can view them.

It seems to me that those reading this topic are members of RMWeb and are calling for photos to be published here.It does seem odd that most of the big show topics do get a selection of photos posted fairly quickly, and although there have been a few of one layout in particular (and an excellent layout it is) it was not the only one there.

I suppose when this year's retrospective is ready and a link posted on here you won't be clicking on it then.

you already know the answer to that.

Guest jim s-w

Kenton

Either you have been infected by a heavy dose of stupid or (as I suspect) you are trying to argue a point you dont have (again)

Yes pictures of shows get posted on here BUT by members of RMweb - not 'official' show pictures. Apparently no RMweb members seem to have taken piccies this time, simples!

AFAIK scaleforum does have a show photographer - there is no embargo on pictures from the show appearing anywhere (I dont think anyone in the scalefour society is clueless enough to not know how the law of copyright relates to ownership of images.)

Quite why you seem incapable of going to the open area of another website is beyond me.

I have a question for you, why are you even involved in this hobby? Everything about it seems a source of irritation or grief for you. I cant recall you ever posting anything at all that was not a moan or a gripe about something or other, Do you actually get any enjoyment out of railway modelling at all because if I am honest you come across as one of the most miserable people I have ever met.

Jim

I wish I had gone now as this was the last at Leatherhead. I've been the last couple of years and found it very good, especially the trade support. My car is on its last legs and may not have made it (at any mpg!), so I decided not to go (hopefully getting a new replacement car soon). I would have made more effort to go by train and after learning of the problems with the M25, it would have been the best way for me. Now the exhibition is moving to Stock Mandeville, it's over 2 hours by car or train. I might try going to Railex next May as a test run.

Hi Kenton,

You've lost me. Anyone who went to Scaleforum and took some pictures can post them on RMweb if they wish. Or anywhere else. Or pictures of somewhere else. Or not.

Martin.

It was a response to 10800 - which could have been better worded and less contrived.

I was never indicating other than exactly as you stated.

But the photos posted on the Scale4um web site would, as 10800 indicated would be official. Thereby sanctioned by them and no doubt selectively professional. It others post on a Scale4um forum - I care not as that is their forum and not RMWeb so good luck to them but I have no interest.

There have been several requests here for photos and I was simply adding to the call that there doesn't seem to be the usual run of "unofficial" photos posted. Just see it as another polite request for some photos of the other layouts to be posted here.

Why does the membership of Scale4um have to be so overprotective, is that why the insular reputation spreads outside?

I was at Scaleforum, thoroughly enjoyed myself and took some photos. I haven't had the chance yet to download them from the camera.

As a Scalefour Society member I have also passed along images taken a previous events, and these have appeared as part of the official show retrospective on the web - so definitely not professional !

Chris

• RMweb Gold
But the photos posted on the Scale4um web site would, as 10800 indicated would be official.

Hi Kenton,

What on earth do you mean by "official"? What happens is that a member volunteers to create a web page retrospective of the show, and invites anyone with pics to submit them. It's the compiler's choice which to include. In practice I suspect that almost all of them are used, and often the compiler calls for some more to make up the numbers. The result is then posted on the Scalefour Society web site, visible to all-comers. The pics remain the property of the contributors, and are so credited.

Martin.

Hi Kenton,

What on earth do you mean by "official"?

Martin I was merely quoting 10800 - perhaps you should ask him, I didn't start it.

are you actually suggesting that the Scalefour Society are at fault for using their own members to contribute to and compile an 'official' photographic record of the event which is placed on their own website

my emphasis in bold

Jim,

You, and others, are entitle to make up preconceived ideas of me based on obviously a selective choice of posts, but we have not met as far as I am aware. However, I do not see there is need to be so offensive or to make personal judgements on the character of another member who you have no knowledge.

have only just seen this thread....

Smashing pics of what I'm sure was a good show....

Indeed, it's unfortunate there aren't / were'nt more....

As for nothing at a show being of interest,

sometimes, shows are like that.....

I've been to a few shows where there is little quality modelling to note,

but I always find something worth looking at;

it may be just a the basis of a good idea,

or one specific area of a model that sets my mind looking to expand the possibilities......

Some shows are better than others,

but I don't think I've been to 2 in row, that were totally un-inspiring

I try to find something positive, but that's what I always try to do...

If there's nothing there, then I might buy a wagon,

or search those boxes under tables for a 2nd hand book / unfinished kit

As for the arguements on this thread.....

Whoa! Steady on chaps!

I love this hobby of ours.....

It's as involved as you want it to be,

it's historical, artistic, photographic, educational - to name a few topics

... No point in getting so worked up.....

Chin up folks :)

Marc

Oh dear, shall I head for cover ;)

It was a response to 10800 - which could have been better worded and less contrived.

I was never indicating other than exactly as you stated.

But the photos posted on the Scale4um web site would, as 10800 indicated would be official. Thereby sanctioned by them and no doubt selectively professional. It others post on a Scale4um forum - I care not as that is their forum and not RMWeb so good luck to them but I have no interest.

There have been several requests here for photos and I was simply adding to the call that there doesn't seem to be the usual run of "unofficial" photos posted. Just see it as another polite request for some photos of the other layouts to be posted here.

Why does the membership of Scale4um have to be so overprotective, is that why the insular reputation spreads outside?

I don't see anyone being overly protective of anything. Indeed the people who are being insular are those who don't wish to look byond the great ship RMweb. There's nothing nasty on the Scalefour Society's forum. It's free for all to view, no one asks you for a membership number when you type in the URL and there's a guest section for those who aren't members to contribute. It's full of great modelling and thankfully lacks the boring petty bickering that seems to break out on here on an almost hourly basis.

There are no Society equivalents of Peter Mandelson scrutinising content for publication on the website or forum. The only thing 'official' about the retrospective is that it's published on the website. It's not passed as 'fit for viewing' at any point by the comittee. Someone, very kindly, volunteers to put it together, that's it.

......There are no Society equivalents of Peter Mandelson scrutinising content for publication on the website or forum. The only thing 'official' about the retrospective is that it's published on the website. It's not passed as 'fit for viewing' at any point by the comittee. Someone, very kindly, volunteers to put it together, that's it.

And long may those kindly volunteers do so,

with the thanks of many like-minded folk :)

Archived